• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Idaho Report

carracer

Really not much of a fair goer last few years. I have oc there many times in the past. Years ago they had a security station set up just inside the entry. They were inspection purses etc. They had a local security guard doing so, then an Ada County Sheriff Deputy standing beside him. Two more deputies at the exit of the security station. I paid the entry fee for my wife and I and strolled into the security tent with my best dressed Colt 1911 on my hip in a Serpa retention holster, cond. one. As I walked up to the security table the guard was just finishing a ladies purse. He looked at me and stated... "Gun in holster, come on in. Next?" he then proceeded to check my wifes purse. Not so much as blinking an eye from any of the Deputies.

No issues any of the other times either. One compliment from a fairgoer one time.

OC Freedom

Open carry

I have been open carrying daily with no negative comments all summer long. Today will be my first day out in public (Open Carrying) since the Vegas shooting. I do not expect any change in attitudes after the fact, but even if their are, I will not change my routines or my conviction in open carry.

OC Freedom

I have been open carrying daily with no negative comments all summer long. Today will be my first day out in public (Open Carrying) since the Vegas shooting. I do not expect any change in attitudes after the fact, but even if their are, I will not change my routines or my conviction in open carry.

No negative encounters or observed changes of peoples attitude to my open carrying. Went to Home Depot, Walmart, Harbor Freight, and Chick-fil-a.

OC Freedom

The weather has gotten cold, so it's back to CC (criminal carry) until spring arrives again. At least I will have the element of surprise now. LOL!

carracer

I got a new holster for my Canik 55 Stingray C. Broke it in to loosen it up and stretch the thumb break. It fit nicely until I put it on. The belt loops would curve and pull the holster tight again. I put a belt thru and wrapped it tight around the holster. Let it sit about a week. Problem fixed! It wears very well now. Put it on Sunday morning and proceeded about my day. Lowes, Albertsons and Homedepot. No issues and a great day!

OC Freedom

I got a new holster for my Canik 55 Stingray C. Broke it in to loosen it up and stretch the thumb break. It fit nicely until I put it on. The belt loops would curve and pull the holster tight again. I put a belt thru and wrapped it tight around the holster. Let it sit about a week. Problem fixed! It wears very well now. Put it on Sunday morning and proceeded about my day. Lowes, Albertsons and Homedepot. No issues and a great day!

Could you post a picture of your new rig and pistol? I would like to see it.

carracer

"Craft" brand holster. After I ordered I found out they are not made in the USA. Slovakia I think. At least that's better than china. The fit was really tight and I had to double bag for about a week to get it acceptable, including the thumb strap.

Attachments

• ginh.jpg
    ginh.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 86
  • gnh.jpg
    gnh.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 90

OC Freedom

"Craft" brand holster. After I ordered I found out they are not made in the USA. Slovakia I think. At least that's better than china. The fit was really tight and I had to double bag for about a week to get it acceptable, including the thumb strap.

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice set up. Agreed on stuff made in china, anywhere is better then china.

OC Freedom

Open carry at Boise mall

Since the wife wanted to go to the Boise mall and do some shopping I decided to go along. The Mall has a no gun policy, but I open carried anyway. Nothing was said to me, but I did get some disapproving looks. Unfortunately, Boise has had more liberal degenerates moving in to the area everyday, so it's not surprising. Had a positive encounter at Walmart with a young man who seemed interested in open carry and gave me the opportunity to encourage and promote the practice. Overall a good 4th of July.

carracer

Independence day! What better day to celebrate by open carrying! Got dressed up with my best dressed 191 and went to Idaho City for the parade and other activities. Got some hot dogs for the grandkids and myself at what used to be Donnas Place. Can't remember the new name. Went thru the park and watch the bean bag toss the kids were doing. Left and went to my property off Grimes Creek for a while. Left at about 4:30 and went to "Alive After 5" in the middle of downtown at The Grove. Watched the band play and the kids splash in the fountains. There were several hundred participants in the courtyard. Among them were members of the Comic Con that is coming to Boise. Flash Gordon and a gal in Star Wars outfitted with a Light Saber among them.

About an hour arriving there an event security guard positioned herself about 50 feet directly behind me. She got on her radio and a few minutes later another event security person arrived. They were doing some sort of activity on their cell phones for about 10 minutes until a third security arrived. Shortly after that they dispersed one at a time. The first gal came back to her post about 10 minutes later and remained. I was just aware of what was going on. May or may not have had anything to do with my OC. Possibly they were just discussing 1911 vs Glock. Don't know. Maybe whether to get pizza or other food.

All in all a great carry day... as always is in Idaho!

OC Freedom

Gun rally at the Idaho Capitol

Great day at the capitol. Of course the media downplayed the size of the gathering.
machine gun.jpg

rally 7.jpg

rally 6.jpg

Last edited:

gutshot II

bobcul

COSTCO - A recent company change of attitude?

This is from the Jackson Hole Tea Party.com BLOG page, an item I wrote.

-------------------
Locally, well not too local, an anti-gun attitude was met in Pocatello, Idaho.
For years the Costco big box store got some business from this shopper while wearing a side arm, all the time with little or no attention by the staff. Discussions occurred with employees, in clear sight of the side arm. They were questioned on the location and availability of goods. Then on Thursday, September 13, all that changed.

This shopper was challenged by the greeter at the door saying, “you can not enter carrying a gun”. The action was questioned and the reply was that it was “policy”. It was pointed out that no signs were visible citing any restriction of entry with a firearm. The employee replied that the policy was printed in the membership form. The warehouse general manager was not available but an assistant manager repeated the policy.

I was directed to leave the firearm in the car, but the potential hazard of doing that while shopping was explained. The safest place for the side arm would be on my hip. The hazard to the shopper and the store of being denied the tools for legal self defense while in the store were explained, all to no avail. When it was asked the answer was “no, they did not have a secure locker where firearm carriers could leave their side arms”. Law enforcement officers who are NOT in uniform and not on duty are also asked to leave. What happened with Costo to cause this sudden change in activity? We were not told.

The clear option was to inform the manager that the membership would be canceled and shopping will be done at a more friendly store. We then visited the Sam’s Club store in Idaho Falls and, while wearing the side arm, specifically talked to the management about their policy. In a word the reply was “no problem”. The shopper membership is now at Sam’s Club in Idaho Falls, about 100 miles less travel to do the shopping.

What can you do?

When you encounter a block along your path of freedom, note it, check the facts and then act, or at least speak out. Inform those blocking your path that you will take your business elsewhere - and then Do So. Apply the “No Guns - No Money” lesson and cards mentioned above when you encounter the occasional restriction.
---------------

In response to the above one Blog reader raised the following issue to which I replied as below.

"If I were in a big box store and I saw someone with an exposed firearm, I would leave immediately Not knowing why that person was armed, I would not stick around to find out."

My reply was;

The person carrying a firearm legally (not criminal intent) IS the person you want out in public. They can defend themselves and therefore those around them.

The person open carrying is NOT out to cause trouble or attack anyone. Criminals would have hidden agendas and weapons, and they would ignore any signs or store policy anyway.

The open carrier does so for several reasons. 1) clothing may not be sufficient to properly conceal the firearm, especially in summer warmer days. 2) Concealed carry may not be an option (not a resident of the state, etc) 3) Open carry can make it easier to bring a firearm into action if needed. 4) Open carry makes it easier to identify the person carrying a firearm - AND that makes him a possible FIRST target for the criminal. This is a known and accepted risk. 5) Open carry makes it easy to strike up a conversation with a knowing and unafraid person. I have had MANY very good conversations over the years.

If I had been carrying concealed I would have just walked in and no one would have been the wiser. Contact me any time for a free and easy familiarization and training session with firearms.

OC for ME

This is from the Jackson Hole Tea Party.com BLOG page, an item I wrote.

-------------------
... What happened with Costo to cause this sudden change in activity? We were not told. ...
Costco...been anti-2A from the get go. Costco don't want your business,Costco don't need your business.

---------------

In response to the above one Blog reader raised the following issue to which I replied as below.

"If I were in a big box store and I saw someone with an exposed firearm, I would leave immediately Not knowing why that person was armed, I would not stick around to find out." ...
Would you stick around if you did not know a citizen were armed...with a firearm that is. Liberals and there illogical mental deficiencies.

solus

Well bobcul, this very subject has been discussed numerous times on this here forum’s thread(s):

1. It is well known the company’s membership agreement states no firearms, OC’d or CC’d. In fact, they will refund your membership fee if you’re really upset about it.

2. Costco, as a private membership entity, has the signage at the door stating, ‘members acknowledge their agreement to by enter’ or such language.

3. Sorry, the violation of concept of carrying, OC’g or CC’g, where I have personally signed a contract agreeing not to carry firearms within or on their property is an ethical issue I personally won’t abrogate as a responsible firearm carrier.

4. Noticed with interest in your numerated response did not address the main purpose to carry in the first place...protection of self and loved ones!

Wally world/Sam’s always had OC’g as long as permitted by state mandates.

bobcul

COSTCO - Update - A change of attitude?

Seen it said that one could die trying.

In responding to several of the comments. The focus of my comment on COSTCO was ONLY to point out the shift I encountered in their reaction to carrying a sidearm. I had openly carried for years, knowing full well about their membership written prohibition on firearms. I had encountered employees many times and had face-to-face discussions with some. I had visited the customer service desk on occasion when my wife had business with them.

Then last week things changed - dramatically. I knew when the greeter at the door looked at me that he was going to challenge me. Going from a "No Worries" (unstated) attitude to a strong prohibition was, again, dramatic. What happened at COSTCO to cause this? What high level discussions were held or orders given? I heard nothing in the news - it must have been a high level decision to crack down. That was the whole reason for me to write to this forum, as I had in the past since about 2009.

BTW - My several points about Open Carry in reply to one of the JHtP Blog readers was to explain SOME of the reasons to Open Carry as opposed to concealed. Obviously I was carrying to be able to defend myself and others, I was just explaining some of my reasons. FWIW - having done a lot of gun rights political action work back in Maryland (see MCSM.org), being able to strike up a conversation with the public is a major advantage of open carrying. Here in Wyoming that is not too often with the locals - but the visitors are anxious and appreciative of the discussion, especially those from England, China, and etc.

My advice is to keep up waving the flag, open carrying or what ever the flag is, to reinforce your freedom with the public.

Bob Cul