• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention Holster. What level do you guys use?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
level 1 when CCing.

Level 1 or Level 2 Opening carrying. All depending, but no more than Level 2.

If I thought I needed more than Level 2 then I am CCing Level 1.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I prefer some type of positive retention other then just gravity or friction.

Thumb breaks, SERPA type locks ect.

When doing harder physical activities where chances of losing a firearm are higher a lanyard is also useful.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

RevolverRO

When I CC or OC during humid weather I use a Safariland ALS holster (Synthetic lined with suede with the thumb-release that locks into the ejection port.). I'm either carrying a hard-chromed 1911 commander or a Glock 19, and I find this holster to be comfortable and very secure. For dressing up or 'Sunday BBQ' carry I have a floral-carved El Paso Double Agent (for the commander)holster, leather, suede lined, with a tension screw at the trigger guard. Very comfortable, and it has dual slots so I can carry it strong-side or cross-draw. It's level 1 (friction) retention, so I guess if someone grabbed at it there could be a potential loss of the weapon.

Dirk platinum

I currently use a SERPA level 2. I don’t like anything less and anything more seems impractical for living a normal lifestyle .

Ghost1958

OC a Serpa , mostly because I have one that fits my gun already. Would prefer a thumb break but one uses what they have.

CC none other than belt tension, in a N82 original model.

Or a clip draw if IWB the DB9 bug.

solus

Little side clips are absolutely great for popping the safe shield in my pocket to hold it at the ready..quiet impressed...

Last edited: