• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HPDscrews the tax payer

Firearms Iinstuctor

More info at the link

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.com/2015/08/honolulu-mayor-gives-up-575000-to-aid.html

Mayor Caldwell of Honolulu appears to have made the decision to destroy over half a million dollars of Smith & Wesson pistols, rather than sell them to police, police departments or to gun dealers anywhere. The mayor did not seek to gain political "credit" for the decision. The scheme was kept secret until it was leaked by whistle blowing police officers about a month ago. No credible reason was given for destroying the valuable merchandise.

There is no shortage of pistol manufacturers. If the guns were sold to police or gun dealers, they would be directly competing with other pistols, in exactly the same legal channels as newly manufactured guns. By reducing the supply of old guns, Honolulu is increasing the demand for new guns. Gun manufacturers must be smiling all the way to the bank. It is Honolulu taxpayers who are footing the bill.

From hawaiinewsnow.com:

The city of Honolulu will destroy $500,000 worth of old police guns instead of selling them to other law enforcement agencies or Honolulu police officers.

HPD has replaced more than 2,300 of its old handguns with new lighter, cheaper guns. Many police officers said those old guns still have value and should not be thrown away but sold or donated to be re-used instead.

Since 1990, Honolulu police officers have used Smith & Wesson 9 millimeter handguns and the city has replaced them with lighter and easier-to-use Glock 17s that cost about half as much as the Smith & Wessons.

Hawaii News Now has learned that the city plans to destroy about 2,300 of the old Smith & Wessons in the next few weeks, including 200 of them that are brand new and still in their boxes.
The Caldwell administration even found a way to interpret the budget rules to forbid the selling of police pistols to individual officers, a practice that had been common in the past.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But .... But .... But ....

But if we put guns in the hands of federal firearms license holders they will just sell them, putting more guns in the hands of .... in the hands of .... in the hands of people who might some day have a psychotic snap and go on a murderous rampage that kills a bus full of crippled nuns on their way to the orphanage to celebrate the birthdays of the little blind kids.

And by withholding those used guns from the market we effectively impose gun control on those who cannot afford the price of a new gun.

Gun Control Politics 303B. You have to wade through a lot to get to that class.

stay safe.

sudden valley gunner

The kama'aina are the poorest. Mahalo.

+1

I do all I can to keep my kam'aina current.....

The dummies just don't get that a lot of people have guns a lot of bad people.

On the other hand maybe they do. An old boss of mine had one brother who was chief of police and another who was head of a mafiosa.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't think that the destruction of a small % of the island's guns would increase demand.

They are their guns, melt them down if they wish.

Me? I don't buy manufactured guns anymore.