• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weekly get togethers? Talk Politics?

DWCook

Activist Member
I know this maybe a long shot, but back in Kansas we had weekly gatherings which turned out to be fun as you get to meet new people. I was curious if anyone here does this, I've seen a few postings of others that have done this. If it's pretty small, I would like to see if folks here would be interested in having weekly meetings to talk politics and such. I know Alaska is pretty much the most open state when it comes to carrying/concealing, but I would like to actually get more active for the other states. I feel even though we have more flex when it comes to firearm laws up here, I think we should be more involved in helping other states out with their battle. We aren't just fighting our rights to "open carry", we are also helping the fight when it comes to unfair laws and such pressed against fellow carriers. Opinions are welcome for this idea and I would really like to see if I can get others on board with this idea. This would create a positive view for other states knowing they have more weight across the line.

I do understand that something like this has likely been attempted before and or thought of. But I think this would be great in the long run, this would paint a bigger picture for our cause. I feel extremely at home here in Alaska and have plans to never move from here. So I figured what better way than to give some help to other states and such. Even if it's small and wouldn't press much, it still counts for a lot. Also another thing, this might be a bit extreme of an idea, but I would like think of some ideas to help with the drunk driving and huge alcohol problems that strikes this state so much. If you have an idea or opinion please feel free to shout it, but please lets not make this thread a screaming, shouting, or become disrespectful to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Never been to Alaska and probably will never get to go, but I hope you get something going on a regular basis, even if not weekly.

As an aside, just for some comparison and "what other states are doing" (or NOT doing in MOST cases, sadly, as I've seen): A group of Albuquerque/Rio Rancho, New Mexico OC-ers are meeting weekly @ a Dunkin' Donuts in ABQ, but here in Colorado, it seems some OC-ers think even meeting monthly is "too frequent."

Time will tell on that, yet I shall "endeavor to persevere"* re: monthly OC events regardless...either until my time is up here in the Great State of Colorado and I move to another state, or, it becomes clear "resistance is futile"** here in CO and I give the effort up.

Good luck to you there in the Great State of Alaska!

* Chief Lone Waite in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" (1976)
** What aliens in NM (especially in the Roswell area) frequently say to locals.

P.S. I notice your "Alaska Events" area has ZERO postings...NO STATE should have a "0" in the Events area. Even in sorry states that have NEITHER OC or CC (like backwards Hawaii), "gun people" people could meet regularly to plan ways to GET OC or CC in such a repressive state -- and join the rest of the so-called Union of States (the majority of which have OC, CC or both). So there are any number of reasons to have get-together events, as you also mention.

A while back, I noticed that Colorado had the very same "0" for Events so I decided to change that. If for no other reason, it was just plain embarrassing. ;-)

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Never been to Alaska and probably will never get to go, but I hope you get something going on a regular basis, even if not weekly.
SNIP...
there are any number of reasons to have get-together events, as you also mention.

A while back, I noticed that Colorado had the very same "0" for Events so I decided to change that. If for no other reason, it was just plain embarrassing. ;-)

I will echo cloudcroft's sentiments, and I'll ad my own:
If nothing else, you can set up events, attend, and if you eventually get a group of two or three, you can honestly claim to have increased attendance at OC events by 200-300% in your area.;)
In all seriousness though, if you make it, they will come.:)

I wish you the best of luck in your noble cause, DWCook.:)
Here's a more poetic rendition:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?120011-Pro-OC-POEMS&p=2050214#post2050214

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
DWCook,

Yes, I agree with Rusty: Don't waste your time (and sanity) messing around doing a back & forth in your Alaska Events area trying to get people to agree on a specific date/time/place as that doesn't work well as you MAINLY just waste a lot of time with hardly any agreement to come of it! "Herding Cats" comes to mind...

Instead, YOU go ahead and choose a date, time & location for "your" OC 1st get-together event, then POST it, period.

Here's how *I* do it here in Colorado (if it helps):

I go with weekends as I assume most people are working during the week and may want to spend evenings @ home with their families, so MY "policy" is weekdays/week-evenings are out/unavailable (EXCEPT on the rare occasions I go up to the VA Medical Facility in Denver during a weekday (they're not open weekends!), then I post a weekday OC Event for that afternoon -- way in advance of course -- AFTER my appointment). Since I need to be in Denver (about 60 miles from Colorado Springs) anyway when I go to the VA up there, I thought I may as well make an OC event of it so not to waste the opportunity to get OC/CC/Newbies in the Denver area a local event to attend...even if it must be a weekday afternoon vs. a Sunday.

Specifically on weekends, I choose Sunday (afternoon) as the best "free time" (IMO) available, since Saturdays may be when people want to get things done @ home (chores and such) and, I choose a local Denny's/IHOP/Village Inn (or other such similar coffee-shop/restaurant, rather than a sit-down "full-service" restaurant -- don't know what YOU have local in your town in Alaska) as most afternoons are "dead time" in most eateries and they are really slow (few or even NO customers) so they can use the business AND, the server can use the tips! And they don't mind (during their non-busy period) a group of guys/gals sitting at a table for 2-3 hours (or more sometimes!), tying-up said table, since it's not busy anyway.

I choose locations I ALREADY GO TO ANYWAY personally (IHOP/Denny's/Village Inn), so it's convenient for ME also so essentially, people are JOINING me somewhere I'd already be anyway. And I rotate locations around town as Colorado Springs is kind of large and I sometimes do an event in the South part of town, sometimes in the Center, and sometimes in the North -- to make it easier for attendees who live in those areas driving-time-wise (I live in the North part of COS since I have to commute to Castle Rock once a week). Presently, I am doing OC events on the 3rd Sunday of every month...only the locations change so I post them at least 2 weeks ahead of time for sufficient notice to everyone. But YOU could make it the same day and place each month or different days & places...it's your decision as to what will work best for YOU.

So to get events started, YOU decide and just go ahead and post it! Then go (NEVER miss your own event!) and see who shows up. If no one shows, do it again for next month...don't give up too early. SOMEONE should be doing this in Alaska...right now, it's YOU, so keep at it for a while.

And remember, since YOU are the one starting this up there in the Great State of Alaska (!), YOU are the "Founder," CEO/COO, President, Chairman of the Board, Prime Minister [whatever you want ;-) ] of this event, so YOU make the calls. Once it gets going, and you get other regular attendees, get their input (of course) on future meetings and fine-tune your scheduling, but for NOW, YOU make the call so not to waste further time getting events started.

Even later on, if/when things get going, you STILL will be the "Founding Member" of these OC Events. :)

Hope all that ("OC Event tips") helps!

Best wishes from the Great [OC] State of Colorado...

P.S. I have found that members posting RSVPs to your OC Event post is NOT an accurate way to judge how many attendees to expect, since it often happens that some people who SAY (RSVP) they are coming do NOT show up, and some people who do not RSVP in the thread DO show up...so I don't ask people to RSVP -- just show up (or not). Frankly, the ONLY person I know FOR SURE who will be there is Yours Truly, since I am the "host," but can't be sure anyone else will...so it's wait & see who shows up.

As mentioned, I ALWAYS show up at these events.

And so far, my attendance record is perfect (100%).

;-)

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Nothing further from the OP? And still zeroes in the Alaska Events area...

Well, Rusty, we tried.

Which reminds me of this brief list of factiods:

1. It seems that in most every state, only about 3% of people who are eligible to get a CC permit actually DO so. That's VERY FEW PEOPLE (meaning decent citizens, not street-trash or gangsters) out & about who are armed at any given time. Even then, some of them still don't CC in spite of having a permit (the ultimate enigma).

2. A VERY TINY number of that already small group of "3%-ers" OC their handguns. They're sometimes referred to as "unicorns" as they are so rare, but still so much more prevalent out there than the next group (3).

3. An almost microscopic percentage (!) of OC-ers take it upon themselves to organize OC Get-Together Events in their area -- these are the rarest "unicorns" of all.

Happy July 4th weekend, everyone... (what's left of it)!

...even if only the crickets are chirping up there in AK. ;-)

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
I'm still here fellows., my apologies I been extremely busy. I am still in the works of setting up an OC event here in Anchorage. Just don't want to slap something together and call it good, needs to be solid.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Good, the July 4th weekend notwithstanding...

Be sure to let us know how things are going up there in your part of AK as they develop. Just because some of us don't LIVE in AK doesn't mean we don't care -- we still see you all as brothers in "The Cause."

Regardless of what OC state under discussion, however, we need MANY MORE unicorns* out there on the streets!

*meaning OC-ers, since by definition, CC-ers are invisible and want to remain so.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
We are all brothers in this cause! I do extremely appreciate the support from other states, means a lot. Even though this state has relaxed gun laws, that doesn't mean stop the fight. I love how Kansas officially became an OPEN CARRY state by a passing law. Almost makes me miss my home state as I grew up there and such. Who knows maybe someday I might move back to Kansas.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"Even though this state has relaxed gun laws, that doesn't mean stop the fight." -- DWCook

Good point: Strong OC states (AKA: Gold Star States) shouldn't get complacent -- or overconfident that nothing will change for the worse (like what happened here in CO a while back). Even in the OC states, we STILL need lots of OC-ers out there so the public doesn't get complacent (or forgetful) about the 2nd Amendment/RKBA issue, either.

I mean a gun out-of-sight is out-of-mind, yes?

Besides...we need you [yes, YOU personally DWCook -- you have duly been elected to be personally responsible for the whole state of AK ;-) ] to keep AK strong because if it all goes South down here in the contiguous 48 in the uncertain political future of America, some of us will need to escape to AK (HI will be out if it remains as oppressive as it is and has been since Statehood) -- so keep the doors open for us just in case.

And leaving AK's front porch light on would also be helpful...in case we arrive after dark.

:)

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I'm still here fellows., my apologies I been extremely busy. I am still in the works of setting up an OC event here in Anchorage. Just don't want to slap something together and call it good, needs to be solid.

Sooo,,, Alaska has constitutional carry, and folks there dont seem too concerned, or just dont care.

I dont know how or where you could/ would/ should / can, find folks to attend an OC/ CC/ NoC get together there.

On OCDO in the last 12 months only "6" Alaska posters in the top 9 threads have been active.

In order of
screen name,,, location
no. of posts,,, join date,,, last Alaska post

Calavaryman,,, Anchorage
308,,, 6-10,,, 7-31-13

AKj,,, Fairbanks
2,,, 9-13,,, 9-2-13

zeninthesun,,, spokane/ moved to Fairbanks
8,,, 8-12,,, 1-18-14

Diesel,,, Anchorage
14,,, 6-12,,, 2-7-14

mobiushky,,, Alaska
759,,, 5-12,,, 3-26-14

DWCook,,, Anshorage
349,,, The only CURRENT OCDO poster in Alaska!

Your best/maybe only local bet is Cavalryman,
Oorrrr,,,, your friends that want to have lunch with you to get something started.

DWCook

Activist Member
When I get a more concrete plan, I'll definitely get in contact with him. Having regular meetings and talk politics would be healthy and also give us ideas on how we can help others out in different states.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Yes, I agree with Rusty: Don't waste your time (and sanity) messing around doing a back & forth in your Alaska Events area trying to get people to agree on a specific date/time/place as that doesn't work well as you MAINLY just waste a lot of time with hardly any agreement to come of it! "Herding Cats" comes to mind...

Instead, YOU go ahead and choose a date, time & location for "your" OC 1st get-together event, then POST it, period.
+1 - whenever one or more are gathered in my name......Rt. Rev. John Moses Browning :)

We enjoy weekly Sat. breakfasts and a monthly dinner in the Greater Richmond market. While the dinners are most often well attended, the breakfasts tend to be smaller. Really though if only one were there, it does spread the word and keeps the pot stirred - gotta eat somewhere, why not announce location, date & time?

Good luck and enjoy.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Just some thoughts on having OC events:

Although I don't base the success of "my" OC events here in Colorado (or when I have done and still do them in NM) on the numbers of attendees (i.e., a 10 attendees event is more "successful" than a 4 attendees event), I will say that participation COULD here in CO be better -- but that could be said of other states, too, where there ARE a fair number of "unicorns" out there OC-ing, yet most of them don't attend OC events (even IF OC events ARE scheduled in their area...which is rare, sadly). Perhaps they don't read the online OC Forums so they don't KNOW of the scheduled events. But speaking about MY area here in Colorado Springs (and up to Denver) only, I post in 3 different forums here and there are maybe 200+ "reads" of said posts by the time of the OC event, so it seems plenty of people ARE aware of a particular scheduled OC event. Not EVERYONE is aware, but a good number are anyway.

I don't know why, but it is disappointing that we have x-number (who really knows how few or how many) of "lone wolves" out there OC-ing every day, yet we can't reach them (on whatever level). And there are MANY MORE people who CC.

Speaking of CC, and unlike most OC events I have seen earlier, I make it a point to invite CC-ers to "my" OC events -- in an effort to deal with (and hopefully overcome) the often adversarial relationship there is between CC-ers and OC-ers, mainly, CC-ers not approving of OC. IMO, that's because they "don't get it" (ignorance) probably because they haven't looked into it in any depth whatsoever. They just keep parroting what they're heard other CC-ers say about OC. So to me, the "educating" of the general public out there re: OC-ing ALSO needs to be applied to CC-ers! The two groups need to come together, not be drawn further apart. Consequently, CC-ers are invited to our OC events here in CO so we OC-ers can explain WHY we OC. In addition, they may not realize that most (if not all) of us also have CC permits -- so we at least DO have that in common -- we just choose to OC (for assorted reasons, which we CAN explain if CC-ers would come to our events). A few CC-ers HAVE come -- which has been great -- but since there are MANY MORE CC-ers than OC-ers out there, MANY MORE CC-ers should be attending (even outnumbering the OC-ers as there are way fewer of them to begin with).

Hopefully, the CC-ers who DO attend will then understand OC better and at least not be actively against it.

Rule # 1 is to CARRY -- however you do it, OC or CC -- we just want to explain why WE OC most of the time.

As I've told other OC-ers at these events, we who attend will continue to do our own "lone wolf" OC-ing out there as isolated individuals as per usual -- even without any organized OC events -- it's just that we think we should ALSO have events where we can meet each other...and discuss assorted topics related to "The Cause." For example, at a recent OC event I asked for info on which candidate is most supportive of the 2n Amendment/RKBA (as I am fairly new to the area) -- so I could use MY vote most effectively (we will attempt to dump our sorry anti-gun Democrat Governor Hicklenlooper this coming election). So I appreciate talking to & learning from other OC-ers who have been here longer (or even Colorado natives) about such matters at these OC events since without them I'd not be as knowledgeable of such things.

Perhaps most OC-ers simply don't see any value in OC get-together events, or perhaps CC-ers just don't care to meet OCers -- who knows. But certainly there COULD be MORE people attending. Still, I think it's worth the effort to TRY anyway.

Regardless, even a FEW of us at a local Denny's/IHOP or Village Inn (a nice chain restaurant only, TMK, in CO, NM & El Paso, TX) may be the FIRST time ANY of the other customers, staff & management have seen even 1 OC-er in their restaurant (OC-ers being the "unicorns" they of course) let alone several of them at the same time and in one place! And despite having "guys with scary guns" at a table or two -- with all the UNarmed & defenseless people in the place (customers/employees) -- NOTHING BAD HAPPENED! So in that sense, it's a success. So even if there are only a few of us there that day, there's still some D&E (Desensitizing & Education) goin' on regardless. At least IMO it's a success, since without the event it's most likely that ZERO OC-ers would have been there that day in that place (excluding any CC-ers present there as they'd have zero "D&E value" since no one could SEE their guns).

Whatever, when it comes to OC events, sometimes you just have to take "success" as it comes, even if in tiny doses, but it's still worth the effort.

And considering the alternative -- no one doing anything at all -- it sure is the better of the two.

;-)

P.S. Reaching CC-ers is important in another way, too, especially here in Colorado: The City and County of Denver (arrogantly) exempted itself from its own Colorado State Constitution in that Denver City & County does NOT allow OC. So if people living in Denver want to carry, it MUST be CC. Consequently, any attempt to get Denver to obey said State Constitution and allow OC in the future will require a majority of the CC-ers of Denver to support such an effort. Most likely, they probably see no reason to do so as THEY don't (even if they wanted to) OC, so there is no reason for THEM to vote for any changes to the present anti-OC policy.

So maybe more so here in CO than in other states, it's important to bridge the gap between OC-ers & CC-ers so the two groups act as one politically (i.e., voting). Denver will have to be forced to allow OC (the courts so far are 50-50 in it, IIRC, so the status-quo remains) and that won't happen without the support of Denver CC-ers (however many there are...who knows). And if such an issue comes up to be decided by the voters, it's only residents of Denver who will be able to vote, not the rest of us outside Denver, so again, the CC-ers of Denver must be convinced things should change. If not, OC across ALL of Colorado -- including "special" Denver -- isn't likely to happen.

Yes, if we get a new Governor this coming election -- dump our present anti-gun Democrat Governor Hickenloooper -- THAT might help, but it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Hopefully here in the next two weeks I'll be posting an open carry event here in Anchorage. Checking out some of the local parks to see if there would be any problems with a group of people openly carrying.

mobiushky

Until fairly recently, mobiushky was a resident of Colorado (Parker, IIRC) and was very active in the CO state sub-forum here.

He should be a good person to get a hold of now that he's in AK.

I'm still around. Just got tired of the well let's just say the ego's of the forum.

Thing about AK is people pretty much just want you to stay out of their business. Not that they don't like it, just leave me alone and we'll be fine. I've been a lot more into the local outdoor forums etc. There was an OC event in Wasilla recently and someone is trying to set up a second one. But I don't know when. It appears even they don't have a set date.

Then you have that whole Los Anchorage thing where people outside Anch don't like people in Anch. Etc, Etc. My bet is the Mat-Su valley is the place to look to have a group. But I'm in Anch so it's a hike for me to get there. OC up here is more likely to be large bore wheel gun for bear protection. That sort of thing.

You might even try something like a weekly or monthly shoot at a local range. Birchwood is a great range and it would be fun to have a regular get together shoot. I'm there every Wed for a pistol competition.

UPDATE: South Central Patriots did it on Independence Day at the AIH on Parks. If I see anything else, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

mobiushky

DWCook...

Any news?

Progress?

Have a coffee (but probably not @ Starbucks) with Mobiusky and OC-chat?

I haven't heard anything. Still competing weekly at the local range.

Though to be fair, we don't really have any pressing controversy regarding gun ownership or carrying up here. They hashed out a lot of the controversy when they went to constitutional carry etc. And most everyone carries openly in the wilds.

I mean, to be honest, the only retail chain store up here that doesn't sell guns is Target... I believe there's some irony there.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
While a "pressing controversy" might be a good reason for an OC event, it's probably a rare reason and certainly not required. There are a number of reasons to get together (preferably regularly). One of them was the OP's reason: "Talking politics."

But there really doesn't have to be any formality, an agenda or guest speakers. Just meeting other OC-ers -- and CC-ers/newbies as well. At least that's why *I* have them here in Colorado...and my yearly event in New Mexico.

We DO want to dump or sorry anti-gun Governor here come the next election and get some of his laws repealed -- and maybe figuring out a way to get Denver to go OC (like the REST of the state and as per the Colorado State Constitution, that arrogant Denver thinks doesn't apply Denver/Denver County) -- but the OTHER reasons for getting together are more common.

Talking about kicking said Governor out the door is merely icing on the cake.

;-)

Last edited:

mobiushky

While a "pressing controversy" might be a good reason for an OC event, it's probably a rare reason and certainly not required. There are a number of reasons to get together (preferably regularly). One of them was the OP's reason: "Talking politics."

But there really doesn't have to be any formality, an agenda or guest speakers. Just meeting other OC-ers -- and CC-ers/newbies as well. At least that's why *I* have them here in Colorado...and my yearly event in New Mexico.

We DO want to dump or sorry anti-gun Governor here come the next election and get some of his laws repealed -- and maybe figuring out a way to get Denver to go OC (like the REST of the state and as per the Colorado State Constitution, that arrogant Denver thinks doesn't apply Denver/Denver County) -- but the OTHER reasons for getting together are more common.

Talking about kicking said Governor out the door is merely icing on the cake.

;-)

My apologies, I think I may have mislead you. I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't have meetings. I was more commenting on the lack of enthusiasm for them by locals. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm just commenting on the general lack of a pressing reason for people up here to meet leading to a reduced enthusiasm for maintaining a meeting weekly, or whatever.

A lot of times these kinds of events start up as a response to a hot ticket item and then bloom into a weekly thing. But there just doesn't seem to be that kind of motivation around here. That coupled with a tendency to want others to mind their own business... LOL.

It was explanation not excuse. Hope that makes sense.