• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any tips for non-resident deer hunters?

IA_farmboy

I know this isn't open carry related but if people will allow my diversion and indulgence here I'd like to pose a few questions as I believe the membership of this forum might be knowledgeable in this area.

I got a call from my brother in law and he said he wanted to hunt deer around here during the holidays. He'll be driving up from North Carolina, doing some business along the way, and stay for the duration of the non-resident deer season or until he fills his tags, whichever comes first. He asked me to look up the rules on non-resident deer hunting for him so he can plan for his trip. I thought I might start a thread here to pick some brains as well as offer advice to others in a similar situation.

First thing is choice of weapons. We will be hunting during the non-resident deer season and so no shotguns or rifles. I have a Ruger .45 Convertible and a Colt M1911, so I'll bring one or both of them. My BIL has a bow, a .44 Magnum, and I think he has a muzzle loader. He did say he'd bring his bow as well as a collection of handguns. I don't know if he'll bring a muzzle loader but he is aware that is an option.

In NC they allow the use of bait but Iowa does not. I've talked with deer hunters before on how they'll play with those rules but we're not going to play those games. My brother has some land as does my mom, both have given permission to hunt but if people have some advice about hunting on public land then I'd appreciate anyone that would share that advice.

How difficult would it be for my BIL to get his license and tags in Iowa? Can he just go to Gander Mountain or whatever, show his NC hunting license, pay his fees, and be good to go? As a non-resident would he have to go someplace special for getting his license? Is there any documentation he should bring to make the purchase of tags go smoothly? Since we are hunting in eastern Iowa we should each be able to get one general (buck or doe) tag, right? We're really looking to get just one deer, if things go well then we'll consider trying for more.

I believe in NC they are not required to wear orange to hunt, Iowa does. I have an orange vest and cap, but BIL might have to pick something up.

Be safe out there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I know this isn't open carry related but if people will allow my diversion and indulgence here I'd like to pose a few questions as I believe the membership of this forum might be knowledgeable in this area.

--snipped--

Related to OC as most handgun hunters generally open carry. :D

IA_farmboy

Related to OC as most handgun hunters generally open carry. :D

Okay then, if all agree then my concerns of being off topic is no more. I will re-frame my questions slightly with that in mind.

So, my BIL and I will be going handgun hunting over the Christmas and New Year holiday, our primary prey will be deer but it is possible we will hunt other game as well. He's driving up from North Carolina to hunt on family land with me, he with his .44 Magnum and I with my .45 ACP. I'd appreciate any advice to make our hunt go as smoothy as possible, especially concerning legal matters on hunting and open carry but other advice would be appreciated as well.

BIL has a NC carry license and his driving path will likely take him through OC hostile Illinois. He's traveled armed through the state before but not armed like this time. Advice on compliance with IL laws, especially considering recent changes in law there, is appreciated.

BIL has a hunting license in NC, what is the best means to convert that to a hunting license in Iowa? What differences between hunting deer in NC and hunting deer in IA should be made note of to avoid problems?

As I wish this thread to be of value to anyone that wishes to hunt in Iowa as a non-resident I'll open the discussion to advice for hunters from all states, nations, and celestial bodies.

Tucker6900

So, I know this is an old post, but did you get it figured out?

If not, I have a friend that comes from Texas every year. He buys an Iowa Non Resident hunting license and party hunts with me and a couple of other friends and uses our tags.

Your brother in law just has to purchase an Iowa Non Resident Hunting license. If you have tags available, he can party hunt with you without buying his own buck or doe tags. He can buy those, but they are a bit harder to get ahold of depending on which hunting zone you live in.