• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Issues noted at our state courthouse ... 1st amend and open records issues

davidmcbeth

Banned
Seen recently many people complaining that :

1) cannot hand out political literature at courthouses
- some even anywhere on the grounds
- some only outside (but on grounds)
- some allow outside and inside but only of they OK the political lit attempting to be handed out (content bias)

2) cannot video record search checkpoints or photograph/vid police activity inside courthouses

3) cannot gain access to public records at courthouses per as the rules and law allow

Anyone have had an issues lately?

Recently I went to hand scan a court docket print-out (I'm sure we have all seen court dockets posted the that day's cases] but was told I'd be arrested for scanning court records [court records may be claimed as an exemption to our open records law but once you post them in a public place you are basically letting everyone view them and declare that the records are not being claimed as being subject to any exemption].

[not talking about inside courtrooms but common areas of courthouse ~ even though videotaping inside courtrooms is OK for media and those who ask and get approved]

Last edited: