• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

66% of Kansas faculty say allowing guns in classrooms limits 'freedom to teach'

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm at a point where this campus carry thing and the college exempt running out by 2017 is getting pretty stretched. I swear the next major attack that happens people will scream "GET ALL GUNS" and run like chickens with their heads cut off. I don't want to NOT care about certain events, but this one pushing it. Part of me is kind of glad I'll be moving back to Alaska again permanently where guns are as normal as seeing a damn squirrel. Nothing against any folks or getting personal, but politics gets tiring!

BigTzzy

Query based on the quoted law related to the exemption. Exemption granted on for 4 years from the time lawwentinto effect or no exemption may last less than or longer than 4 years from when granted ( AG notified)

There is a one time four year exemption. It can last less than four years if the no guns signs are taken down. The exemption was started by the passing of the statute it can not be extended unless another statute is passed. I personally don't see that happening. In 2017 they will have to allow guns or put in metal detectors manned by armed security or law enforcement at every entrance to every building. I hope this answers your query.

Contrarian

School daze........

[snip] I'm at a point where this campus carry thing and the college exempt running out by 2017 is getting pretty stretched. I swear the next major attack that happens people will scream "GET ALL GUNS" and run like chickens with their heads cut off. [snip].

You mean like this beknighted soul?
http://www.inquisitr.com/2924381/heidi-czerwiec-college-professor-calls-911-on-rotc-drill/

" The English professor hid under her desk and called 911, and she has vowed to do it again.
It turns out that the gunmen were Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) cadets making their way to a “Leadership Lab” training drill."
Bigger link in the NC forum.

Last edited:

solus

[snip] I'm at a point where this campus carry thing and the college exempt running out by 2017 is getting pretty stretched. I swear the next major attack that happens people will scream "GET ALL GUNS" and run like chickens with their heads cut off. [snip].

You mean like this beknighted soul?
http://www.inquisitr.com/2924381/heidi-czerwiec-college-professor-calls-911-on-rotc-drill/

" The English professor hid under her desk and called 911, and she has vowed to do it again.
It turns out that the gunmen were Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) cadets making their way to a “Leadership Lab” training drill."
Bigger link in the NC forum.

sorry previously discussed and put to bed http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?132648-Paranoid-Anti-2A-Professor-Dialls-911

pleasant read...

ipse

campfire

The fine folks in Wyandotte / KCK have decided once again that state laws don't apply in KCK. Students and teachers fearful of an armed non government presence should enroll at KCKCC. Here is the law that WYCO/KCK passed. It basically says the Unified Govt can do a wole bunch of things the state says they can't.

Sec. 22-189. - Carrying concealed weapons; prohibited acts.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person licensed or recognized as a valid out-of-state licensee pursuant to the Personal and Family Protection Act, and amendments thereto, to carry a concealed weapon into:
(1)
Any place where an activity declared a common nuisance by K.S.A. 22-3901, and amendments thereto, is maintained;
(2)
Any police, sheriff or highway patrol station;
(3)
Any detention facility, prison or jail;
(4)
Any courthouse;
(5)
Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in the judge's courtroom;
(6)
Any polling place on the day an election is held;
(7)
Any meeting of the governing body of a county, city or other political or taxing subdivision of the state, or any committee or subcommittee thereof;
(8)
On any state or county fairgrounds, or real property used for a state, county or city fair;
(9)
Any state office building, whether owned or leased;
(10)
Any athletic event not related to or involving firearms which is sponsored by a private or public elementary or secondary school or any private or public institution of postsecondary education;
(11)
Any professional athletic event not related to or involving firearms;
(12)
Any portion of a drinking establishment as defined by K.S.A. 41-2601, and amendments thereto, except that this provision shall not apply to a restaurant as defined by K.S.A. 41-2601, and amendments thereto;
(13)
Any elementary or secondary school building or structure used for student instruction or attendance;
(14)
Any community college, college or university facility;
(15)
Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal or State law;
(16)
Any child exchange and visitation center provided for in K.S.A. 75-270, and amendments thereto;
(17)
Any community mental health center organized pursuant to K.S.A. 19-4001 et seq., and amendments thereto; psychiatric hospital licensed under K.S.A. 75-3307b, and amendments thereto; or State psychiatric hospital, as follows: Larned State Hospital, Osawatomie State Hospital or Rainbow Mental Facility;
(18)
Any city hall;
(19)
Any public library;
(20)
Any daycare home or group daycare home, as defined in Kansas Administrative Regulations 28-3-113, or any preschool or childcare center, as defined in Kansas Administrative Regulation 28-4-420; or
(21)
Any church, temple or place of worship.
(b)
It shall be unlawful to carry a concealed weapon while under the influence of alcohol or drugs or both.
(c)
It shall be unlawful for any city employee with the exception of law enforcement officers to carry a concealed weapon while on unified government premises or while engaged in the duties of the person's employment by the unified government.
(d)
It shall be unlawful for any person licensed or recognized as a valid out-of-state licensee pursuant to the Personal and Family Protection Act to carry a concealed weapon onto any unified government facility, premises, public park, or public grounds, provided that the property is posted in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of the persons entering the property where carrying a concealed property is prohibited.
(e)
Nothing in the Personal and Family Protection Act herein shall be construed to prevent:
(1)
Any public or private employer from restricting or prohibiting in any manner persons licensed under this Act from carrying a concealed weapon while on the premises of the employer's business or while engaged in the duties of the person's employment by the employer;
(2)
Any entity owning or operating business premises open to the public from restricting or prohibiting in any manner persons licensed under this Act from carrying a concealed weapon while on such premises, provided that the premises are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the premises, as premises where carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited; or
(3)
A property owner from restricting or prohibiting in any manner persons licensed under this Act from carrying a concealed weapon while on such property, provided that the premises are posted, in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of persons entering the property where carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited.
(f)
It shall be unlawful to carry a concealed weapon in violation of any restrictions or prohibitions allowed by subsection (e)(1)—(3).
(Ord. No. O-124-06(Res. No. R-150-06), § 3(22-128), 12-14-2006)

Grimjack

Do you know when this law passed? It looks like this law is old (2006) and simply mirrors the state law at the time, which is what a lot of localities do. They also sometimes don't refresh those laws quickly when the underlying state law changes.

DWCook

Activist Member
That article with the teacher who called 911 during the ROTC practice...I laughed a bit harder than I should've.

Robin47

A majority of respondents were also concerned that allowing guns in the classroom would limit their academic freedom “to teach the material and engage with students in a way that optimizes learning,” and a majority said they would need to change how they teach their course.

Why would you have to change your method of teaching? Are you (the 'teacher') that much of an icehole that your current method could get you shot for it? You might want to rectify that little problem.

Could be many teachers are just plain cowards !
Or they should carry themselves !