• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabela's in Portland

USNVet

I thought it was kinda comical that when you go into Cabela's there is a clerk/podium with a sign: Check your firearms in here for YOUR safety.

How am I safer if I give them my firearm.

Now if it said "for our safety" then it would imply they don't trust you with a firearm, But I'm sure they would be willing to sell you one, whether they trust you or not.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Those signs are generally intended for those bringing a gun in for service/repair, not the one you are carrying for self-defense.

You can always clarify with the store manager if in doubt.

MKEgal

And if you do hand it over, it has to be unloaded, in a case, and they won't give it back to you unless they walk you outside the store! An employee will take your unloaded pistol (which they check) in its case, and walk with you to the gun area, hand it to another employee, then wait around until your business is done, reclaim your property, and walk you out of the store. Morons.

What annoys me is coming in the door and they see me OC and say, "that's staying in the holster, right?".
They only pick on the OCers, like we're stupid or something. :cuss:
But I love their faces :shocker: when I say, "both of them will stay in their holsters". :D

But Grape is right - unless you're going to be handling it, they don't want it.
Here's the sign from our local Cabela's:

IMAG1446.jpg

USNVet

Guess I missed the 2nd sign. I'm not down with the take a number deal in the firearms dept. I'm not there to get a haircut or renew my driver's license.
I asked a question regarding if they had something and was given a quick reply. Then was told if I needed more help to take a number. I was in a hurry and left.

Then the second time I went in, I actually got to talk to someone behind the counter without taking a number, showed me the laser sight I was looking for and I decided to buy it. Then I was walked over to a register and handed over to a cashier and the guy helping me walks away. Then after waiting for a while as the cashier was in the middle of doing a firearm purchase. I said something along the lines of....."you guys need to get more help" She basically treated me like I was whining and that I should just get over it. I probably was talking to the counter guy maybe 10-15 minutes. It was at least 45 minutes for the whole ordeal. There were other cash registers and other employees in the area, but instead of someone stepping up and saying, "I can help on the next register" they just act like you're invisible I guess. Not what I would call good customer service.

I probably won't ever purchase a firearm there. If I can't grab what I want and take it to the front registers, I won't buy it there. The take a number crap is just silly and poor customer service. I worked in sales, and you need to learn how to juggle more than one customer at a time, NOT
ignore them and then tell them to take a number when they ask a question. I've been there 3-4 times and passed employees in the isles, but not once did any of them really acknowledge me or ask if I needed help. Having worked in a customer service type job in the past has made me more aware of good and bad customer service.

Last edited:

metallitrunks

While looking for a holster for my new Glock 30sf, an employee was actively trying to talk me down fron open carry. His reason was that I'd be the first one to get shot at (I was a grunt, it wouldn't be the first time). I probably won't go there again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While looking for a holster for my new Glock 30sf, an employee was actively trying to talk me down fron open carry. His reason was that I'd be the first one to get shot at (I was a grunt, it wouldn't be the first time). I probably won't go there again.

Welcome to OCDO.

Might have considered letting management know that an employee was pushing an anti politaical agenda. It's good to fix problems as they occur instead of just walking away.

We educate, educate, educate :)

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Might have considered letting management know that an employee was pushing an anti politaical agenda. It's good to fix problems as they occur instead of just walking away.

We educate, educate, educate :)

Welcome to OCDO, I hope you stay and contribute more to the conversation.
As Grape stated, Educate!! It is what we do to make it easier for the rest of us.

metallitrunks

Thanks for the warm welcomes. My better half and child were with me, so I didn't really wanna get into it. But you guys are right, I'll try the store again and hopefully have a civil conversation if it comes up again.