• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA News - Kansas legalizes 'right to choose' open or concealed carry without permit

Mike

Site Co-Founder
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150701/kansas-permitless-carry-law-takes-effect-today

SNIP

Today, NRA-backed permit-less carry legislation, Senate Bill 45, goes into effect. SB 45 was signed into law on April 7, 2015 by Governor Sam Brownback (R).

Authored by Senate Majority Leader Terry Bruce (R-34) and carried in the House of Representatives by Representative Travis Couture-Lovelady (R-110), SB 45 recognizes Kansans’ freedom to legally carry a concealed firearm without the requirement of acquiring a Kansas concealed carry handgun license (CCHL). SB 45 is a necessary update to concealed carry in Kansas, allowing law-abiding gun owners the ability to better protect themselves and their loved ones. In Kansas, it is already legal to carry a firearm openly, as long as the individual is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. However, under past law, if a firearm became covered by a coat or if a woman prefers to carry a firearm for self-protection in her purse, he or she would have needed to possess a CCHL.

This law gives Kansans the freedom to choose the best method of carrying for them, based on their attire, gender and/or physical attributes. Nevertheless, this law also keeps in place the current permitting system so that people who obtain a permit could still enjoy the reciprocity agreements that Kansas has with other states and their NICS exemption when purchasing a new firearm.

OC for ME

What!?!?

No reports of blood running in the streets? It must be a NRA cover-up.

Though, it has only been a week or so...give it time, federal troops will be dispatched to restore order.

Whew...that was close.

Momokahn

That statement is not true. He could have open carried without a permit before the new law.

[SARC]Oh, wait....then he would have been shot first in the robbery....never mind.[/SARC]

That is true. Here in Kansas, open carry has been legal since 1861 and I have proudly observed that right for the last 36 years.

Ezek

That statement is not true. He could have open carried without a permit before the new law.

[SARC]Oh, wait....then he would have been shot first in the robbery....never mind.[/SARC]

I think he was attributing his ability for the element of surprise, which he used to it's full extent apparently, on the basis of the fact that he was able to carry concealed without a permit as allowed by the new law.