• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chrome malware warning in an OCDO-WA thread

WalkingWolf

This happened today, 0944 PDT. Multiple tries to reload that thread. No other threads I tried affected.

View attachment 11991

I got something simular on firefox, I simply deleted history went to add ons and added more security, plus checked software for any malware that needed to be removed. Problem gone.

Both firefox and chrome have a lot of different malware, spyware protection, you just have to take the time to add them on. The firefox extension I added was Bluhell firewall, seemed to do the trick.

I use mostly firefox(faster) but you just have to see what is available for chrome. Since support stopped for XP, and I am to cheap/frugle to buy another desktop, I am using two Linux distros, Lubuntu, and Mepis. One is smaller faster, the other a tad slower but more stable.

I got the malware using XP while burning DVDs, I tried to multitask while doing it and I was using the internet. I have never had problems on Linux, but there is some things linux does not support. But I just can't blame XP, we have had problems with windows 8.1 getting infected, don't use windows anti virus, it is no good. We went back to Avast and no more problems on 8.1. I also shifted from the free avast to the premium to get more support and protection.

This latest incident on XP only happened with OCDO and not any of my other sites. Something slipped by the cloud protection they use.

waskel

WalkingWolf, just curious... why would you equate burning DVD's with picking up malware?

Also, if you like FireFox, give Pale Moon a try. FireFox based, with so much overhead (parental controls, etc) so it's a bit faster. Uses all standard FireFox extensions.

WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf, just curious... why would you equate burning DVD's with picking up malware?

Also, if you like FireFox, give Pale Moon a try. FireFox based, with so much overhead (parental controls, etc) so it's a bit faster. Uses all standard FireFox extensions.

I was reading OCDO at the same time, hence on the internet. Otherwise I would have been on Linux like I am now.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
There wasn't actual malware in the thread but one of the posters had hot-linked a thumbs-up image from a site that hosts known malware. I removed the image. If you guys encounter any further issues let me know. That hotlink may have been used on other threads.

Thanks!

John