• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scratches and dings

Dario

There are no such things as stupid questions right?

So I noticed my chunk of polymer is showing signs of bumping up against walls and other obstacles while hanging from my hip, especially on the grip. Does anyone have advice to offer on how to avoid or minimize the wear and tear on your strong side while OC, other than learning how to walk on eggshells?

solus

So I noticed my chunk of polymer is showing signs of bumping up against walls and other obstacles while hanging from my hip, especially on the grip. Does anyone have advice to offer on how to avoid or minimize the wear and tear on your strong side while OC, other than learning how to walk on eggshells?

didn't this get discussed w/Putin 'walking' the gun walk without waddling:

putins-walk.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/putins-unusual-walk-shaped-by-kgb_us_567046a0e4b0fccee16ff6ba

or

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/16/putin-gunslinger-gait-kgb-training-report

believe it or not, the 'walk' does keep your strong side firearm from bumping against door frames. additionally, if you forget and dip, your hand hits the door frame, hard, immediately reminding you screwed up the 'walk'.

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

if your going to use them they well show wear.

Not only are they there to carry your firearm but to protect it from dings and bangs.

Kind of hard to protect them when they are out in the open.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No need to walk on eggshells, but you need to adjust your awareness of your body in space. your body is x inches wider on the strong side, so you need to adjust your centerline to deal with that.

It's much like switching from driving one vehicle to another - steering wheels and centerlines are not all standard.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nicks and dings = normal wear.

Wear = character squared.

Both myself and my EDC have a lot of character. :)

solus

yes grape i am sure a lot of folk believe you are a character...er can attest to your character...

ipse

Dario

Haha I like the Putin walk idea. I'll have to work on my swagger. Hopefully it will come across more like John Wayne and less like this:

[video=youtube;JuASKA1yxp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuASKA1yxp8[/video]

Rusty Young Man

As Grapeshot said, just accept the character. Oddly enough, my Galco holster has some scuffs that would go away if I threw it in the oven (it has been hot waxed, so the wax would melt and re-harden, erasing most surface discolorations), but I prefer how it looks with the character marks. Lets people know I actually carry it. :D

Satdiver

Putin Walk

didn't this get discussed w/Putin 'walking' the gun walk without waddling:

putins-walk.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/putins-unusual-walk-shaped-by-kgb_us_567046a0e4b0fccee16ff6ba

or

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/16/putin-gunslinger-gait-kgb-training-report

believe it or not, the 'walk' does keep your strong side firearm from bumping against door frames. additionally, if you forget and dip, your hand hits the door frame, hard, immediately reminding you screwed up the 'walk'.

ipse

Damn,
I like that walk and I see it as good habit to form while OC or CC on your strong side.
:lol:

solus

Damn,
I like that walk and I see it as good habit to form while OC or CC on your strong side.
:lol:

it is extremely against the body's natural gait and takes enormous amounts of concentration until the muscle memory and brain get appropriately trained. then your friends will ask when did you have your stroke, adding 'you are making excellent progress to walk again!!'

ipse