• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Denver/Aspen this week

hvtopiwala

Hey guys,

Will be visiting Denver and Aspen for 7 days. I looked around online (specifically handgunlaw.us) and wanted to get some more information on restricted areas for concealed carry (i don't plan on open carrying). Here in florida, we are not permitted to carry in any establishment that is considered a bar (primary source of income is alcohol) or sit at the bar area in restaurants. Does the same apply in CO? Also, what are the restrictions in carrying in establishments that have other marijuana users present (since CO is recreationally legal) - Florida has a law that states if any illegal activities are being committed, it is unlawful to carry in that venue.

solus

so OP, last heard from (2013) you were in deep 'do do' under FL judicial investigation for 2nd deg felony...

bad, bad, hanguncarry for lacking specifics on carrying a conealed handgun forcing you to this site...

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presume that your problem from 2013 was resolved in your favor or I doubt you'd have a permit to question how it might be received in another state.

Colorado does recognize Florida permit.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/chpreciprocity

Denver and Denver County do not allow OC:
" Colorado was once one of our “Gold Star” open carry states. However, Denver filed and won a suit challenging the states excellent preemption law. Consequently, both open carry and unlicensed open car carry in Denver are prohibited. There are reports that other localities are planning to follow suit. Currently, outside of Denver, car carry is unrestricted and localities are almost completely preempted in enforcing firearms restrictions, and must post specific facilities which are off limits to open carry."
http://www.opencarry.org/florida/colorado/

See drop down for Maps on the above link for more information.

hvtopiwala

my issue from 2013 was completely resolved, and i have a valid Florida CC permit.

i was just looking for more specific guidelines on where i am allowed to conceal carry, such as bars etc.. as Florida does not allow carry in alcoholic establishments etc..

Last edited:

jackrockblc

my issue from 2013 was completely resolved, and i have a valid Florida CC permit.

i was just looking for more specific guidelines on where i am allowed to conceal carry, such as bars etc.. as Florida does not allow carry in alcoholic establishments etc..

Colorado law does not prevent you from carrying in an alcoholic establishment - either bar or liquor store. However, you cannot be "under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a of a controlled substance..." (C.R.S. 18-12-106(1)(e)).

You cannot carry into a place that security personnel and electronic screening equipment is posted. This is how we can carry in my local DMV, but not the courtrooms, despite them sharing the same building. Only the courtrooms have the security personnel and metal detectors. Same holds true for the airport.

You cannot carry on to a elementary, middle, junior high or high school - except if you leave it locked in a compartment in your vehicle.

Also not allowed to carry into most municipal buildings (they will be posted), but some do allow it; if it's not posted, it's not prohibited. For example, my local Sheriff's office allows concealed carry, but not open carry. And of course, federal land is off-limits in its entirety

BTW, the answer to your question about alcohol establishments is also answered on pages 9 and 10 of Handgunlaw's Colorado page.

Last edited: