• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaska's 'stand your ground' law to go into effect in September

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_b38db37e-f75b-11e2-8575-001a4bcf6878.html

Despite the doom-crying by the NAACP, I predict the effect of this law will be...exactly zero...with one exception. A person who uses deadly force in self-defense won't be second-guessed in court as to whether he/she could have retreated. These things happen in a split second and an option that's apparent in the cold light of after-action analysis may not be apparent to a person whose life is in immediate danger. That's the real reason for this law. Reasonable people retreat if possible when threatened and unreasonable people do unreasonable things. No law will change that. This just relieves a reasonable person of legal risk from Monday morning quarterbacking.

DWCook

Activist Member
This will be interesting when this law comes into play, considering the party against it. This can be a good law, but this can also be a bad one. Good is now people won't have to second or question if they're legally allowed to defend themselves with a firearm without thinking about the law bouncing back against them. On the other hand, it can cause unnecessary action for people who abuse this new law.