• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of State visiting Delaware

ChadShaft

I'll be visiting Delaware from New Jersey for the day in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if a valid Federal Fire Arms ID card is all I need to open carry in the state or is there some sort of permit issued by the state of Delaware that I would need.

I apologize as I'm sure this questioned has been asked before, I however didn't see it anywhere.

Thanks,
-Chad

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No permit is needed to open carry in Delaware.
http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

From another thread:
OC in DE is not an issue. However OC in City of Dover requires written permission from the chief of police. So at least in the city of Dover conceal with your permit otherwise enjoy DE's open carry laws. There are restricted areas like court houses, police stations,state parks, federal buildings. Just read up on restrictions. Signs are not enforceable here but if you are asked to leave and refuse to you can be charged with misdemeanor trespassing, or something like that.

Jay Lowman

Yes non residents are are allowed to open carry. You can even have it loaded in your vehicle as long as it is holstered and in plain sight, such as passenger front seat or on dash. You can find tons of info on deloc.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes non residents are are allowed to open carry. You can even have it loaded in your vehicle as long as it is holstered and in plain sight, such as passenger front seat or on dash. You can find tons of info on deloc.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of us are aware that it is lawful to open carry in Delaware and conceal with a Delaware CCDW if you're a resident or with a license from a state in a reciprocity agreement with Delaware if you're a non-resident.

Open carry in a vehicle in Delaware is lawful behavior -- the firearm must be in plain view. The unofficial direction we've obtained from the Attorney General's office is either to have your firearm on the passenger seat or on the dashboard. This can be problematic as sudden stops and sharp turns can cause your weapon to slide off the seat or, heaven forbid, out of your window.

It has been recommended to pick up a cheap "clip" holster so that you might be able to either holster your weapon in that and clip it to a fastened seatbelt in the passenger seat or affix heavy duty velcro (think EZ-Pass grade) to the dash and holster to keep it in place.

If you are not licensed to conceal, DO NOT:

• Leave your weapon in your shoulder/belt holster.
  • Put your firearm in your center console.
  • Put your firearm in the glove compartment.
  • Put your firearm under your seat.
http://deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31

Last edited: