• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Navy Yard "Lessons Learned"

Shovelhead

For starters, we learned that the DC police department is CLUELESS.

http://www.wtop.com/1385/3716845/Lanier-discusses-lessons-learned-from-the-Navy-Yard-shootings
"WASHINGTON - More than a year after the Navy Yard shootings, the District's police chief is sharing lessons learned from the response and investigation."
She (Police Chief Cathy Lanier) ran MPD's active shooter training at locations around the city for years. While the department had worked with the Navy Yard in the past, she says the department never trained inside the Navy Yard walls.
"We made the mistaken assumption that it's a military base and everyone inside has to be armed," Lanier says.
But only a dozen people were, she says.

blahpony

So, a brief flash of common sense negated by a ridiculous law.

Too bad people had to die for their "assumption".

davidmcbeth

Banned
When I was in the USAF we all carried nuclear warheads with us; some carried more than one (in case 1 is a dud) ... of course !

Shovelhead

I can't figure out how she could get it so wrong when the Washington Navy Yard sits in her jurisdiction, and it's against the law in DC for anyone without a badge to be in possession of loose ammunition, let alone a firearm.

Last edited:

Toymaker

Who exactly was this "everyone" that she assumed was armed on a military base? It's certainly not military members who can't possess firearms unless they're on duty in a combat zone and it's certainly not federal employees or contractors who can't possess firearms on federal property.

A person in her position knows better that's why I think she's just blowing smoke.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Who exactly was this "everyone" that she assumed was armed on a military base? It's certainly not military members who can't possess firearms unless they're on duty in a combat zone and it's certainly not federal employees or contractors who can't possess firearms on federal property.

A person in her position knows better that's why I think she's just blowing smoke.

Maybe or that the person is a complete idiot and thinks everyone always has a M16 over their shoulder in case Godzilla strikes.