• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Veterans Affairs" disables Priest River vet's gun rights.

DeSchaine

Under what authority or statute can this gentleman not have firearms? What reason did the letter give, if any? What prompted the sending of said letter?

You know, news outlets have really dropped the ball since the Ed Murrow and Walt Cronkite days.

OC Freedom

So much for due process of law.

Good to see the county sheriff and fellow Idahoans involved and standing up for this vet.

What the government is really saying to its vets is if you seek medical help we will take your rights away from you. It's just sick and really pisses me off.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Most recently, Republican U.S. Sen. John Cornyn of Texas proposed legislation that would require court action before barring gun purchases by veterans declared incompetent.

All smoke and mirrors, just as is the letter from the VA.

First of all, the law does not address "incompetent". Second, the law requires an adversarial hearing with basic due process; a VA administrative determination by some pencil-pusher is not that hearing. Third, Sen. Cornyn's bill does not require court action before being placed on the NICS list (that's already the law) but gives those improperly placed on the list a due process procedure for having their names removed. http://freebeacon.com/issues/nra-ba...e-due-process-rights-to-veterans-denied-guns/

As opposed to http://www.businessinsider.com/john-cornyn-gun-bill-nra-2015-8 that discusses "mentally defective" which is a category not in any gun control law.

Sadly, Sen. Cornyn's bill has not yet been filed, so we are going to have to wait (just a few days?) until we can read what it actually says.

stay safe.

Da Rat Bastid

Last edited:

rscottie

When the Los Angeles Times (hardly a bastion of conservative thinking) starts writing articles about the latest gun grab attempt with a "Hey, maybe this isn't such a good idea" tone, that's when you know things have gone too far.
For many years the media has carried the water for the gun control zealots. They always stated that they just wanted to make the streets safe and no one wanted to deny anyone their rights.

Perhaps they are starting to realize they were lied to and the anti's really do want to take away your guns?

Sent from my Sony Xperia using Tapatalk 4

HPmatt

Sen Crapo is asking AG nominee Jeff Sessions about those actions right now - DOJ handles NICS. Also asked Session to confirm Operation Chokepoint should be stopped - Sessions agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk