• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Target Addresses Firearms

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carry everywhere i go except those places deemed federal property.
Concealed means just that.
Two years of carrying and not a single incident due to my "concealed firearm".
You've been a member here since June 2011, just days before your planned purchase of your first gun, so this site's focus is nothing new to you.

Are you coming out of the closet against OC or was your reply intended as tongue in cheek? If the latter, an appropriate emoticon or further explanation would have helped.

Concealed is an optional way to carry, not a mandate of how one must carry. We respect personal choices to OC, CC, or noC.

"Everywhere except federal property" is rather all inclusive and I don't think that shoe will fit - court rooms, correctional facilities, secure areas of airports, and if you are still in California a long list of other restrictions.

Anyone who otherwise chooses to look like an unarmed potential victim is welcome to do so.

Edited to add: Reread and understand the reference/contect better now - your post however didn't make that clear. Jus' sayin'.

Last edited:

Yaki

I explained my post and was/am done repsonding to the thread as theres no reason to keep going on. I said i i get it oc. I tepsonded to the article. Enjoy the day and not get obsessed with my post :)

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Yaki

For the record i clicked the wrong forum thinking ot was calccw. But when i got the smart *** comment i replied the way i did. Now if you want to continue do so without me as its not that serious, footballs on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For the record i clicked the wrong forum thinking ot was calccw. But when i got the smart *** comment i replied the way i did. Now if you want to continue do so without me as its not that serious, footballs on.

Might have been better to edit your post accordingly, rather than to let it stand.

bc.cruiser

I don't often visit Target, but when I do I usually get some cutie offer to help me. Somehow most things I want to see are on an upper shelf, and I am unable to raise my arms above my shoulders. Yesss!:lol:

I have also never had a negative reaction to my OCed guns.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have never had an issue in Target.

I was recently ask about my open carry in a local grocery store (not Kroger) by a customer. "Are you allowed to do that?" Why yes I countered ˈjubilantly!!!

He was only asking because of the local police attitude. He was conceal carrying. (And no he did not show it to me.) His father was killed many years ago by intruders. They were never caught.

A really nice guy, we talked about a half hour, but you could tell you would not want to cross him.

utbagpiper

Banned
Personally, I've gone into apathy mode. After that brief bout of morons OCing long guns in Kroger, a bunch of places made these "requests". At first, I took it seriously. I've come to realize, however, that a holstered handgun isn't any more interesting or attention-grabbing than it was before. These "requests" were never really directed as us in the first place, and nobody seems to care anyway.

Heck, I was just in Starbucks today OCing (not for myself I might add). Nobody seemed interested. Good.

It's not my job to research "requests" that corporate promulgates through obscure media. If my presence is not wanted, managers are free place signs indicating an actual prohibition, or to ask me to leave. Barring that, I'm really not interested any longer.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I am reminded that one tangential benefit to OC is the normalization of everyday carry. Well, wearing t-shirts is also normal activity. And yet, some places do prohibit t-shirts. Do t-shirt wearers research whether t-shirts are OK in every establishment? Or do they simply assume t-shirts are OK, excepting a very few specific establishments they have prior reason to suspect are not t-shirt friendly?

+1 with one small exception.

If it is legal, I see no reason not to carry, including past non-legally-binding signage that may or may not be easy to see. If my gun is really not welcome at that location at that time, an employee can ask me to leave.

If someone really doesn't want me to come into their business property after advertising and encouraging me to come shop, they can install metal detectors or at least hire employees who are able to notice a full-sized 1911 OC'd, and who care enough to ask me to leave.

Now, in a location where signage carries force of law, I may need to be a little more careful about noticing such signs. :)

Charles

Last edited:

solus

snip....

If it is legal, I see no reason not to carry, including past non-legally-binding signage that may or may not be easy to see. :)

Charles

mate, you have continually reiterated this theme of ignoring property owners rights where their is signage through various threads on this forum...i think you put it as you carry in COSTCO, quote badly concealed unquote

Marshaul's June stated "If my presence is not wanted, managers are free place signs indicating an actual prohibition, or to ask me to leave."

apparently even with signs indicating an actual prohibition...you don't care and still wear your firearm in the private establishment.

finally, per your own by line, as UTAH's leading firearm advocate, are you setting a viable example by preaching one thing from your website platform and then on a public forum stepping out and stating 'nawlll i don't follow those pesky gun buster signs private enterprises put on their doors ~ causes me to much inconvenience!!'

ipse

Last edited:

OC Freedom

+1 with one small exception.

If it is legal, I see no reason not to carry, including past non-legally-binding signage that may or may not be easy to see. If my gun is really not welcome at that location at that time, an employee can ask me to leave.

If someone really doesn't want me to come into their business property after advertising and encouraging me to come shop, they can install metal detectors or at least hire employees who are able to notice a full-sized 1911 OC'd, and who care enough to ask me to leave.

Now, in a location where signage carries force of law, I may need to be a little more careful about noticing such signs. :)

Charles

+1

In Idaho gun buster signs have no force of law, so I too ignore them, but so far I have only seen one store have one.

utbagpiper

Banned
...this theme of ignoring property owners rights where their [sic] is signage...

Exactly which signage did you want me to pay attention to and respect in our modern world? Which do you think are worthy of respect?

no-colored-allowed-black-americana-cast-iron-sign-10x4_220665307171.jpg

34173_Hooligan-no-blacksno-irishno-dogs.jpg

no-irish-1a.jpg

No-Guns-Jews-Blacks-395x263.jpg

imagesizer

racial_discrimination.jpg

no-guns-sign-template.jpg

People are prone to claim a lot of "rights" that I just don't feel compelled to recognize.

I don't recognize any right for a father to engage in an "honor killing" or even genital mutilation of his daughter.

I don't recognize any right to encumber a home with any limitation on selling that home to a black man, Catholic, Jew, etc. I don't care how much both sides of the sale, or even the rest of the neighbors support such private contracts, I don't recognize such contracts as valid. See "violation of public policy" exception.

I don't recognize someone else's claimed "right" to "feel safe", or not to be offended, or other such silly emotional responses.

I don't think the following photo show an exercise of any real "right".
1297338337813_ORIGINAL.jpg

I don't believe in letting the free market solve this issue. I believe the following is half a step removed from deadly assault and is rightfully prohibited and punished by law before anyone gets injured or killed.

We are obliged to obey the law.

We ought to give some thought to how our conduct is going to affect public respect for the real, enumerated, judicially recognized right to keep and bear arms.

But I'm not really interested in sitting at the back of the bus or being denied service at the lunch counter just because my particular minority group has not yet been granted full anti-discrimination protections.

If someone cares enough to install real security, I won't carry. If they care enough to notice my firearm (whether OC'd or CC'd) and ask me to leave, I'll leave. I'm just no longer worried about obscure requests, policies, or even discriminatory signage.

As you noted, I have made my position on this well know. So quit harping on it just because you don't like it. Disagree civilly. Argue rationally, cogently, and maturely if you are able. Or else let it go.

finally, per your own by line, as UTAH's leading firearm advocate,

Yet in the SCOTUS makes a good callthread you had this to say about me:

you mean piper's apparently dead website with the last reader feedback dating back to 2007 and the latest dated article 2014? you mean that type of active in helping with no apparent life of late in the website?

And
consider providing objective & verifiable statements about the goodness done instead of making subjective and unsubstantiated emotionalized statements about the bravado on accomplishments only to discern they are unsubstantiated bravado and as clint said so nicely...'legends in their own mind' mentality.

for goodness sake...he admits he has a 'date' with his partner and shows up on the last day of legislative session...ya that is a good idea to do glad hand'g on the day everyone goes home...

I have no "by line" so...

Have you changed your view of me and my political activism? Or are you shamelessly shifting your position to whatever makes the most convenient platform from which to attack me personally?

It is well past time to leave your personality issues behind and stick to real issues.

Charles

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
In Idaho gun buster signs have no force of law, so I too ignore them, but so far I have only seen one store have one.

I'm not sure if it is just the culture reflected in law, or if the lack of laws giving force to "no gun" signs has a real effect, but it does seem that we just don't have very many locations advertising hostility to RKBA here in Utah.

In any event, I figure if they don't have real security, they aren't really serious.

If they can't notice a full sized 1911 OCd, they are not serious at all.

And what lawful items I may have in my pockets or under my shirt are nobody's business anyway. A store might just as well presume to ban boxers as to expect anyone to take a ban on CC'd guns seriously in the absence of real security or any legal penalty.

Charles

HPmatt

Target just missed Revenue and EPS targets....stock price down more than 13% this morning - because of attempts to curb 2A in stores. Some impact from Amazon, Walmart free-shipping, but just a little trickle due to LGBTQ bathrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cm2624

It seems like they just want to do another thing to piss off more customers. I have not been there to shop in a very long time. I will never go to any of their stores again!

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Target just missed Revenue and EPS targets....stock price down more than 13% this morning - because of attempts to curb 2A in stores. Some impact from Amazon, Walmart free-shipping, but just a little trickle due to LGBTQ bathrooms.

Retail shopping is down, the companies that did not prepare for it are feeling the affects. Companies already in trouble are going bye bye.

F350

When I was in Cape Girardeau, CCW just passed and a large department store immediately posted a no guns sign. About a year later they went out of business and I enjoyed picking the bones clean at the "going out of business clearance sale"; it was just before Christmas and the wife's jewelry collection grew quite a bit with several necklace, ear ring and ring sets. I'm looking forward to the same thing at Target.

Wstar425

May be the reason, maybe not. It sure seems like they are catering to one political bend.

To be honest, for every person you upset about not allowing firearms, there's some number of people being made happy. I have no idea the ratio, or which way it swings. Pun intended.

I haven't been in a Target in years. If you can't get it at Fleet Farm, you don't need it! Mostly. 😎

HPmatt

In Dallas it is Target vs Walmart vs Costco/Sams - no Fleet Farms. Of course daughter uses Amazon Prime Panty where they deliver all that stuff to your door 'for free'.