Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Open Carry Idaho Report

This is an Idaho OC report page, not the social lounge page.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Meridian City Hall

Early this afternoon I went to the Meridian city hall to vote early and I open carried while there. The line was long, it took about 50 minutes from start to finish. Only had one person make a comment and it was about how they liked my Blackhawk holster. Folks did notice my Glock, but no one really seemed to care. I really do like this state.

Winter weather is here, so back to CC (Criminal Carry) until spring and the warmer temperatures it brings.

Warm weather is back and back to Open honest carry.

I have been open carrying daily since spring and so far no negative comments. I have had plenty of positive firearm conversations because of open carry. Just another pleasant summer in Idaho.

I have done so only occasionally. As I cannot open carry at work it is easy to slip on my Sneaky Pete concealed holster. I then do the same on weekends, just because it's easy to just slip on the belt. I guess I should get an easier holster than my Serpa paddle. I really like the retention feature, but just a hassle putting it over my belt. Perhaps a nice leather one with strap or thumb break would be easier. Of course I want it to look good and compliment my 1911. Any recommendations?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I have done so only occasionally. As I cannot open carry at work it is easy to slip on my Sneaky Pete concealed holster. I then do the same on weekends, just because it's easy to just slip on the belt. I guess I should get an easier holster than my Serpa paddle. I really like the retention feature, but just a hassle putting it over my belt. Perhaps a nice leather one with strap or thumb break would be easier. Of course I want it to look good and compliment my 1911. Any recommendations?
    Safariland makes a great retension holster and has a quick detach system that is very popular. It is no problem to add leather to the outside of a kydex holster - I have done so with my EDC,

https://www.safariland.com/products/...chment-systems
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Boise Mall

I know the Boise Mall is a "Gun free zone", but I went ahead and open carried in the mall on Saturday. I had no contact from security or any comments at all from anybody. I walked the full length of the mall as for also shopping in the large anchor stores. I do not think the no gun policy has changed, I'm just confident the mall security isn't very observant.

OC yesterday to Homedepot on Federal way and Albertsons at the micron exit. Only 1 funny look from an Albertson customer. No one seemed to notice otherwise.

Carracer, Are you going to the Western Idaho Fair? I have had zero issues open carrying at the fair and I am hoping this year will be the same. What I would like to try is open carrying at one of the free concerts. I would like to attend the "Huey Lewis and the News" concert on Wednesday, not sure I will be able to make it though.

Really not much of a fair goer last few years. I have oc there many times in the past. Years ago they had a security station set up just inside the entry. They were inspection purses etc. They had a local security guard doing so, then an Ada County Sheriff Deputy standing beside him. Two more deputies at the exit of the security station. I paid the entry fee for my wife and I and strolled into the security tent with my best dressed Colt 1911 on my hip in a Serpa retention holster, cond. one. As I walked up to the security table the guard was just finishing a ladies purse. He looked at me and stated... "Gun in holster, come on in. Next?" he then proceeded to check my wifes purse. Not so much as blinking an eye from any of the Deputies.

No issues any of the other times either. One compliment from a fairgoer one time.

Went to Idaho City over the weekend. Ate breakfast at Trudi's while wearing my best dressed 1911. Great breakfast!

Open carry

I have been open carrying daily with no negative comments all summer long. Today will be my first day out in public (Open Carrying) since the Vegas shooting. I do not expect any change in attitudes after the fact, but even if their are, I will not change my routines or my conviction in open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Freedom View Post
    I have been open carrying daily with no negative comments all summer long. Today will be my first day out in public (Open Carrying) since the Vegas shooting. I do not expect any change in attitudes after the fact, but even if their are, I will not change my routines or my conviction in open carry.

No negative encounters or observed changes of peoples attitude to my open carrying. Went to Home Depot, Walmart, Harbor Freight, and Chick-fil-a.

The weather has gotten cold, so it's back to CC (criminal carry) until spring arrives again. At least I will have the element of surprise now. LOL!

I got a new holster for my Canik 55 Stingray C. Broke it in to loosen it up and stretch the thumb break. It fit nicely until I put it on. The belt loops would curve and pull the holster tight again. I put a belt thru and wrapped it tight around the holster. Let it sit about a week. Problem fixed! It wears very well now. Put it on Sunday morning and proceeded about my day. Lowes, Albertsons and Homedepot. No issues and a great day!

I got a new holster for my Canik 55 Stingray C. Broke it in to loosen it up and stretch the thumb break. It fit nicely until I put it on. The belt loops would curve and pull the holster tight again. I put a belt thru and wrapped it tight around the holster. Let it sit about a week. Problem fixed! It wears very well now. Put it on Sunday morning and proceeded about my day. Lowes, Albertsons and Homedepot. No issues and a great day!

Could you post a picture of your new rig and pistol? I would like to see it.

"Craft" brand holster. After I ordered I found out they are not made in the USA. Slovakia I think. At least that's better than china. The fit was really tight and I had to double bag for about a week to get it acceptable, including the thumb strap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gnh.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	13463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ginh.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	13462  

"Craft" brand holster. After I ordered I found out they are not made in the USA. Slovakia I think. At least that's better than china. The fit was really tight and I had to double bag for about a week to get it acceptable, including the thumb strap.
    Thanks for posting the pics. Nice set up. Agreed on stuff made in china, anywhere is better then china.

Open carry at Boise mall

Since the wife wanted to go to the Boise mall and do some shopping I decided to go along. The Mall has a no gun policy, but I open carried anyway. Nothing was said to me, but I did get some disapproving looks. Unfortunately, Boise has had more liberal degenerates moving in to the area everyday, so it's not surprising. Had a positive encounter at Walmart with a young man who seemed interested in open carry and gave me the opportunity to encourage and promote the practice. Overall a good 4th of July.

Independence day! What better day to celebrate by open carrying! Got dressed up with my best dressed 191 and went to Idaho City for the parade and other activities. Got some hot dogs for the grandkids and myself at what used to be Donnas Place. Can't remember the new name. Went thru the park and watch the bean bag toss the kids were doing. Left and went to my property off Grimes Creek for a while. Left at about 4:30 and went to "Alive After 5" in the middle of downtown at The Grove. Watched the band play and the kids splash in the fountains. There were several hundred participants in the courtyard. Among them were members of the Comic Con that is coming to Boise. Flash Gordon and a gal in Star Wars outfitted with a Light Saber among them.

About an hour arriving there an event security guard positioned herself about 50 feet directly behind me. She got on her radio and a few minutes later another event security person arrived. They were doing some sort of activity on their cell phones for about 10 minutes until a third security arrived. Shortly after that they dispersed one at a time. The first gal came back to her post about 10 minutes later and remained. I was just aware of what was going on. May or may not have had anything to do with my OC. Possibly they were just discussing 1911 vs Glock. Don't know. Maybe whether to get pizza or other food.

All in all a great carry day... as always is in Idaho!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123