• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HyVee 's policy on Firearms..

John adams

Hi! First time poster and after reading your "Rules" for this forum and posting I feel like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! Wrote a e-mail to HyVee wanting to know their policy on the carrying of guns in their stores and received a reply. Recently Kroeger foods took a stand against immense pressure and "stood their ground" sort of speak. HyVee stated that they follow all state laws and local ordinances. When they mentioned "autonomy" is given to Store Directors I became a little leery. I wrote back more or less asking for clarification and received a response from another person doing just that. I then responded thanking them. SO, there are 5 e-mails back and forth and I will try and post the conservation in its entirety and let you all make your own assessments. Therefore, without further adoo, lets try this.

*********************************************** ATTENTION PLEASE READ FROM THE BOTTOM UP! **************************************************************

Response.
RE: From Hy-Vee
John Adams
10/29/15
To: Ballard, Larry
Your the man L Ballard! I conceal carry most of the time and after 67 years of life have never felt more comfortable. I am a Veteran and a upstanding citizen. Recently Mothers against carrying put tons of pressure on the Kroeger Stores yet the Kroeger stores held their beliefs. Obviously grocery stores should try and stay out of the fray as the anti-gun crowd while I don't like their thinking certainly buys groceries as do the PRO- gun side. I haven't open carried yet as I don't want to alarm anyone however I will make you this promise, IF I ever open carry in one of your stores and someone complains to management, I will leave without incident IF the Store manager states in front of the complaining patron that I am within my rights, that I have broken NO laws and I am leaving of my free will because I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. That way everyone wins. The store doesn't have to alienate anyone, the customer no longer feels uncomfortable, and we are educating the Public on our rights and laws and getting our message across. I love the fact you are backing our 2nd amendment, State, Local and FEDERAL laws without having to draw a line in the sand. GOOD FOR YOU. Love your Store at Johnson Ave as I live close. Thanks again!!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
To: bsox621@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: From Hy-Vee
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 18:12:30 +000

Hello, John.

The email correspondence below was forwarded to me for clarification.

Your right to carry a legal weapon in our stores will not be infringed upon, and we have no plans to adopt any blanket policies with respect to signs or other communication with customers.

Whether it’s guns or the price of green beans, we let store directors handle any inquiries or concerns from customers who might be uncomfortable with seeing another customer with a gun.

That’s what Pamela was trying to convey. We apologize for any confusion.

If you need any other information, feel free to contact me.

Larry Ballard

Hy-Vee Communications

(515) 559-5776

logo

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 11:39 AM
To: Hy-Vee Customer Care
Subject: RE: From Hy-Vee

Thanks Pam for responding. the following statement is confusing however as it gives mixed signals. ( Autonomy is given to store directors, who we feel are in the best position to know those locals laws and gauge the sentiment of their neighborhood customers. ) If you follow Local, State, and Federal Laws regarding the "legal" carrying of firearms then what does your customers "sentiment" have to do with it? On balance if you ask a group of people are they comfortable with firearms being carried in a store one would think the answer would be no. But if those people are within their rights why would they not be allowed to do so? In short, IF I decide to shop at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa HY VEE stores will my rights to carry be infringed upon? Bear in mind that any business can refuse service to anyone and because I have NOT broken any laws the best the store manager can do is ask me to leave according to State Law. I would rather know up-front than have a issue later, and yes, the store directors are welcome to contact me by e-mail if they want to respond. John
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
To: bsox621@hotmail.com
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 00:04:56 -0500
Subject: From Hy-Vee

Dear John,

Thanks for your inquiry about Hy-Vee’s policy on firearms. We appreciate your input on the matter. Issues like these benefit from a mix of voices and viewpoints such as yours.

The safety and security of our customers and employees is paramount. There’s nothing more fundamental, so we take the issue very seriously.

Hy-Vee stores comply with all state laws and local ordinances with respect to guns and gun safety in each of the eight states and 200 or so communities where we do business. Autonomy is given to store directors, who we feel are in the best position to know those locals laws and gauge the sentiment of their neighborhood customers.

This is an issue with strong support on both sides. We appreciate your feedback and future patronage. If you’d like, we will share your specific concerns with the store director at your local Hy-Vee and ask him or her to get in touch with you.

Thanks again for contacting Hy-Vee,

Pamela B.

Hy-Vee Customer Care Representative
Description: Hy-Vee, Inc.Where there's a helpful smile in every aisle

5820 Westown Parkway WDM, IA 50266
Phone: 1-800-772-4098| Email: hvcs@hy-vee.com

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My initial question to HYVEE.

Was curious to whether your store owners/managers allow for open or concealed carry at Johnson and Edgewood Rd. locations. DO your stores follow local, state and federal guidelines in this matter? In short, IF the citizen is legal do you comply with his rights to car

Tucker6900

Official responses are nice, and I have never had issue carrying in any HYVEE store. Well done. Thanks for the info.

amaixner

Official responses are nice, and I have never had issue carrying in any HYVEE store. Well done. Thanks for the info.

The Marion location had put up signs a few years ago. It got ended right quickly, but they probably lost some customers -- the Fareway across the street from them put out a "carry welcome" announcement while the signs were up.