• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana open carry question

georg jetson

An openly carried firearm is not obvious if worn at 4+ o'clock in a car seat and under a seat belt, perhaps not even to officer on the passenger side window. It is quite easy to miss, especially, if not a contrasting color. Yet, to my knowledge, this is still OC and no permit required. But if you do have a permit...

Sorry bout that... I was attempting to differentiate pedestrian vs in a car. The OC is obvious while a pedestrian.

You're right, once in a car it can be hidden from view. In La., in order to be "concealed", one must have the intent to conceal, so your example is still one of OC. However, I can see how an officer may be a bit miffed at a CC permit holder for refusing to inform if it wasn't readily viewable.

I'm not a cc guy so I'm not required to inform, but if I were stopped with my sidearm in its holster and the officer approached the passenger side, I would most certainly have both of my hands on the wheel so that my hands and the firearm are viewable. In reality this never happens. When I'm involved in a traffic stop my sidearm goes under my seat and I make no mention of it. Telling a cop you have a firearm allows them (because there's no reading aptitude requirement for Supreme Court Justices) to remove it and run the serial number, adding time to the initial stop. I don't like hanging out with people while they build evidence against me.

georg jetson

I agree, my points is some cops are ignorant, some are bass-holes and some prosecutors want to make names for themselves and I just want people to be aware of the possibilities that they may have to deal with.

Yep. Since our Supreme Court has been occupied mostly by lawyers that can't read they ignorantly hand over the power to the executive branch to mess with us at will. They wouldn't do such things on purpose... would they?!?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry bout that... I was attempting to differentiate pedestrian vs in a car. The OC is obvious while a pedestrian.

You're right, once in a car it can be hidden from view. In La., in order to be "concealed", one must have the intent to conceal, so your example is still one of OC. However, I can see how an officer may be a bit miffed at a CC permit holder for refusing to inform if it wasn't readily viewable.

I'm not a cc guy so I'm not required to inform, but if I were stopped with my sidearm in its holster and the officer approached the passenger side, I would most certainly have both of my hands on the wheel so that my hands and the firearm are viewable. In reality this never happens. When I'm involved in a traffic stop my sidearm goes under my seat and I make no mention of it. Telling a cop you have a firearm allows them (because there's no reading aptitude requirement for Supreme Court Justices) to remove it and run the serial number, adding time to the initial stop. I don't like hanging out with people while they build evidence against me.
Moving the gun to under the seat can be problematic when in the midst of a traffic stop.

georg jetson

Moving the gun to under the seat can be problematic when in the midst of a traffic stop.

Well, we've certainly had our fair share of threads on vehicle carry here, and I agree with your statement. However, it's not problematic for me in practice. I drive fast and this usually results in 2 or 3 traffic stops a year for me. Under the seat it goes and my license, ins and reg is in my hand out the window in seconds. I don't keep those things separately and I don't keep them in my glove box. The process is efficient and safe. However, for those that would incur a lot of obvious movement inside the vehicle I would recommend other options.

I do stand firmly on my advise to keep knowledge of the firearm from the officer, for reasons stated above.

HeroHog

In both our vehicles, I keep our registration and insurance cards in the cars papers pouch that the manual etc. came in. That is in the driver's door pocket where it can be easily reached as you are pulling over and then plopped on the dash where it is easily seen and reached. I keep my wallet in reach so I can have my CHP and Driver's License at hand when the officer gets to the car without having to dig for my wallet where my hands would be out of sight. Yes, I may move around in the car before they get there but I will do it with the dome light on at night and my hands visible at all times as they approach my vehicle and my window will be down when they get there. If they ask what I was doing, I tell them and I tell them why. I let them know it was for their peace of mind and my safety.

HeroHog

As a reference guys, I have carried guns in my car, openly and concealed for 35 or so years now and have had several interactions with State, Sheriff's Officers and City police during that time for things ranging from accidents (not my fault), speeding (definitely my fault), road rage/assault with a deadly weapon (SOB was lucky I didn't shoot his dumb butt. I legally could have and had my gun with me in the glove box at the time!), and several other incidents involving Open Carry or breaking up an assault while armed but not touching my gun. Anyway, in EVERY case, because I followed the law, respected the cops, was calm and rational, wasn't dressed like Rambo, a Ninja or cowboy, and handled myself properly, hands away from my gun, no sudden moves, following orders and asking what they wanted me to do, I had NO issues and went home free and with all my property and no charges to worry about.