• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An argument against nylon multi-fit holsters

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

WalkingWolf

While I don't like nylon holsters, almost all modern guns will not go boom unless the trigger is pulled. It gets tiresome when someone screws up, and the holster gets the blame.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Truth of the matter, we do not know what really happened - only what the man claims must have happened.

Could be he is hiding a big mistake in the way he handled his gun.

solus

WW, et al., if you have a hole in a arse cheek, from your firearm, would you say...oppps i screwed up or would you soothe your conscious by saying it was an equipment malfunction?

btw...it appeared to be the individual's left cheek was ventilated straight up and down yet the holster is a right side carry...hummmm,, me thinks the individual misuses a right handed carry holster as a small of the back holster...especially since the hole seems to be almost perpendicular to the individual's crack...

individual was lucky

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WW, et al., if you have a hole in a arse cheek, from your firearm, would you say...oppps i screwed up or would you soothe your conscious by saying it was an equipment malfunction?

btw...it appeared to be the individual's left cheek was ventilated straight up and down yet the holster is a right side carry...hummmm,, me thinks the individual misuses a right handed carry holster as a small of the back holster...especially since the hole seems to be almost perpendicular to the individual's crack...

individual was lucky

ipse
Look at the first picture again - there is a definite angle when a line is drawn between the entry and exit wounds.

Satdiver

nylon holster

I think another question to ask, is which type of pistol was he carrying?

Now I don't mean to start a "which gun is better" or "anti-Glock" thread. With that being said, it appears to me that almost every single story I read about ND's are with Glocks and my guess is he was carrying a Glock.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=glock+negligent+discharge

I own several Glocks and like them all, but I carry an XDM for both OC & CC, primarily for the extra safeties. I know a lot of people hate the grip safety and will sight this as a reason not to carry an XDM, yet I rarely if ever here this argument against 1911's.

Here is a good example of holstering an XDM to avoid a ND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVypcypK4M4

I am sure numerous people here have read stories of the shooters shirt, etc. getting caught in the trigger guard of their Glock while re holstering and discharging the gun.

But like I said my intent is not to bash Glock just to bring up what I see as a valid point of discussion in this ND case.

Also, never liked or even considered a nylon holster, just not my taste in holsters.

:)

Maverick9

Don't taze me bro, but when I do use a holster like this, which is occasionally, I use a triggerguard block like Safe-T-Block. I also use S-T-B for my firearms which are in presentation portable gun safes. Having to reach into a safe at night, I want some additional protection against an errant finger. They are a bit expensive but with some enterprise you can make your own. Be careful and do some training with snap-caps before going 'live'. :)

These little push out blocks don't require any extra movement before your normal draw and pre-fire stroke, in my experience.

When would you use the nylon holsters? Well, perhaps in a jacket carry, in a 5.11 underarm holster shirt. You really don't want to ever have an exposed trigger unless you're in a specific situation (such as ready to engage the BG through a jacket pocket).

FWIW

solus

Look at the first picture again - there is a definite angle when a line is drawn between the entry and exit wounds.

and the exit wound to the vehicle ?

me thinks there is more to this tale of carelessness...

ipse

OC for ME

As an experienced handler of firearms, Matt got home from the hospital and immediately started inspecting everything. He couldn’t get the striker to drop without pulling the trigger. Everything with the firearm is in 100% working order.
Not so experienced after all.

Glock?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

When did "Glock" become the preferred synonym for idjit with a gun managing to simultaneously violate at least 2 of the 4 rules of gun safety? I hear tell that you can tie back that flipper thingummy and still nothing will happen until enough pressure is applied to the trigger itself.

Given enough creativity (and I don't think it takes all that much) just about anyone should be able to perform that trick shot with just about any handgun in combination with just about any holster. As a matter of fact, IIRC some "trainer" who had/had a YouTube channel creased his butt with a worn out leather holster being the culprit. (Inspect your equipment regularly and repair/replace as necessary.)

Put it in the holster in the morning. Leave it there and do not fiddle with it. Put it away when you go to bed (unless you subscribe to the theory of "it lives in the holster unless and until it needs to be taken out and used"). Do that and even the cheapest Cousin Whatshizname holster should cause you no problems.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When did "Glock" become the preferred synonym for idjit with a gun managing to simultaneously violate at least 2 of the 4 rules of gun safety? I hear tell that you can tie back that flipper thingummy and still nothing will happen until enough pressure is applied to the trigger itself.

Given enough creativity (and I don't think it takes all that much) just about anyone should be able to perform that trick shot with just about any handgun in combination with just about any holster. As a matter of fact, IIRC some "trainer" who had/had a YouTube channel creased his butt with a worn out leather holster being the culprit. (Inspect your equipment regularly and repair/replace as necessary.)

Put it in the holster in the morning. Leave it there and do not fiddle with it. Put it away when you go to bed (unless you subscribe to the theory of "it lives in the holster unless and until it needs to be taken out and used"). Do that and even the cheapest Cousin Whatshizname holster should cause you no problems.

stay safe.
A multi-fit nylon holster might get a rock/pebble inside the trigger guard. Then any draw stroke involving some down pressure (think thumb release) could discharge the handgun. :p :p

The best safety is the one mounted on one's shoulders and not all of those were built as designed.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A multi-fit nylon holster might get a rock/pebble inside the trigger guard. Then any draw stroke involving some down pressure (think thumb release) could discharge the handgun. :p :p

The best safety is the one mounted on one's shoulders and not all of those were built as designed.

You mean like that plastic coffin your purdy gun is forced to live in?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You mean like that plastic coffin your purdy gun is forced to live in?

stay safe.

Yep, sure do, except it has never been stuck against its will.

My gun is like a zombie - comes up and out LIVE, spittin' & droolin'. :p