• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB12 regular session 2016 ... wolf in sheep's clothing

49er

Currently, our state constitution does not recognize pistol permit laws. That would change if Mack Butler's bill HB12 passes and the people of Alabama amend our constitutions as the bill proposes.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/ALISON/SearchableInstruments/2016RS/PrintFiles/HB12-int.pdf

The Alabama Supreme Court has declared:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We note that "ection 36 erects a firewall between the Declaration of Rights that precedes it and the general powers of government, including the authority to exercise judicial power that follow it." Ex parte Cranman, 792 So.2d 392, 401 (Ala. 2000). Sections 1 through 35 of Article I set out basic and fundamental rights guaranteed to all Alabamians, and § 36 provides that no branch of government has the authority to impair or deny those rights.

1568 Montgomery Hwy. v. City of Hoover, 45 So. 3d 319 - Ala: Supreme Court 2010
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't mess with the firewall between our rights and our government. Vote "NO" if this bill passes.

DeSchaine

What are the current rules/laws/regulations concerning carry on the "campus of a public institution of higher education or a private institution of higher education" in Alabama?