• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So I am confused

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I was understanding that I could open carry in Colorado I live in CA and have a ccw but after reading this I guess I am not allowed Colorado don't recognize CA. So is this true http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/open-and-concealed-gun-carry-laws-colorado.htm

Open Carry is legal in Colorado with exceptions. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. Those who open Carry also have more restrictions than those with a Concealed Carry Permit/License. Public Transportation is off limits to those who Open Carry. (See 18-9-118) See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle. Denver won a court case stating it can control Open Carry in Denver and Open Carry is illegal in Denver. Other cities have banned Open Carry on their city owned property. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.

29-11.7-104. Regulation -Carrying -Posting
A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

jackrockblc

OP, your link is chock full of misinformation. It assumes that the only way to carry is concealed, which is false.

Open carry is allowed everywhere here except in Denver. some municipalities do prohibit certain city-controlled property against carrying, but they have to be posted. Private property signs don't carry the force of law, unless there are electronic screening devices and security personnel.

OC is fine, resident or not. But, as you noted, your CA permit won't allow you to legally carry concealed here in Colorado. But most jurisdictions are fine with it (again, the prominent exception is Denver). Some police officers may not like it, and may give you a hard time. I have never had such an experience in the past two years of open carrying.

What area are you visiting? If I have a more precise idea of the location, I might be able to provide more info. I have friends and coworkers all over the state.

kardar2

OP, your link is chock full of misinformation. It assumes that the only way to carry is concealed, which is false.

Open carry is allowed everywhere here except in Denver. some municipalities do prohibit certain city-controlled property against carrying, but they have to be posted. Private property signs don't carry the force of law, unless there are electronic screening devices and security personnel.

OC is fine, resident or not. But, as you noted, your CA permit won't allow you to legally carry concealed here in Colorado. But most jurisdictions are fine with it (again, the prominent exception is Denver). Some police officers may not like it, and may give you a hard time. I have never had such an experience in the past two years of open carrying.

What area are you visiting? If I have a more precise idea of the location, I might be able to provide more info. I have friends and coworkers all over the state.

Thanks I had a hunch it was bad info but I just ant to stay out of hot water we will be traveling along Hwy 50 Salida and on over to Wichita KS.

Dario

It also claims one has to be 21 to carry. Federal law prohibits purchasing a handgun until 21 but there is no law (state of federal) that prohibits possession or carry for people over 18. Under 18 only handguns are illegal (with exceptions). My son carried a slung Enfield .303 trick or treating when he was 15 and we even knocked on a state troopers door, car was parked in the driveway (oddly enough nobody answered the door) :banghead:

Side note: saw an OCer today at the local Kroger's a few minutes ago, he was on his phone but we both pointed at each other and exchanged thumbs up :)

jackrockblc

Thanks I had a hunch it was bad info but I just ant to stay out of hot water we will be traveling along Hwy 50 Salida and on over to Wichita KS.

Ah, so that route will take you through Montrose, Gunnison, Pueblo, La Junta - all areas my company works in. And from talking with those guys, they're all fairly firearm friendly (especially before you cross to the east side of the Divide). I don't think you'll have any problems. Just watch for "No Gun" signs. While they are rare and do NOT carry the Force of Law, you'll be quickly trespassed since you'll be open carrying.

But it's too bad that route doesn't take you through Rifle. Otherwise, you'd get a chance to eat at Shooter's, where they encourage open carrying (and the food's pretty damn good, too!).

It also claims one has to be 21 to carry. Federal law prohibits purchasing a handgun until 21 but there is no law (state of federal) that prohibits possession or carry for people over 18.

Ah,I missed that in the link. But 100% correct (on your part).