• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wringing out a Glock 35 MOS

Firearms Iinstuctor

I recently acquired a Glock 35 MOS and Tijicon RMR dot sight. Frist thing I did was shoot it with the Iron sights The thing shoots high with the rear sight at lowest adjustment. I had the same problem with a Glock 34 the cure a lower rear sight.

I started to mount the RMR according to the directions and found that they don't have the right size screws to get the job done properly. The screws are too short and the sight came off the pistol after about 50 rounds.

They listed the screw size in the instruction book metric size listed off to the hardware store tried every metric screw that was even close none fit. Now to the English section and behold it takes a 6x32 brought several lengths and tried them on the sight and mounts and found the right length.

Remounted the sight and sighted it in just a tad high at 25. With various ammo 1.5 to 2 inch groups at that range several shooters had no trouble off a improvise rest to center punch 1 inch target plasters at 15 yards all the time.

Took it out to 50 yards and from a strong side barricade rest 3 inch groups. Out to 100 yards very disappointing 18 inch or so size groups. I have shot many much smaller groups with other handguns at 100 yards.

Up close and personnel say 3 to about 10 yards having trouble finding the dot and getting a quick flash sight picture and indexing properly on the target when shooting really fast I am shooting really high. I seem to be using the top of the RMR as the flash sight picture causing the my aim to be high.

It seems that after 50 years and around one hundred thousand plus rounds with iron sights my muscle memory and eyes are having a hard time adjusting to this.

I now have around 150 rounds through the combination. If I am going to carry it for self dense I really need to get those intermediate ranges down.

For precise slower shooting out to 50 yards put the dot on where you want to hit squeeze the trigger and hit what you are aiming at.

If I can't ring it out in another thousand rounds or so, back to irons and the RMR is going on a dedicated hunting handgun.

Some say the cure is high suppressor sights that co index with the dot might have to try that.

Last edited by a moderator:

solus

FI, over the last decade or so, at least a great number of years, i have discerned, the hard way, it is sometimes better to stick to the good olde, tried and true methods, and leave the new fangled techno crap to those who think it makes them kool or better at whatever.

now that said, there are also times when i just absolutely know, without a shadow of a doubt, i can and will master the new fangled techno crap if nothing else to prove a point...me winning those battles has becoming farther and farther apart!:banghead:

bottom line, why mess w/success...

but know i am rooting for you, from arar, here in ravaged NC to succeed in your efforts ~ you go!!

ipse

Firearms Iinstuctor

FI, over the last decade or so, at least a great number of years, i have discerned, the hard way, it is sometimes better to stick to the good olde, tried and true methods, and leave the new fangled techno crap to those who think it makes them kool or better at whatever.

now that said, there are also times when i just absolutely know, without a shadow of a doubt, i can and will master the new fangled techno crap if nothing else to prove a point...me winning those battles has becoming farther and farther apart!:banghead:

bottom line, why mess w/success...

but know i am rooting for you, from arar, here in ravaged NC to succeed in your efforts ~ you go!!

ipse

I used to be able to shoot irons at longer ranges with accuracy say 30 yards out to several hundred yards, aging eyes are making it much harder..

I figured a small very light weight red dot could be the answer to the problem. As I said when I have the extra seconds to find the dot and squeeze the trigger making hits is simple with it.

I am going to try it out some more I have around 1500 rounds loaded and another 2000 bullets to load for the 40S@W

If I can't get it done by then the dot is going on a dedicated hunting firearm.

Firearms Iinstuctor

After many rounds and a ton of dry fire practice I just couldn't get use to the dot sight for up close and personnel.

At the longer distances it was nice and worked well.

I took it off and replaced it with a set of night sights.

On a hunting handgun it would be nice.

On a personnel defensive handgun at least for me it wasn't working out.

To many years, to many rounds and use of iron sights.

Brian D.

After many rounds and a ton of dry fire practice I just couldn't get use to the dot sight for up close and personnel.

At the longer distances it was nice and worked well.

I took it off and replaced it with a set of night sights.

On a hunting handgun it would be nice.

On a personnel defensive handgun at least for me it wasn't working out.

To many years, to many rounds and use of iron sights.

Your experience mirrors that of those in my shooting group who have been trying out red dots on their handguns. We do lots of short, timed drills, with most targets at typical defensive distances. Only when we put a cardboard or steel out at 20 yards give or take does the RMR prove advantageous.

davidmcbeth

Banned
521685_03_mako_tactical_scope_mount_for__640.jpg

Looks goofy but works !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior