• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry and elementary age kids

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Getting back to the OP and his original question:

There is a message you are not seeing because of your apprehension over what other people might think/say.

Why are you carrying? If you are like most of the rest of us it is for self defense and defense of family/loved ones. I'm going out on a limb by guessing you love your nephew and want to protect him from harm.

Is your nephew already aware that you wear a handgun? If so, does he have any understanding of the reason(s) you wear a handgun? If "yes" to either of those questions, then why confuse things by acting/dressing differently at this event?

As for the other parents at the event - this will be a great opportunity to explain to them why you wear a handgun. It might even get them to start thinking about their kids. And if the kids ask why you wear a handgun it might get them thinking about their parents. <evil grin>

And if yu do get negative comments, remain calm and polite - perhaps to the point of not engaging in conversation with the people making the negative comments. Let your behavior show you are law-abiding and in control.

stay safe.

dakatak87

I often OC when I get my 8 yr old off the bus. Two other moms are there too. I have talked with them several times while OC and they have never said anything. About six kids get off with my son. I carry no matter what. When the kids see other parents responsible with guns, then ask their parents about it, it may be good for RKBA in the long run. I OC and am not ashamed of it.

my .02

OC for ME

I overheard a conversation my eight year old had with his friend, essentially the question was, "why does your dad have a gun", my son said to him "my dad won't let anybody hurt me, my brother, or my mom."

Red Dawg

Thanks for the thoughts. Taken under advisement, and will just go about my business as usual. Heck the dang place might be anti and posted...Prob still going to say hi, and bow out and go over to the range for a bit anyway....Only able to hang with youngins just so long...Was thinking more on it, and it's no diferent than going to the park, and other places where there are a bunch of kids, so, thanks for helping me think more...Not a damn thing to worry about....

sudden valley gunner

Little kids do not have an inherent fear of guns. That is a learned behavior.

The more people, including little kids, see responsible people (not cops) carrying firearms, the better the world will be.

All this does is play into the Anti's favor.

Getting back to the OP and his original question:

There is a message you are not seeing because of your apprehension over what other people might think/say.

Why are you carrying? If you are like most of the rest of us it is for self defense and defense of family/loved ones. I'm going out on a limb by guessing you love your nephew and want to protect him from harm.

Is your nephew already aware that you wear a handgun? If so, does he have any understanding of the reason(s) you wear a handgun? If "yes" to either of those questions, then why confuse things by acting/dressing differently at this event?

As for the other parents at the event - this will be a great opportunity to explain to them why you wear a handgun. It might even get them to start thinking about their kids. And if the kids ask why you wear a handgun it might get them thinking about their parents. <evil grin>

And if yu do get negative comments, remain calm and polite - perhaps to the point of not engaging in conversation with the people making the negative comments. Let your behavior show you are law-abiding and in control.

stay safe.

Good posts!

I have more positive comments than negative after these tragic occurrences.

77zach

OC is educational for kids. From a very young age, they somehow get the notion that OC is illegal even in OC state. I've had little kids ask me about my OC, "won't you get arrested?". The conditioning is very real, and the enemy uses this to their advantage.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I have no problem concealing my carry gun and do so from time to time when I deem it to be in my better interest due to time or place or both. This may be one of those times and places for you to do this if for no other reason that the fact it raised a question in your mind. Your decision to take. I would ignore what others tell you and do (comments are fine) as YOU feel you should do.

sudden valley gunner

I have no problem concealing my carry gun and do so from time to time when I deem it to be in my better interest due to time or place or both. This may be one of those times and places for you to do this if for no other reason that the fact it raised a question in your mind. Your decision to take. I would ignore what others tell you and do (comments are fine) as YOU feel you should do.

+1 Do what you are comfortable doing. If you are going to look and feel uncomfortable that may do more to alarm people than the fact you are openly carrying a firearm.

donny

Nope, no OC attention whoring going on here. Move along, nothing to see...

rpyne

I overheard a conversation my eight year old had with his friend, essentially the question was, "why does your dad have a gun", my son said to him "my dad won't let anybody hurt me, my brother, or my mom."

I had a very similar experience at a family reunion a few years ago. One of my grand nieces who was about 7 years old came over and asked me why I always carry a gun. I told it is because I take the responsibility of protecting my loved ones seriously. I later overheard her telling one of her cousins that I carry a gun because I love her. Definitely a proud great uncle moment.

rpyne

How is this "about the children"? What are you teaching the children by acting the way you do(open carry or concealed carry)?

By carrying openly and responsibly, you are teaching the children that guns do not need to be feared.

Most children perceive that things that are hidden are somehow evil or shameful.

Bernymac

By carrying openly and responsibly, you are teaching the children that guns do not need to be feared.

Most children perceive that things that are hidden are somehow evil or shameful.

This is the answer that the OP needs to reflect upon. The concern regarding "until the school shooting stops" is not logical. Kids freaking out over the sight of a gun is a conditioned response. Teach the children for they do not know. Your words and your action should match what they perceive.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
From WAGUNS:
"My mom says only police officers and bad guys carry guns"

"Ok so this morning my oldest and I got up at the crack of dawn, he's been asking me to take him fishing since spring, and last night I finally got him his own pole and I renewed my license. Went out to vancouver lake and spent the morning on the shore... We didn't have a single nibble... not one and we got there at 7 and where there until almost 11.... Next time I'm taking some "southern fishing equipment" when I go :bigsmile:.

So we get back to my house around 1130 and as my boy and I are unloading our stuff I thought I herd some one say something.... looked around didn't see nothing grabbed my backpack and heard "excuse me mister but can you please help me?"

I looked around still couldn't see nothing shut my door and standing down on the street just around the fence out of my field of view was a kid, idk, 14/15 somewhere in that ballpark, next to him on the ground was his bike the foot petal thingy(no I don't ride or own a bike so IDK what the heck its called) was laying on the ground.

"Mister I think I broke my bike, can you please help me fix it?" It was written all over his face that he was on the verge of crying.

I told him that I would be right back I had to run into my house and drop off my stuff and grab some tools and that I would be right back. Ran inside dropped off my gear and turned on the tv for hunter for a minute grabbed my tool kit and went back outside.

Walked over and took a look at the bike and realized there was a bolt that was ment to hold the petal thingy in place and it was missing... I looked up to ask if he sees it and we look for it... Cant find it but after about 30 seconds of looking I realize that he's looking more at me than he is the ground. I realized when be had spoken to me that he was a "special needs" child but we was fairly "normal" I guess you could say. Told him I may have some parts that may work and run into my garage and grabbed a bucket full of nuts and bolts I've been saving.

As I am walking out of my garage I realize he's staring at me and looks slightly scared shitless, I kneeled down next to his bike, and started going through the bucket trying to find one the right size and assured him I had one someplace. this is the conversation best I can remember the words, bout thirty seconds of quiet and:

"Are you a cop?"

"Nope, Im not, I work for the garbage company that makes sure the city stays clean, why do you ask?"

"You have a gun, mom says only police officers and bad guys carry guns"

Mental thought to myself was ****, 1911 is on my hip, and this kids probably never even seen a gun before other than on the tv.

"Well your mom is kind of right, police officers do carry guns and sometimes bad guys carry guns, but there are a lot of people who aren't cops or bad guys that carry guns too, like me and my friends."

"How do I know YOUR not a bad guy?"

"Well I guess you don't do you, but now I have a question for you."

"Ok."

"If I was a bad guy, would a bad guy fix a good guys bike?"

"I guess not."

"No, I don't think he would either."

Finally the right bolt!

"Why do you carry a gun?"

"I carry my gun to protect my family, they are the most important thing in the world to me, and I would do absolutely anything and everything I could do to protect them, no matter what."

He just smiled at me as I tightened the nut down.

"There you go bud, all fixed up and ready to go."

"Thank you mister, you are a good guy"
and he gave me a hug. and got on his bike, and rode off down the road waving and yelling out
"Good as new!"

It was the oddest yet coolest conversations I've ever had with someone regarding firearms. I still cant help but grin over it, I will always help a stranger if I can, but it was a heck of a lot more gratifying today for some reason... "

http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27417

sudden valley gunner

I had a very similar experience at a family reunion a few years ago. One of my grand nieces who was about 7 years old came over and asked me why I always carry a gun. I told it is because I take the responsibility of protecting my loved ones seriously. I later overheard her telling one of her cousins that I carry a gun because I love her. Definitely a proud great uncle moment.

Awesome!

180shabah

Very cool moment indeed...

moonie

I have 10 grandchildren (will be 11 in about 7 and a half months) and I have always open carried to all of their birthday parties. The last one I went to was the first time anything was ever said, several people were CC and wanted to talk guns after seeing mine. Nothing negative was said at all.

I've been open carrying for years, all my kids know I'll be carrying if I'm there, several of them do as well, although usually concealed, but not always.