• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mmj dispensaries

jackrockblc

To my knowledge, there's no law against carrying in such places. However, think about the fact that federal law still makes it illegal for a marijuana users. Of course, question 11e on form 4473 asks if you are an unlawful user of MJ - and it's legal here. But not according to federal law.

hammer6

To my knowledge, there's no law against carrying in such places. However, think about the fact that federal law still makes it illegal for a marijuana users. Of course, question 11e on form 4473 asks if you are an unlawful user of MJ - and it's legal here. But not according to federal law.

if it's unlawful federally, why would they specify by inserting that word?

solus

open letter to FFLs 2011:

As you know, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. S 922(g)(3), prohibits any person who is an "unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 ULS.C. 802))" from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition. Marijuana is listed in the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I controlled substance, and there are no exceptions in Federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such use is sanctioned by State law.

Further, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. ss 922(d)(3), makes it unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance. As provided by 27 C.F.R. 478. I l, "an inference of current use may be drawn from evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time. "

Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition. Such persons should answer "yes" to question I l,e. on ATF Form 4473 (August 2008), Firearms Transaction Record, and you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to them. Further, if you are aware that the potential transferee is in possession of a card authorizing the possession and use of marijuana under State law, then you have "reasonable cause to believe" that the person is an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question I I.e. on ATF Form 4473.

https://www.atf.gov/file/60211/download

new 4473 Oct 2016:
11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

ipse

Last edited:

Tacitus42

open letter to FFLs 2011:

As you know, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. S 922(g)(3), prohibits any person who is an "unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 ULS.C. 802))" from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition. Marijuana is listed in the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I controlled substance, and there are no exceptions in Federal law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such use is sanctioned by State law.

Further, Federal law, 18 U.S.C. ss 922(d)(3), makes it unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance. As provided by 27 C.F.R. 478. I l, "an inference of current use may be drawn from evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time. "

Therefore, any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition. Such persons should answer "yes" to question I l,e. on ATF Form 4473 (August 2008), Firearms Transaction Record, and you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to them. Further, if you are aware that the potential transferee is in possession of a card authorizing the possession and use of marijuana under State law, then you have "reasonable cause to believe" that the person is an unlawful user of a controlled substance. As such, you may not transfer firearms or ammunition to the person, even if the person answered "no" to question I I.e. on ATF Form 4473.

https://www.atf.gov/file/60211/download

new 4473 Oct 2016:
11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

ipse
Bore

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

solus

Bore

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

thank goodness you agree with my response...

might wish to contribute your own commentary tho instead of piggy-backing on my response.

ipse

Last edited:

Fox Walker

It is indeed illegal. We were cautioned against it during the concealed carry course I had to take before entering civilization in Denver.

Incidentally, every single dispensary in town here turns me out when I'm OCing, but with a wink and a nod.

edit: So, to be clear, concealed carry is prohibited as well.

Last edited:

solus

It is indeed illegal. We were cautioned against it during the concealed carry course I had to take before entering civilization in Denver.

Incidentally, every single dispensary in town here turns me out when I'm OCing, but with a wink and a nod.

edit: So, to be clear, concealed carry is prohibited as well.

welcome to the site...stick around and enjoy the commentary & contribute as you will.

btw...enjoy the late snow fall :eek:

ipse