• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily Gets Her Gun... But Obama Wants To Take Yours

Lasjayhawk

Emily Miller's new book will be in bookstores on Sept 3. She writes editorials for the Washington Times, and after an incident realized she might have to protect herself. She did NOT come from a gun family, so this was all new to her. I got my pre-ordered copy on Wednesday and read it that night.

The books first 16 chapters alternate between the story of her getting her gun and some of the politics that drive gun control. The last 6 are politics and an expansion of some of the horror stories of people who have run afoul of the DC gun laws. It is a very good read and I think an important book to support, and well worth the cost.

Maybe the best part is I think most people here will enjoy reading it, but it gets better. It is the perfect book for someone who thinks gun control can help, as it really drives home the point that gun control does nothing to prevent criminals to get a firearm, but can make it damn near impossible for a LAC to get one.

After she started her editorials, DC removed some of the roadblocks to getting a gun in DC. In dollar terms dropping it from $435 to $173. While it seems like $173 would be a little high to a government that thinks having an ID to vote is too much of a burden, it is a start.

FreeInAZ

Thanks for posting. +1. Not to get off topic, most citizens don't see the big picture. Gun control has never been about "criminal control". Criminals by their nature - never have, and never will obey the law.

It is about controlling law-abiding citizens. Far easier to control a defenseless citizen, than a well armed one. :(

emilymiller

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the support for "Emily Gets Her Gun." I hope people read it and understand how the public is being deliberately misled to accept all these new gun-control laws this year. You summarized perfectly the message I'm trying to get across-- that gun control does not make us safer, but just abridges the rights of the law abiding. I'm very grateful to you. -Emily

Emily Miller's new book will be in bookstores on Sept 3. She writes editorials for the Washington Times, and after an incident realized she might have to protect herself. She did NOT come from a gun family, so this was all new to her. I got my pre-ordered copy on Wednesday and read it that night.

The books first 16 chapters alternate between the story of her getting her gun and some of the politics that drive gun control. The last 6 are politics and an expansion of some of the horror stories of people who have run afoul of the DC gun laws. It is a very good read and I think an important book to support, and well worth the cost.

Maybe the best part is I think most people here will enjoy reading it, but it gets better. It is the perfect book for someone who thinks gun control can help, as it really drives home the point that gun control does nothing to prevent criminals to get a firearm, but can make it damn near impossible for a LAC to get one.

After she started her editorials, DC removed some of the roadblocks to getting a gun in DC. In dollar terms dropping it from $435 to $173. While it seems like $173 would be a little high to a government that thinks having an ID to vote is too much of a burden, it is a start.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you so much for the support for "Emily Gets Her Gun." I hope people read it and understand how the public is being deliberately misled to accept all these new gun-control laws this year. You summarized perfectly the message I'm trying to get across-- that gun control does not make us safer, but just abridges the rights of the law abiding. I'm very grateful to you. -Emily

Emily, a hearty huge welcome to OCDO - arguably the best forum anywhere supporting and promoting the right to open carry.

You are well known to many Virginians, who faithfully followed your articles, suffered with you through every step of the way, and rejoiced at your triumphs. Many of us also kept up to date through the VCDL Va-Alerts and meetings. Many (most?) of the posters in the Virginia sub-forum are also VCDL members - you have many supporters and admirers there. [url]http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?130-Virginia
[/URL]
Please give us a link to order your book.

Last edited:

eye95

Welcome. Put a link to your book in the thread (or in an ad on the site), and I'll click it. Is there an ebook version?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Lasjayhawk

It's also on Barnes and Noble, they were mailing them out last week, and in theory would be on the shelves tomorrow.

Signed copies sold out last week... But I got mine ;)

Eye, it's on iBooks if you search "Emily Gets Her Gun" Ignore the other books by this author, I am fairly sure if she had written a book on Gynecology or painting with watercolors someone would know. :lol:

IMHO: This book is important. It lays out for the people that think gun control will help that all it does is prevent the LAC who may find themselves needing a gun from getting one. And she does it in a way that will make people who would think that a little more gun control would be ok think, "I'm shooting myself in the foot" Maybe not now, but if I ever needed a gun I might not be able to get it.

And she makes it clear that carry in DC is her next mission.

papa bear

welcome to the forum Ms. Miller, i hope this doesn't feel to much like work. but i hope you do come to see us often

TFred

Welcome to the forum!

When the excitement for this first book starts to die down a little, suggest you start researching the history of the matter. First book does a great job covering the current status and politics, but another best selling, well-researched book focusing on the horrific racist roots of gun control from a prominent author such as yourself might just attract enough attention to start a change from another direction.

V/R,

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to the forum!

When the excitement for this first book starts to die down a little, suggest you start researching the history of the matter. First book does a great job covering the current status and politics, but another best selling, well-researched book focusing on the horrific racist roots of gun control from a prominent author such as yourself might just attract enough attention to start a change from another direction.

V/R,

TFred

As I understand it, having taken a bite out of the apple (finally able to own a gun) now she wants to see the whole basket of fruit (legal carry in D.C.) available to the people - the LAC of our nation's capital hungar for it, deserve it and Emily means to see that they enjoy the RKBA fully. She is on a quest, but has only begun me thinks.

TFred

As I understand it, having taken a bite out of the apple (finally able to own a gun) now she wants to see the whole basket of fruit (legal carry in D.C.) available to the people - the LAC of our nation's capital hungar for it, deserve it and Emily means to see that they enjoy the RKBA fully. She is on a quest, but has only begun me thinks.
Sounds good. I have always believed that the more people know about the origins of gun control, the less palatable it will be on any platform.

Time will tell, I suppose.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks, GS. I was trying to get her to post again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
Again? You must be allergic to search engines.
David, you obviously did not read the complete thread before offering your erronious conclusion.

He had already answered that per the top quote above - he was enticing/inviting her to become active on the site.

eye95

David, you obviously did not read the complete thread before offering your erronious conclusion.

He had already answered that per the top quote above - he was enticing/inviting her to become active on the site.

I care little about what he has to say. I only bother to correct him when I feel he has posted dangerously erroneous information. Oh, and I feel the need to alert others of his constant (and unsubstantiated) bluster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>