• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC holster choice

radio3579

I prefer at minimum a thumb break holster, a Galco FLETCH is my favorite leather holster.

My paddle holster is a Level 2 retention holster, I prefer to carry it more as it is mimics my duty gear in release and draw stroke.

RunninNGunnin

My first holster was like the IMD roto mold. I still use it on occassion.
I like the adjustablity for different carry OWB.
I replaced it with a Galco FLETCH as my go to holster.
I just picked up a few holsters in the past week.
One for my Sig, Strong Holster Co., and a IWB CrossBreed holster that fits my DBFS9 nicely.

Galco and CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe- DBFS9:

Strong Holster Co. pancake and paddle- Sig Mosquito:

Last edited:

SGB

SAFARILAND

Safariland 6378 with ALS guard, makes it a lvl 2 retention holster.

[video=youtube;XEqMaEP45Eg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEqMaEP45Eg[/video]

adk_mechetech

I'm hoping requests for suggestions are acceptable in this thread...

I just picked up a Springfield XD-S 3.3" and I'm looking for a holster. I carry open and OWB 100% of the time but prefer a low profile belt slide or pancake holster. I have a CZ 2075 that I carry in a DeSantis holster that is perfect. The equivalent for the XD-S seems to only come with retention which I prefer not to have. In addition would like something that will clip on and off as I frequently need to disarm temporarily to visit customers for my job.

Any suggestions are welcome as I have not found anything fitting my needs. I may settle for the DeSantis holster and see if it can be modified.

RedNeck Texan

OC Freedom - For sure on SafariLand holsters. They do cater to Glocks and have very few for SA XD w/ their ALS retention sets.
I like my wheel gun so leather is really my option. Not really many of them any more that make high quality holsters for revolvers are hard to find. :uhoh:

OC Freedom

OC Freedom - For sure on SafariLand holsters. They do cater to Glocks and have very few for SA XD w/ their ALS retention sets.
I like my wheel gun so leather is really my option. Not really many of them any more that make high quality holsters for revolvers are hard to find. :uhoh:

So very true. I would really like to have a Safariland style holster for my Single Action Army with bird's head grip and 4 5/8 inch barrel. :cry:

echofiveniner

+1
But. you will get some that will say the holster is the most dangerous holster ever. They are nuts. The .0002% of so called problems are operator negligence or failure to use the product as intended. Blackhawk has sold over 6 million Sepra holsters. If the holster is dangerous then you better sell your Glock because it is just as dangerous.

I'm almost in agreement with you. I don't think the SERPA is dangerous unless you are dnagerous. I carried a M9 in SERPA for five years and two deployments and never pulled the trigger without meaning to. I will say it seems like SERPA holsters have had a drop in quality. Teach some basic CCW and Pistol classes I see a lot of SERPA. I've seen the button just lock up, and the belt loop attachment break. My M9 holster never had that issue and I wander if they're have a drp in quality.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm almost in agreement with you. I don't think the SERPA is dangerous unless you are dnagerous. I carried a M9 in SERPA for five years and two deployments and never pulled the trigger without meaning to. I will say it seems like SERPA holsters have had a drop in quality. Teach some basic CCW and Pistol classes I see a lot of SERPA. I've seen the button just lock up, and the belt loop attachment break. My M9 holster never had that issue and I wander if they're have a drp in quality.

The weakness in the design is that the entire holster can be ripped from the mount - the screw heads are too small w/o any reinforcement.

That said, I carry my 1911 in a SERPA 24/7.

The best security holster IMHO is the Safariland, but I do not like the way it projects from my body.
https://www.safariland.com/holsters...-levels.html#sm.0001jmqdc175zdb9sx11rlfzq0wxh

Firearms Iinstuctor

I used a Safariland Level 3 holster as my duty holster.

It is a good holster.

I also carry several different pistols in serpas they have served me well.

Each to his own.

xFourellsx

Just a thanks to all for the info here in this thread. I have been looking for a new holster for a while and wasn't quite sure which I'd pick out.

I've been using Blackhawk holsters for years. Have 2 for my G19 (one for belt and one for the drop leg) and one for my S&W shield. I really like them and have never had any issues but it was time to try something new as I'm not fond of how easy it is to get out of the holster with the trigger finger release lever on the right side.

Saw some of you recommend the Safariland holsters and after a bunch of searches and videos and product demo's from the company I went and picked up a Safariland 7378 7ts als holster. Got it on apr 15th so can't review it. Initial thoughts are that I really like it. The thumb release close to the body is much more natural for me. With that I picked up the ALS 6006 guard as well (have not received it yet).

So thanks to all those that suggested the Safariland holsters! Pretty happy with mine at the moment.

PonderingMarmoset

For OWB carry, I use a Blackhawk Serpa with a paddle mount. Very steady and secure, affordable, durable, and they're obviously widely used for a reason, but you gotta have your belt on fairly tight since with this holster, the ride is high and to the outside, but that's what can make your draw lightning fast. It also helps to have the gun to the outside when you have a jacket on since it gives you a bot more clearance. But with a too-loose belt, it'll look like it's sagging to the outside. It also gives a more "profesional look instead of some beat-up, cracked leather holster or one of those awful on-size-fits-all nylon ones. "Nylon" just screams "couldn't afford anything better." It's probably going to blow your mind that retention holsters are not-and were never-designed to prevent a snatch, though manufacturers would like you to think so. Someone going for your gun can press that button down and draw it just as easily as you can, when you think about it. They don't offer enough snatch-preventative to make the legit claim they're designed to thwart snatching. They're rather designed to keep the gun in the holster if you get into a scrape and are knocked down, or if you have to fire from a prone position and don't need the gun falling out accidentally in the mean time. But yeah, I'm going to go with Serpa, prefferably mounted on a paddle, but you can also later switch just the paddle itself out in favor of a belt-only platform (sold seperately.) All the mounting options attach with included screws. Disadvantages: You are going to have to most likely undo your belt and lower your pants a little to get it off your belt. It bears saying, since some don't know this, but wear it with the paddle inside your pants, won't you? That's the idea with paddle holsters. Oh yeah, and it's also adjustable to at least three different cant angles! I've even used mine for cross-draw carry, (gun's) butt facing forward on my non-dominant side.