• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry legal in Georgia

Ohio

I have Ohio CCW permit and HATE the anti-gun laws in Georgia and the fact they do not recognize Ohio permit. I had a situation (or one that could have become one) while traveling through Georgia, but had to leave gun in car. I was approached by a shady individual asking for money at a gas station. It has happened several times in the past, but this time it did not appear to look like someone poor/homeless guy, which bothered me even more. Red flags went up, but the guy walked away (after asking twice for money) and all was good. I saw a video recently ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkv_lyBsA2M Can anyone confirm this for an out-of-stater?

mark5019

the laws here are great

why dosnt ohio reconize our license do you have mandated training? or other infringements?

eye95

Ohio requires 12 hours of training. They don't reciprocate with States that don't have that requirement. My Alabama license is no good in Ohio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Fallschirjmäger

To put it in the most polite and succinct terms I can....Cory needs to take another look at the Code and get a better understanding of the law.

To paraphrase OCGA 16-11-126:
(a) You don't need a license (GWCL) on your property, in your home or vehicle, or your place of business
(b) You don't need a GWCL to carry a long gun, but if it's loaded you can't conceal it.
(c) You don't need a GWCL if the pistol is unloaded and encased.
(d) You don't need a GWCL to carry in anyone else's vehicle, but they can legally tell you not to.
(e) If you have a license that Georgia recognizes, you can carry if you obey all the Georgia laws.
(f) If you're legally hunting or fishing, you can carry without a GWCL while you are hunting or fishing. Or engaged in sport shooting.
(g) If you have a GWCL you can carry in parks, recreational areas, and public transportation except where prohibited by federal law. (You can legally carry on MARTA, but you can't legally carry past the secure areas at Atlanta International Airport to carry on Delta.)

I'd probably add that you don't need a GWCL if you are exempted by 16-11-130, (police officers, county prosecutors, judges, jailers, soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines, etc.)

Last edited:

Ohio

eye95 thank you for answering mark5019's question, which is a good response to me...I wish all states got along with respect to the permits. Heck I wish all states would allow all forms of carry without a permit. Fallschirmjäger, thank you for posting that. I went back and rewatched that video and read the new comments posted that are rightfully hounding Cory as spreading innacurate info IS bad. Again thanks guys!

papa bear

sorry guys i know this is an old one, but i don't think the question was answered.

is open carry legal in GA?

i would like to know. thanks

REDFIVE48

sorry guys i know this is an old one, but i don't think the question was answered.

I believe the answer is YES, but you must have a permit (either Georgia Carry License or a license from a state they recognize). The permit allows for either Open or Concealed carry.

rmodel65

swing by PA next time youre close and apply(have to do it in person now) for a LTCF its like 25$ and will get you Georgia

Fallschirjmäger

gflrmap.png

Georgia recognizes ALL permits that recognize the Georgia permit; if a state is marked in red it's because that State does not recognize the Georgia permit.

Last edited:

cmr287

it absolutely is . all you need is a firearms permit most people call concealed carry weapons permit ... it's actually called a permit to carry .. go down to your local probate court and file the paperwork and pay your money . Georgia is a shall issue state !!!!!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Malum Prohibitum

papa bear, Georgia does not have carrying "openly" or "concealed." The license is just a license to carry, and how you do it, openly or concealed is up to you. In addition, your North Carolina license is good here to carry.

Kingfish

it absolutely is . all you need is a firearms permit most people call concealed carry weapons permit ... it's actually called a permit to carry .. go down to your local probate court and file the paperwork and pay your money . Georgia is a shall issue state !!!!!!
A minor correction. In Georgia it is called a "Georgia Weapons Carry Licence" OR "Georgia Weapons Licence".

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Georgia requies a permit to carry a handgun. Open or Cocnealed is at your discretion.

No permit is needed for long guns. If you've got balls enough to be "that guy" for the constitution, join me someday... ;-)

I roll up to Valdosta with my RFB from time to time. Mostly to play Ingress downtown. Only Denny's has ever given me lip about it, so I don't go there anymore. Sometiems I only go as far as Sonny's in Lake Park.

solus

Well since there’s no “I OC’d here” in GA thread, thought I might resurrect this one:

Roam’g the Warner Robins area and OC’d at the local IHOb this morning, Academy Sports, and this evening saw a mature gentleman outside the frozen yogurt shop OC’g a chrome 45, at which point I stopped and said thanks and mentioned this august site.

All in all a good day in the peach state!

ADulay

I have always open carried while in Georgia with zero problems.

Only had one motel clerk ask me about it on check-in but other than that, never had any problems at all.

AD

solus

Participated in a range exercise 0700 > 1630 Saturday and the range boss (their term) was OC’g and I mentioned it was good to see them OC’g and I was told they are mandated to OC while on the range and they only CC when they are out and about as this is the ONLY method which is the most advantageous method to defend themselves.

I just smiled condescendingly and said OK!

Sunday, OC’d to hamburger shop for a bit to eat and a major orchard business front and purchased 5 bushels of peaches for canning purposes.

Excellent crop I am told.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Sunday, OC’d to hamburger shop for a bit to eat and a major orchard business front and purchased 5 bushels of peaches for canning purposes.

Excellent crop I am told.
I remember my grandmother's peach preserves, especially the spiced peaches.
icon14.png