• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carolinas lead ATF regions for number of gun shop thefts

solus

quote:
In fact, more guns have been stolen in the Carolinas this year than any other field division in the country covered by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, agency spokesman Corey Ray said.

Last year, 241 guns were reported stolen from licensed retailers in North Carolina, and another 128 from South Carolina, the ATF said. The agency could not yet say each state’s total for the 900 guns stolen this year.
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article112353307.html#storylink=cpy

unquote

see those who can't pass NICS can still obtain a firearm to maintain their 2nd rights...

ipse

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article112353307.html#storylink=cpy

solus

900+ firearms allegedly missing might be a better choice of words...

ipse

RadBanker

I live in Charlotte. Called the 2 pawn shops closest to my home that were listed as FFLs, neither of them will do firearm transfers, nor do they sell firearms, because of excessive robberies. Fortunately I have a shop and range about a 10 minute drive, but these shops were all in jogging distance.

since9

Campaign Veteran
quote:
In fact, more guns have been stolen in the Carolinas this year than any other field division in the country covered by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, agency spokesman Corey Ray said.

Last year, 241 guns were reported stolen from licensed retailers in North Carolina, and another 128 from South Carolina, the ATF said. The agency could not yet say each state’s total for the 900 guns stolen this year.

unquote

see those who can't pass NICS can still obtain a firearm to maintain their 2nd rights...

ipse

Well, first of all, your text was too small to read, so I hit the Reply button to see it in normal size in the Reply to Thread window.

Unfortunately, it was then so full of formatting that whatever it was you were trying to say was lost like a needle in the haystack of /font/color/etc formatting.

Talk about burying your lead... Have you ever considered just posting what you have to say and letting it stand on its own merit instead of trying to pretty it up?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I worked for a gentleman who'd built a new boat and motorcycle store to thwart theft. He'd built the walls out of double-thick steel and concrete reinforced cinder block, with vault/prison bars (free-rolling inside bars on rollers). Sure, the bad guys tried to him him there, as well, but they never made it before the activated alarms brought the police.

In four years, the cops nabbed eight criminals out of half a dozen attempts (they worked in groups).

After that, the bad guys stopped trying.

Perhaps the boys down in S. Carolina will do something similar. Many older buildings down South have cinder block walls. Most of those could easily withstand rebar and concrete fill, along with additional physical and electronic security measures.

Expensive? Yes, but perhaps not as expensive as paying higher insurance rates because you're an easy mark.

Last edited:

solus

first since9, let me assure you, i haven't gussied up my post...what you saw was the artifacts from the cut and paste i did to assure i provided appropriate information directly from the source...

second sorry you are unable to read the cut and paste as when it pasted the font shrunk......

third...those ffls who are being broken into are leaving their firearms in their display cases and rely on their alarm systems to thwart theft.

boats and motorcycles are a tad more difficult to haul away than a quickie break then breaking in and smash cases and grab firearms.

as for expensive...yep and you know the mark-up on firearms is not the great so putting a fortress in place makes overhead for the sale of firearms prohibitive...

ipse

OC for ME

I copy text then paste any unruly font into Notepad. This mitigates any peculiar font issues.

The BATF&E would not be worried so much if the citizenry were not burdened with prior restraint laws on the manufacture, sale, and ownership of firearms used for self-defense. Firearm theft is not a new issue and the BATF&E has long past outlived its usefulness. Nothing but a thug organization bent on harming law abiding citizens. Fast/Furious comes to mind as a example.

Freedom1Man

I worked for a gentleman who'd built a new boat and motorcycle store to thwart theft. He'd built the walls out of double-thick steel and concrete reinforced cinder block, with vault/prison bars (free-rolling inside bars on rollers). Sure, the bad guys tried to him him there, as well, but they never made it before the activated alarms brought the police.

In four years, the cops nabbed eight groups of criminals out of half a dozen attempts.

After that, the bad guys stopped trying.

Perhaps the boys down in S. Carolina will do something similar. Many older buildings down South have cinder block walls. Most of those could easily withstand rebar and concrete fill, along with additional physical and electronic security measures.

Expensive? Yes, but perhaps not as expensive as paying higher insurance rates because you're an easy mark.

So the police caught 8 out of 6 of the groups that made the attempt or did 2 groups attack at one time?

since9

Campaign Veteran
first since9, let me assure you, i haven't gussied up my post...what you saw was the artifacts from the cut and paste i did to assure i provided appropriate information directly from the source...

Ahh... Thanks for the clarification.

second sorry you are unable to read the cut and paste as when it pasted the font shrunk......

53, eyesight getting worse, and a cataract forming in the right one doesn't help make my 24" HD monitor any easier to read, that's for sure. I'm looking at buying a 32" 4k TV I can use as a monitor instead.

third...those ffls who are being broken into are leaving their firearms in their display cases and rely on their alarm systems to thwart theft.

That and the fact it's a lot easier to escape with guns than a boat!

boats and motorcycles are a tad more difficult to haul away than a quickie break then breaking in and smash cases and grab firearms.

Aye.

as for expensive...yep and you know the mark-up on firearms is not the great so putting a fortress in place makes overhead for the sale of firearms prohibitive...

ipse

Then there's that... True.