• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digtal recorder and Dash Cams

Michael48632

Sony ICD PX333

I just ordered my Sony ICD PX333 I am grateful for the help from this amazing group as I love the helpful people here , I have been kicking the idea around to get a recorder for any contact from law enforcement and or civilians and the suggestion made my mind up again THANK YOU ALL for being the great group that we are here .:D

user

Accomplished Advocate
Dashcams:

A guy hit my car last year, and my then-dashcam-equppage consisted of GoPro 2 Hero cameras mounted in the front and back - one was a gift from the late Don Litten. But they were so much bother that I didn't have either of them installed on the date of the collision. Damnitall!!! Since then, I bought a couple of cameras to replace 'em, and I like the replacements. Not cheap, but some very good points: 64Gb SDHC card capacity (comes with 16Gb), and the oldest data is automagically re-written by new data if the card gets full. The cameras operate on USB power from a converter in the cigarette lighter socket, and come on when the car starts, go off when the ignition's switched off. In other words, they stay put and I don't have to mess with them at all unless and until I have some video I want to review. Here's a link to the product:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1412447-REG/yi_technology_89108_ultra_dash_camera.html

Voice Recorder:

I use an Olympus WS-802; apparently discontinued, I believe closest current model is WS-852. That's kind of a mid-range priced device for Olympus, that one's about sixty bucks, but they run up to about two hundred. I've been most satisfied with it, works reliably and does everything I would want it to do. Excellent clarity and sensitivity. I've used it in court hearings quite a lot (where permitted) and never had any trouble picking up what the judge, witness, or prosecutor have said. I use a lanyard-strap that I got for two bucks at Microcenter to carry it around my neck - it's made to be able to be hooked up to such things. Here's a link to the current model:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...15121su000_ws_852_digital_voice_recorder.html

Incidentally, the links are to BHPhoto a big photo-optics-audio distributor in NY; they don't accept web orders from Friday evening to Saturday evening, because they don't want their computers doing "work" on the Sabbath. I've been doing business with them for years and always very happy with them. They sell a limited supply of riflescopes, red-dots etc. too, by the way.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Incidentally, the links are to BHPhoto a big photo-optics-audio distributor in NY; they don't accept web orders from Friday evening to Saturday evening, because they don't want their computers doing "work" on the Sabbath. I've been doing business with them for years and always very happy with them. They sell a limited supply of riflescopes, red-dots etc. too, by the way.

I've been using my voice recorder (Sony ICD PX-820) far more often. I recently changed the voice quality, dropping it down a touch, but the quantity shot up to more than 21 hours. I don't normally let it go, as it eats batteries, but it's a one-button on, and I do use it any time I feel like I need it. In two years, however, all I've caught is an irate homeless guy getting mad at me for not giving him a buck or two near a fast food joint.

As for B&H Photo/Video, they're terrific! They may not be the most competitive on price, but their selection for semi-pro and professional A/V gear is unparalleled. Most of their salesmen are rather curt. They must be paid by commission. I have found a couple of them to be rather helpful, though.

I purchased my first stereo through them: A Harmon-Karden 580i and Bose 301 speakers back in 1983. HK is now owned by Samsung. :uhoh:

I bought a Sony camcorder through them, as well.