• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clothing options for summer (concealed carry)

No_Smoking

Hey all, I'm fairly new to concealed carry.. maybe going on a year total. I've found that I really like tucking shirts into my holsters for added concealability. Using a thin undershirt and than a regular tshirt on top. The problem with summer time, is... i'm getting too dang hot lol.

I'm wondering what you guys do? Just run a longer tshirt, or maybe there are undershirts designed to keep you cool in the summer?

(ah crap, just noticed this is an 'open carry' forum LOL. my bad.)

Last edited:

solus

Hey all, I'm fairly new to concealed carry.. maybe going on a year total. I've found that I really like tucking shirts into my holsters for added concealability. Using a thin undershirt and than a regular tshirt on top. The problem with summer time, is... i'm getting too dang hot lol.

I'm wondering what you guys do? Just run a longer tshirt, or maybe there are undershirts designed to keep you cool in the summer?

humm...welcome to the nation's foremost OC site...:eek:

membership, normally do not worry about length of our undershirts, etc...

now being from OR and its myriad of carry laws between the state's cities you have my sincere best wishes trying to solve your clothing needs to stay legal...

keep carrying and stay cool...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Many of us here, while preferring to OC, do have concealed carry permits for those times when we must for various reasons go CC.

We discuss both of these methods frequently - it is not a violation of the Forum Rules.

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

Eh. I live in 110 degree heat pretty much every day and if I CC and still want to carry my full sized handgun, I do so. I don't wear baggy pants or a oversized shirt. Main thing you should think about is your holster. Plenty of holsters out there than can conceal your firearm very well even with form fitting clothes. I normally carry at the 3 but just got a new holster and am going to try carrying it the appendix. Seems to do very well there even though I'm 198lbs and wear a form fitting shirt and fitting jeans.

If you tuck your shirt in and tuck it into your holster or around it, yea that can help. I used to do that with my first holsters that were a little big. You just have to understand if you carry certain handguns it'll print because of the size. Some just can't be completely concealable which isn't a HUUUUUGE deal imho.

Wstar425

About the only place I conceal is church and off site school functions. I absolutely HATE having my shirt untucked, so it is Hawaiian shirts Sunday morning in the summer, if I must, and a sport coat and jeans the rest of the year with a OWB holster. Tried various tuckable IWB but with the 226 it's just too much of a lump on my side to realistically be not noticed. Having said that people really do not much pay attention to what is going on around them, in my opinion. If I do get asked about it, I just say it's my colonoscopy bag, wanna see it? No takers yet.

Prefer open carry by leaps and bounds. Plus, I get to talk firearms with people every once in a while. Sunday after church went out to breakfast then grocery shopping. No mention was made about firearm at either place. I only noticed one guy all bugged eyed at Walmart, but would say only one or two other people even noticed. It's kind of liberating/scary/weird/pick your own word, walking around a store like Walmart OC and intentionally watching people for reactions and noticing that nobody even knows there is an OC firearm 3-4 feet away from them.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My understanding Oregon is a open carry state with a permit. OC solves the problem of dressing for hiding a gun. CC buy a smaller gun, bigger clothes.

There is always the option of a conceal carry man purse.

STUFF06.jpg

HPmatt

Here in hot sunny summer Dallas at the office when dressed nicely I CC OWB under my sportcoat.
Now that Texas allows OC (w. a permission slip) in summer when not wearing a coat (YES) I OC - w shirt tucked in.
Really have had few notice/comment, but to enhance my svelte figure a sun absorbing black shirts camouflage my non-descript black gun & holster.

Since you are in Oregon, a lot of our members, have resorted to the Hybrid Organic Carry - HOC - where they purposefully ingest more calories than they need, in order to produce organic cover, in which they can confidently, and naturally, secrete various types of weapons about their body mass.... This more natural approach allows them to cut down on the layers of clothes they need to wear, and thus be secure in their person, but yet reduce their carbon footprint by not needing to wash as many clothes as more insensitive ecologically damaging people.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I absolutely HATE having my shirt untucked, ... I just say it's my colonoscopy bag, wanna see it? No takers yet. ...

I'm with you on the shirts. #1 reason to OC, in my book. It just makes that much more sense in the summer heat.

Might stave off a few more weirdos if you call it a colostomy bag.

Taypo

I'm with you on the shirts. #1 reason to OC, in my book. It just makes that much more sense in the summer heat.

+1

I have to conceal at work (untucked polo over tshirt) and it drives me nuts.

Brian D.

This is likely obvious to many here, but not all shirt materials are "built the same" with regards to hot weather comfort. Some synthetic blends breathe, others, even though thin and seemingly lightweight, are stifling. I like all-cotton the best.

WalkingWolf

This is likely obvious to many here, but not all shirt materials are "built the same" with regards to hot weather comfort. Some synthetic blends breathe, others, even though thin and seemingly lightweight, are stifling. I like all-cotton the best.

I prefer white cotton t shirts with a pocket in the summer. Of course though when I was a tad pole there was only one color for t shirts.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

I thought I did, too, and I have some nice 100% cotton work polos. But then, wow, I tried the latest and greatest performance fabrics, and what a difference. My cotton ones haven't been worn in over a year now that I found these 5.11 performance polos.

http://www.511tactical.com/performance-short-sleeve-polo.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I thought I did, too, and I have some nice 100% cotton work polos. But then, wow, I tried the latest and greatest performance fabrics, and what a difference. My cotton ones haven't been worn in over a year now that I found these 5.11 performance polos.

http://www.511tactical.com/performance-short-sleeve-polo.html
There is no question but that the new fabrics are a major step up for hot weather wear.

I saved my old cotton polos for cooler weather and the layered look - short sleeve shirt over a long sleeved tee or mock turtle, mix or match colors too.

Wstar425

Might stave off a few more weirdos if you call it a colostomy bag.

Ha!! I knew my word didn't seem quite right. You are correct, sir!

Got caught in a brief rain shower on my dog walk last night. Did the "Virginia tuck?" last half block home, but ended up cleaning and lubing anyhow. Got soaked.

WalkingWolf

Got caught in a brief rain shower on my dog walk last night. Did the "Virginia tuck?" last half block home, but ended up cleaning and lubing anyhow. Got soaked.

That is why God created umbrellas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That is why God created umbrellas.
"The remedy is the umbrella holster. A leather band roughly two inches in diameter and one inch across, the umbrella holster is fixed to a sturdy clip that can easily be affixed to any belt or waistband. The holster, set at a convenient 45 degree angle, keeps an 8 to 12 inch umbrella securely and conveniently on hand for those unexpected showers."
http://braincanvas.org/the-umbrella-holster

WalkingWolf

"The remedy is the umbrella holster. A leather band roughly two inches in diameter and one inch across, the umbrella holster is fixed to a sturdy clip that can easily be affixed to any belt or waistband. The holster, set at a convenient 45 degree angle, keeps an 8 to 12 inch umbrella securely and conveniently on hand for those unexpected showers."
http://braincanvas.org/the-umbrella-holster

Interesting but I prefer a 36" umbrella though, it acts both as a cane, self defense tool, or an umbrella.

PerBast

Clothing options

Many of us here, while preferring to OC, do have concealed carry permits for those times when we must for various reasons go CC.

We discuss both of these methods frequently - it is not a violation of the Forum Rules.

Greetings all.

I am one of those that definitely prefers to OC when I can. That move from North Carolina where OC was within my rights and now being in South Carolina where they soil their pants if your shirt rides up to far. I am having to readjust my wardrobe to ensure I have shirts that cover far enough down to cover my sidearm.....

Michael