• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Georgia Campus Carry in 2016?

davidmcbeth

Banned
In the mean time just walk around campus with some body armor ... duck tape a message: GFZs are Killing Zones.

Antis will go nuts.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
From the article:

"...So what happened with the new campus carry law in Georgia that was supposed to have gone into effect July 1st, 2014? It had passed by a super majority of elected law-makers, and Governor Deal, who had publicly committed himself to sign all pro-gun legislation put his signature on it.

The problem is that there are four branches of government in Georgia – Executive, Legislative, Judicial, and the Code Revision Commission.

The fourth and most powerful branch, the Code Revision Commission has the final say on what becomes law by either putting it in or leaving it out of the Official Code of Georgia(OCGA). ..."
(my underline above)

WOW! Sickening. I had no idea! It's amazing what you learn on OCDO.

Godspeed to you Georgians. Spread the word.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
In reading the Superior Court's decision, however, it appears the problem (at least according to them) is two bills, both signed by the Governor, the later of which the court ruled as controlling.

It seems that the legislature and the Governor could fix this situation, if they were willing.

phil1979

That particular court either did not understand the GA General Assembly's method of using language that was carried forward in a bill, struck language, and added language - or it did and decided to legislate from the bench.

Fortunately, my case is still alive and with the GA Court of Appeals. You can read my attorney's (John R. Monroe) excellent Reply Brief here:

http://georgiacarry.com/county/gwinnett_schools/Reply_Brief_of_Appellant.pdf

In reading the Superior Court's decision, however, it appears the problem (at least according to them) is two bills, both signed by the Governor, the later of which the court ruled as controlling.

It seems that the legislature and the Governor could fix this situation, if they were willing.

Last edited:

OC for ME

'Much less, the very professor teaching the class. We feel that because of the line of work these officers are in and the training that they receive to do their jobs, they should be allowed to carry their firearm with them in whatever setting they are in,' he [Tim Reichert] added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...assroom-uncomfortable-teacher.html#newcomment
And some folks wonder why cops oppose these efforts to permit citizens to carry on any school property as do cops.

RSMo 571.030.2, Missouri cops are exempt from the no guns in/on school property. There is a effort to permit CC on college campi.

77zach

The governor is making up fake reasons to veto the bill. It always amazes me when people like this get elected when they say they are pro RKABA. It's always the first thing I ask about, and it's not hard to be specific. Oh well, pull that R lever regardless of who it is, reap the consequences.

77zach

Republican POS vetoes campus carry bill

Just because they have that R in front of their name means nothing.

Rusty Young Man

Just because they have that R in front of their name means nothing.

It's not a "Left" or a "Right" thing, it's a STATIST thing, and it takes two to tango. We didn't get in the mess we're in as a country because of only one of the major parties.:(

Rusty Young Man

CNN article said:
(CNN)Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed controversial "campus carry" legislation on Tuesday that would have allowed college students to carry concealed guns onto campuses with some restrictions.

Conservatives and Second Amendment activists cast House Bill 859 as a crucial measure for members of the school community to protect themselves. Opponents, including the University System of Georgia chancellor and presidents of the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech, said the measure would make it harder for campus police to protect the community.

If gun violence on college campuses was the motivation for the bill, the General Assembly should consider stiffer penalties for unauthorized possession or use of firearms on college campuses, Deal said.

"If the intent of HB 859 is to increase safety of students on college campuses, it is highly questionable that such would be the result," Deal said in a statement. "From the early days of our nation and state, colleges have been treated as sanctuaries of learning where firearms have not been allowed. To depart from such time honored protections should require overwhelming justification. I do not find that such justification exists."

Well, from the early days of our nation and state, criminals tend not to follow the law. If firearms are not allowed, perhaps the local PD should also refrain from carrying there, seeing as signs saves lives.:rolleyes: Justification enough?