• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Say Homeowner Suspected of Shooting Two Firefighters During ‘Welfare Check’

Law abider

A welfare check? What's that? I suppose it is a 'poor' person. If so. Has a gun which costs money. If he is on welfare probably cannot afford it. Don't know if he has a carry license because he cannot afford it either. A welfare check I suppose means that he has an EBT card. He shoots fire fighters dressed in uniforms thinking they were breaking through? I thought knocking was the first thing that has to happen. Surely he wasn't being swatted and thought someone was breaking in. I know they would have said police! open up! Have to wait to get details.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-cops-s...gedly-thought-breaking-fire/story?id=38466315

B

Bikenut

A welfare check? What's that? I suppose it is a 'poor' person. If so. Has a gun which costs money. If he is on welfare probably cannot afford it. Don't know if he has a carry license because he cannot afford it either. A welfare check I suppose means that he has an EBT card. He shoots fire fighters dressed in uniforms thinking they were breaking through? I thought knocking was the first thing that has to happen. Surely he wasn't being swatted and thought someone was breaking in. I know they would have said police! open up! Have to wait to get details.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/man-cops-s...gedly-thought-breaking-fire/story?id=38466315
A "welfare check" is when someone "checks" on the "welfare" of someone to make sure they are Ok and not in some kind of danger or if they need help of some kind. Welfare checks are often done to check on the elderly and infirm to see if they are Ok or need help of any kind.

Last edited by a moderator:

WalkingWolf

My wife had a girlfriend who lost her CHP due to a swatted welfare check. Her boyfriend who wanted to breakup, and have her removed from the house called in a welfare check saying she was committing suicide. In fear of her dogs being shot she locked herself in a bathroom with her dogs, and a day long standoff ensued. Even though she told them she was unarmed, and not committing suicide. The sheriffs dept would not stand down until she agreed to commit herself, causing her to lose her 2A rights.

Considering that criminals will use any excuse to gain entry, plus the abuses of the so called "welfare check", it is understandable that the man was in fear. The first thing that needs to be done in any welfare check is to make a phone call, next blare the sirens so the person knows full well it is police, or EMT/Fire.

Law abider

My wife had a girlfriend who lost her CHP due to a swatted welfare check. Her boyfriend who wanted to breakup, and have her removed from the house called in a welfare check saying she was committing suicide. In fear of her dogs being shot she locked herself in a bathroom with her dogs, and a day long standoff ensued. Even though she told them she was unarmed, and not committing suicide. The sheriffs dept would not stand down until she agreed to commit herself, causing her to lose her 2A rights.

Considering that criminals will use any excuse to gain entry, plus the abuses of the so called "welfare check", it is understandable that the man was in fear. The first thing that needs to be done in any welfare check is to make a phone call, next blare the sirens so the person knows full well it is police, or EMT/Fire.

That I agree with, which I thought why did it not happen? The firefighter died for nothing. I suppose leaves a family and child behind. Sad. I don't know if the DA will drop the case since it was a welfare check. So I suppose the person had something to give a reason for the check. Maybe he won't be allowed to have a gun now. Sad

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

My understanding is that involuntary commitment can cause loss of gun rights, but that voluntary commitment does not.

"The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution."
See page #3:
http://ncids.org/Defender Training/Civil Commitment 2004/FirearmConseq.pdf

WalkingWolf

My understanding is that involuntary commitment can cause loss of gun rights, but that voluntary commitment does not.

"The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or a voluntary admission to a mental institution."
See page #3:
http://ncids.org/Defender Training/Civil Commitment 2004/FirearmConseq.pdf

Well the sheriff took her permit, and she now fails an instant background check. I think the operative word is commitment. Disgusted she moved back to New York.

But the A hole did not get off the hook, he was charged with filing a false police report, all the guns in the home he owned were confiscated. Plus due to her bruises he was charged with DV, so he lost his 2A rights also, only his is permanent. My understanding is she will get hers back after five years.