• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New resident since June of 2013

DWCook

Activist Member
I have questions in regards of getting the CCW permit here in Alaska. Is it really worth the money and time to get the permit even though here in Alaska there is no law requiring permits for concealed or open carry? Reason why I ask is I will hopefully soon be getting on at the Anchorage Correctional Complex as an Correctional Officer. I am originally from Kansas and there it was required to have a CCW permit in order to conceal your weapon. Just trying to see the main reason why I should get the permit over not getting the permit. I do not sell weapons nor do I want to as I keep all that I purchase.

In short I am needing opinions on why it might be useful to have the permit over not having the permit. I have only been living up here in Anchorage since June of last year.

Diesel

The 1st reason to have a Alaska CCW is for reciprocity. States that honor Alaska CCW are also listed below

Got this from http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

These states honor Alaska CCW permit:
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

The 2nd reason is a little different. No one can carry a gun into a restaurant that serves intoxicating beverages unless they have a CCW permit. If you have a CCW then you may carry, although you may not consume any intoxicating beverages.

If you look up the Alaska Statues starting with AS 11.61.190. and read through AS 11.61.220, most recent updates are in parentheses.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/folioproxy.asp?url=http://wwwjnu01.legis.state.ak.us/folhome.htm (2013)
or
http://www.legis.state.ak.us/default.htm (2009)

Firearms Iinstuctor

As CO in Alaska are you going to be considered a LEO for the purpose of the LEOSA or commonly known as HR218.

If you well fall under HR218 you will have a 50 state permit.

Last edited:

mobiushky

An additional benefit to the CCW permit is the "4473 Exempt" adder. State law allows you to file a one time 4473 which serves as your defacto background check for purchases made while your CCW is valid. (5 years). So, you walk into gun store, say I'd like such and such, show your card pay your money, leave. No 4473 form, no NICS wait.

That alone might be worth it.

REVISION:

I left what I said, but I wanted to correct something I've recently learned. The card is an NICS exempt card. You still have to fill out the 4473, but there is not additional NICS check with each purchase. They run the NICS once when you get the CCW and that's all. So take that for what it's worth. Just wanted to correct myself.

Last edited:

mobiushky

The 2nd reason is a little different. No one can carry a gun into a restaurant that serves intoxicating beverages unless they have a CCW permit. If you have a CCW then you may carry, although you may not consume any intoxicating beverages.

I disagree. The statute you want is Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree:

In particular:

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person:
(2) knowingly possesses a loaded firearm on the person in any place where intoxicating liquor is sold for consumption on the premises;...

However, in (d) it says:

(d) In a prosecution under (a)(2) of this section, it is
(1) an affirmative defense that
(A) [Repealed, Sec. 7 ch 62 SLA 2003].
(B) the loaded firearm was a concealed handgun as defined in AS 18.65.790; and
(C) the possession occurred at a place designated as a restaurant for the purposes of AS 04.16.049 and the defendant did not consume intoxicating liquor at the place;

Now AS 18.65.790 (3) says:

(3) "concealed handgun" means a firearm, that is a pistol or a revolver, and that is covered or enclosed in any manner so that an observer cannot determine that it is a handgun without removing it from that which covers or encloses it or without opening, lifting, or removing that which covers or encloses it; however, "concealed handgun" does not include a shotgun, rifle, or a prohibited weapon as defined under AS 11.61.200;
Nothing noting a permit is required. Definition #5 is "permit" but that is the definition of a permit, not the definition of a concealed handgun. A permit is not required to define the gun as concealed, so you can carry a concealed handgun into a premise without a permit so long as you don't drink and the place is a "restaurant" not purely a bar.

Diesel

mobiushky,

My information may be old as I was using the info on this site. Im sure it was a law at sometime, though it looks like that part may have been repealed. I took the CCW class 1 or 2 years ago, so I will have to find the info given to me.

mobiushky

mobiushky,

My information may be old as I was using the info on this site. Im sure it was a law at sometime, though it looks like that part may have been repealed. I took the CCW class 1 or 2 years ago, so I will have to find the info given to me.

No worries. No matter what I say, #1 I'm not a lawyer just a glutton for punishment who loves to read and understand code and law. #2, even if a lawyer would agree with me, the cops may not care. So, "enter at your own risk" as they say. But I do believe that carrying in a restaurant is ok, so long as you're not drinking.