Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible nationwide carry for truckers

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

We have a federal law that is intentionally ignored by at least one state. We have a federal law that is intentionally not being enforced.
    OC4ME how is what you cited, quote: ....if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle. unquote, going to assist as OTR driver if the paperweight is unload, in a separate area from the ammo ??

just saying...

ipse
    "He who pays the piper calls the tunes..." (OBE as Grape called melody!!)

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Well, he's right in that if anti-freedom states are going to ignore a mere transportation protection law, how can we expect them to allow a defensive firearm protected by the same type of federal law?

Anti-freedom states were kicking and screaming about LEOSA...
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-25-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    OC4ME how is what you cited, quote: ....if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle. unquote, going to assist as OTR driver if the paperweight is unload, in a separate area from the ammo ??

just saying...

ipse
    Having it available and ready is not the point, not getting tossed into jail on a felony count for having a paperweight is the point. We, most of us, can avoid anti-liberty states such as NJ, OTR drivers maybe not. Let us keep folks outta jail before we get available and ready.

Making more laws to restrain government is not the same as repealing laws that empower government. The Heien defense cannot be employed if there is no law to misunderstand or misapply.

This makes it easy for the courts to rule in favor of restraining LE as was the case in US v. Black.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by conandan View Post
    I heard on NRA news that there is a bill starting in the Senate that would give truck drivers with ccl's national resaprosity (sic).
    snipp
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Having it available and ready is not the point, not getting tossed into jail on a felony count for having a paperweight is the point. We, most of us, can avoid anti-liberty states such as NJ, OTR drivers maybe not. Let us keep folks outta jail before we get available and ready.

Making more laws to restrain government is not the same as repealing laws that empower government. The Heien defense cannot be employed if there is no law to misunderstand or misapply.

This makes it easy for the courts to rule in favor of restraining LE as was the case in US v. Black.
    sorry, OC, but having it ready and available is the point of the thread as defined by the OP...

ipse
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-25-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: rule #19

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

sorry, OC, but having it ready and available is the point of the thread as defined by the OP...

ipse
    Agreed.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I had a dedicated gun safe bolted down in my sleeper when I hauled produce from CA. In Wisconsin I open carried and drove with it on my hip. WI permit not good in MN, so it went into the safe, sometimes loaded sometimes not. It got to the point where it was a pain to stop before crossing state lines, where it just went into the safe upon getting into the truck.

If I had to park someplace I felt unsafe, the safe was unlocked and left open. I'm never felt too unsafe on on/off ramps, and have never been bothered. Most places that I felt the most unsafe were in California. I've slept in Oakland, LA, Vernon (bad place) along with quite few cities part of LA suburb. Slept a lot of places with one eye open, and with the understanding that if I shot someone, even a gang member stealing my truck, I probably just became a resident of the state of California. Understanding that if I wake up with someone inside my truck, I was already at a disadvantage.

I've also blown a power steering hose in Bakersfield, in front of a car repair business. Some Hispanic guy handed me the keys to his brand new pickup and gave me directions on where to go to get one. People are mostly good, I have not gone looking for trouble and for the most part, have not found it.

Had a lot of inspections, been through Border Patrol checkpoints 75 miles from the border. (Another story) Nobody has asked to get in my cab or search my sleeper. Tennessee was searching sleepers back in the late 80's? But that got stopped by the courts. I always figured you're NOT searching my sleeper without a search warrant. Ever see all the cameras coming into the Border checkpoint! Either they can't see a firearm laying in a lockbox, or they don't care. No one has ever asked to search my sleeper, though I have had an Illinois State Trooper ask if I had any guns, drugs, or dead bodies in my cab. (No, none in my cab, he didn't ask about the sleeper, tho I suspect he meant that as well. Ask a specific question and I'll give you a specific answer.)

Stopped going to Kaliforniastan December 2014. Now I'm mostly 7 states Midwest. Company doesn't allow firearms in truck as company policy, and I don't carry. We do a lot of hazardous materials, I don't think I've seen a pickup or delivery without a no weapons sign.

I would say about 95 percent of truck drivers think there is some DOT rule against firearms in trucks. Some places try to use the rules about hauling firearms and ammo as against the driver having a firearm. Having said that, I don't think I really would push for the ability of truck drivers to carry, any more than people as a whole. Maybe less!! Our industry is being over run by non citizen employees. Maybe because I'm in it, but there are a lot of drivers that just flat out scare me. I don't want to be anywhere near them while driving down the road, and I'm constantly on my family to get around and away from trucks on the highway.
    Last edited by Wstar425; 02-28-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Ws, were you an independent or company driver?

i am sure independents have more judicious decision over putting a 'safe' in your sleeper in lieu of using the company's rig?

and overall, isn't it the company's policy(ies) constraining OTR drivers per se?

ipse

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Years ago when I had complete truck loads it was sometimes cheaper using independent truckers. Loads that I needed to ship to NJ or NY, especially NY city, most independents would refuse due to personal safety. The truckers would tell me about areas up east that they refused to go because of gangs that would hijack their rig at gunpoint.

Ws, were you an independent or company driver?

i am sure independents have more judicious decision over putting a 'safe' in your sleeper in lieu of using the company's rig?

and overall, isn't it the company's policy(ies) constraining OTR drivers per se?

ipse
    I've been both. O/O back in the late 70's and early 80's, always carried

Company driver since 1984. The days of the real independents are mostly over, tho there are some I'm sure. Last company was a 7 truck fleet hauling produce on very nice trucks. Owner had no issue with me carrying, or installing a safe in his truck. Four holes bolted down to a panel. I carried coming and going through the business/terminal OC. Company was called Ego-Trip, use you imagination and then some to get an idea of the trucks. Kenworth W900L extended hood conventional with a C-16 600 hp Cat motor and 18 speed. Had over 175 lights on the truck and trailer.

I would say finding any company over 20 trucks or so that would allow you to carry a firearm is nigh unto impossible. Putting a safe in a sleeper should be standard equipment, as far as I am concerned, not even talking firearms. How about my personal effects, cash, checks, anything important But, I think you are right for the most part. As near as I can tell, there are no DOT rules against carrying firearms in a commercial vehicle, you just need to be legal in all the jurisdictions you might enter. Which may well be impossible. Companies can, and do, put all types of rules above and beyond the law on their employees. Last companies rules were : Be friendly. Nothing written down, just dealt with as it became an issue. Not sure that is the best plan, but what he did. Current company has a handbook about the size of a good Bible.

Finally took the time to figure out how to post pictures. A couple of past passengers in the truck. Only took the dog one trip when she was just a pup and that was enough of that. She rides in the pickup, but again this company allows no animals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W900L northwest woods.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	12999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W900L Nevada desert.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	13000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gunz and Roses.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	13001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Noki living room.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	13002  
    Last edited by Wstar425; 02-28-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Now you'll be sorry!!

Last trip to CA, in Bakersfield

Night scene, I got lucky this is just with my cell phone and I am NOT a photographer.

CAT logo, if you look closely under the doors, right behind the air cleaner, you can see this. Bulldozer motor! 600 horsepower, 2050 Pounds/ft torque. Didn't get passed too often, but didn't pass many fuel pumps either.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W900L night.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	13005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAT 600hp decal.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	13003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W900L Bakersfield.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	13004  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12