• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Links to AZ gun law info.

FreeInAZ

http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=13
See section 31 for weapons violations.

Article that covers AZ Constitutional Carry by Mr. Alan Korwin, a noted author on the subject of Arizona gun laws.
http://www.gunlaws.com/ConstitutionalCarryEnacted.htm

SB-1108 passed in 2010, that made AZ Constitutional Carry possible. PDF file.
Amended ARS sections: 4-229, 13-3102, 13-3105 & 13-3112
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1108s.pdf

Handgunlaw.us Arizona gun laws . PDF file
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Last edited:

bomber

Can someone answer for me real quick, does Constitutional carry apply to out of state people? I'm headed to Phoenix for the weekend and want to know if I can legally carry under this law. Thanks

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Can someone answer for me real quick, does Constitutional carry apply to out of state people? I'm headed to Phoenix for the weekend and want to know if I can legally carry under this law. Thanks

Yes, only Wyoming has restricted it to residents-only.

Everyone over 21 that can legally possess can conceal in AZ, except where they serve alcohol (permit required to conceal where alcohol is served (concealment required and no drinking)).

Everyone over 18 that can legally possess can open carry, except where they serve alcohol.

Last edited:

bomber

Yes, only Wyoming has restricted it to residents-only.

Everyone over 21 that can legally possess can conceal in AZ, except where they serve alcohol (permit required to conceal where alcohol is served (concealment required and no drinking)).

Everyone over 18 that can legally possess can open carry, except where they serve alcohol.

Thanks.

You don't happen to have a link to the statute do you?

Also, what are Arizona's laws about carrying in a vehicle?

FreeInAZ

Thanks.

You don't happen to have a link to the statute do you?

Also, what are Arizona's laws about carrying in a vehicle?

Check out this page. This website has been very reliable and is updated at every change; it will give you the citation and link for each law it references.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

Yes check that link out - Mac was kind enough to type it in for you even though it was given above in the first post. ;) Just razzing you bomber - hope you enjoy the freedom AZ offers, maybe you can spread the idea in your home state. :D

Jeff Hayes

New to Arizona

OK I winter in Arizona, own a place, have Arizona ID and an Arizona permit as well as permits from 6 other states. I stopped in an out of the way place that served alcohol and food yesterday that had signs posted no firearms or weapons allowed, I was concealing normally I OC, I left the firearm in the car because I was unsure of the law. The signs did not meet the requirements of ARS 4-229. No sign with a red circle, not posted next to the liquor license and the signs did not say " "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229". The signs only said no firearms or weapons allowed, must have been 10 of them posted in a very small place. Would it have been lawful for me to carry and not consume alcohol?

Question #2 is does my firearm need to be unloaded if I leave it in my vehicle?

Thanks in advance

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Would it have been lawful for me to carry and not consume alcohol?

Question #2 is does my firearm need to be unloaded if I leave it in my vehicle?

Yes, and yes.

Leaving it loaded keeps you from handling it unnecessarily, and is the safer thing to do.

azcdlfred

You don't happen to have a link to the statute do you? Also, what are Arizona's laws about carrying in a vehicle?
I'm personally not a fan of sites that claim to have all current gun laws for all states and never look at them.

The statute for both your questions is ARS 13-3102, Arizona's weapons misconduct statute. You will not see anything that "grants" constitutional carry. What you will see is an absence of a requirement to have a government issued permission slip (CCW permit) to exercise your rights.

Until the passage of constitutional carry, a court decision said unless the gun was visible outside of the car (i.e., you drove around in a car made of clear glass) everyone inside the car had constructive possession of the gun and needed a CCW permit. That is no longer the case.

And....under Arizona law there is no difference between a loaded gun or unloaded gun.

By the way, an improperly worded or referenced "no gun" sign does not mean you don't have to comply.

Fred