• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

BigAlFish50

Applied Feb 4, 2014 in Monroe CT

So this coming Tuesday is going to be seven weeks since I was finger printed and submitted my paperwork to the PD... I've been monitoring this thread a little bit in anticipation, and I've been checking the mailbox every night when I come home like Ralphie waiting for his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring... What is the suggested next step? Should I call the PD, or call the infamous Louise first? I gotta say, I feel a little apprehensive about calling like it's going to send my paperwork further down the stack or in the round file cabinet under the desk. What is the procedure when I get a hold of Louise? Am I following up on a background check? Finger printing? I'm sure that she gets these calls all the time, and I should stop being a little flower and just call... The last number I saw in these posts was from like a year ago... Might anyone have the updated info?

Thanks for your help... My first post... Hoping to get this done within the 8 week time-frame.

Rich B

So Rich,

I'm confused because on Ctcarry.com it even states that the local authority has up until 8 weeks to make a decision, so don't I need to give them that much time before hounding them for an answer as to where my permit is, provided that I haven't heard/received anything by then?

E

When discussing a website, it is good etiquette to link to that site for reference.

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline

As I said previously, 5 days, 1 week. They do not have 8 weeks. The statutes are there as well on http://cga.ct.gov

Rich B

So this coming Tuesday is going to be seven weeks since I was finger printed and submitted my paperwork to the PD... I've been monitoring this thread a little bit in anticipation, and I've been checking the mailbox every night when I come home like Ralphie waiting for his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring... What is the suggested next step? Should I call the PD, or call the infamous Louise first? I gotta say, I feel a little apprehensive about calling like it's going to send my paperwork further down the stack or in the round file cabinet under the desk. What is the procedure when I get a hold of Louise? Am I following up on a background check? Finger printing? I'm sure that she gets these calls all the time, and I should stop being a little flower and just call... The last number I saw in these posts was from like a year ago... Might anyone have the updated info?

Thanks for your help... My first post... Hoping to get this done within the 8 week time-frame.

Get your dates, just like this thread discusses.

ctcoop3690

When discussing a website, it is good etiquette to link to that site for reference.

http://ctcarry.com/Permits/Timeline

As I said previously, 5 days, 1 week. They do not have 8 weeks. The statutes are there as well on http://cga.ct.gov

http://ctcarry.com/PermitDelays/Background

And this is the website you have on your emblem. It does make mention of the 5 days and 1 week but section (b) refers to a 8 week period in which the local authorities must inform an applicant of a decision so I'm wondering if you can explain this?

E

Nate10

Just wanted to add to this with regard to Milford. I posted a while back that I would update the board with my application as I do think sharing this type of information is helpful for many people. I submitted my app and got fingerprinted at the Milford PD on Dec. 26th, 2013. Nothing yet. Since it seems the Milford PD got your info sometime in early Feb., I wonder if they also got mine (I applied about a week after you). I will give the SPBI a call tomorrow and post an update here.

Update. I did call the SPBI on the morning of the 19th and they confirmed my info was sent to the Milford PD. I then called the MPD and an officer confirmed they have my info and it's on the chief's desk "ready to be signed." Now all of this begs the question how long has it been sitting there? Well it's now 6 days later and still nothing in the mail for me.

I asked a few gun owners I know and one told me he ran into a similar situation in his town. Called to confirm the PD had his info back, officer said chief needs to sign it, and then he finally got the permit...6 weeks later for a total of almost 20 weeks from the day he applied.

Rich B

Update. I did call the SPBI on the morning of the 19th and they confirmed my info was sent to the Milford PD. I then called the MPD and an officer confirmed they have my info and it's on the chief's desk "ready to be signed." Now all of this begs the question how long has it been sitting there? Well it's now 6 days later and still nothing in the mail for me.

I asked a few gun owners I know and one told me he ran into a similar situation in his town. Called to confirm the PD had his info back, officer said chief needs to sign it, and then he finally got the permit...6 weeks later for a total of almost 20 weeks from the day he applied.

Did you advise the PD that they have '1 week' according to state law and that expect them to follow the law?

BigAlFish50

Submitted In Monroe CT Feb 4th

Get your dates, just like this thread discusses.

So, I finally got a call back from Louise... She said that they received my paperwork from the PD on March 13th!! Five weeks after I submitted my paperwork... She said that it will take at least three more weeks for them to process it... However that they have eight weeks to send it back. I politely said to her that the entire process is supposed to only take eight weeks total, to which she replied that their clock starts when they receive the paperwork... which for my paperwork it was two weeks ago. The PD kept on sending my calls to the officer who is in charge of permits (which always goes to voice mail) and he is yet to return any of my calls.

Very frustrating. Thoughts?

Rich B

So, I finally got a call back from Louise... She said that they received my paperwork from the PD on March 13th!! Five weeks after I submitted my paperwork... She said that it will take at least three more weeks for them to process it... However that they have eight weeks to send it back. I politely said to her that the entire process is supposed to only take eight weeks total, to which she replied that their clock starts when they receive the paperwork... which for my paperwork it was two weeks ago. The PD kept on sending my calls to the officer who is in charge of permits (which always goes to voice mail) and he is yet to return any of my calls.

Very frustrating. Thoughts?

The PD had 5 days to get your prints to SPBI. You have cause to appeal for a denial at this point.

Certainly a call to your police chief/selectman asking why they refuse to obey the law is in order.

BigAlFish50

The PD had 5 days to get your prints to SPBI. You have cause to appeal for a denial at this point.

Certainly a call to your police chief/selectman asking why they refuse to obey the law is in order.

What does filling out this form and sending it in do for me? (and others that experience the same thing)

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=458262

Should I be contacting Louise and the officer who's voice mail I keep getting sent to and let them know that the eight weeks are up and that I'm going to be appealing?

Does this create a sense of urgency for them to process my request? Merely make yourself stand out as a PITA? I cannot see how a call to the local police chief asking him why they're breaking the law is going to benefit my situation... Even with Louise, I didn't feel prepared to ask the necessary questions or have any actual responses that would help to get my paperwork advanced any sooner... Is there anything I can do to speed up the process on the state side seeing that's currently where the paperwork is?

Rich B

What does filling out this form and sending it in do for me? (and others that experience the same thing)

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1253&Q=458262

Should I be contacting Louise and the officer who's voice mail I keep getting sent to and let them know that the eight weeks are up and that I'm going to be appealing?

Does this create a sense of urgency for them to process my request? Merely make yourself stand out as a PITA? I cannot see how a call to the local police chief asking him why they're breaking the law is going to benefit my situation... Even with Louise, I didn't feel prepared to ask the necessary questions or have any actual responses that would help to get my paperwork advanced any sooner... Is there anything I can do to speed up the process on the state side seeing that's currently where the paperwork is?

If you want to appeal, you need to submit the letter and questionnaire. I would suggest contacting the PD/town instead like I advised first.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you want to appeal, you need to submit the letter and questionnaire. I would suggest contacting the PD/town instead like I advised first.

I was at BFPE yesterday discussing the placing of cases on the docket ... as filed or when questionnaire is completed ... seems like they do not put one on the roster until the questionnaire is completed.

I also asked about the mandatory questions on the questionnaire and the BFPE said that one can object to any questions and submit the form with objections. Many of the questions are not mandatory to answer as I objected to many of the queries and won on most points...I resubmitted an amended questionnaire response and the case moved forward (I only answered a few questions that I was ordered to answer if the case was to move forward).

If the poster wants to learn more, he can PM me about the questionnaire. He can cite my case if he wants ... I still have the order from the commission.

Also, it looks like the BFPE now only calls the case numbers at their hearings (yes, its retarded) ... and now, due to a complaint I filed, the commissioners BFPE agendas are now the same as everyone else's (at least what I was told ~ I'll find out later)..previously the BFPE would issue out 2 agendas ~ one for commissioners and one for the public ~ I argued that this violates the open meeting requirements of the FOI Act. Case is pending....

Last edited:

Nate10

Just wanted to add to this with regard to Milford. I posted a while back that I would update the board with my application as I do think sharing this type of information is helpful for many people. I submitted my app and got fingerprinted at the Milford PD on Dec. 26th, 2013. Nothing yet. Since it seems the Milford PD got your info sometime in early Feb., I wonder if they also got mine (I applied about a week after you). I will give the SPBI a call tomorrow and post an update here.

Update. I followed up with the SPBI on Friday, March 28th, to get a final confirmation on when the MPD received my info. Delivery confirmed on Feb. 7th. I then contacted the MPD again and spoke to the same officer I spoke to on March 19th. He checked once again, and said my application was still on the chief's desk. I asked when can I expect him to sign it, to which the replied with a story about how busy the chief is and how he is not in the position of telling the chief what to do.

At this point, I feel an appeal is in order to bring some attention to the substantial delay and disregard for the law pertaining to the permitting process.

Rich B. is correct that applicants should proactively follow up with the SPBI and local issuing authority to ensure the process is staying on track, or at the very least you will be creating an evidence trail of your efforts. The reason I did not follow up earlier is because I have been very busy with work and genuinely did not think the process would be delayed to the extent it has been.

For the record, in case some who read this think there may be a bona fide reason my particular application may require additional review, I am a CT licensed a attorney with absolutely no criminal history, an extremely clean driving record, and no history of malpractice. Not to mention I have multiple family members who are police officers. In short, there is categorically no reasoning which would support a theory of "additional review" with regard to suitability. Moreover, assuming arguendo that there was a reason, I was not noticed of the delay within the 8 week window.

Rich B

For the record, in case some who read this think there may be a bona fide reason my particular application may require additional review, I am a CT licensed a attorney with absolutely no criminal history, an extremely clean driving record, and no history of malpractice. Not to mention I have multiple family members who are police officers. In short, there is categorically no reasoning which would support a theory of "additional review" with regard to suitability. Moreover, assuming arguendo that there was a reason, I was not noticed of the delay within the 8 week window.

They are not reviewing anything. They are just sitting on it. In plain violation of the law.

Schedule an appointment with the chief and discuss with him what the hold up is and why he is violating the law.

ZenChee

Just thought I would share my current trip thru the Milford Permitting process. First I want to put it out there that the officers I have delt with have been great. Very professional and extremely nice. But, the process is taking a really long time.

Permit submitted on Dec 17th 2013, As of today it has been nearly 13weeks, or 87 days. I just called Milford PD and was told they still had not gotten my FBI Background check back. I do appreciate the fact that they are very easy to work with but this amount of time to get a permit is completely unacceptable. I can mail in my FL permit paperwork ad get it back faster, that is just not right.

Just thought I would update this, I received my Temp permit at 109 days from submission. I honestly think it would have taken longer had I not followed the suggestion to call and track down my paperwork. All that stated, the Milford PD were easy to work with, it just took some time.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just thought I would update this, I received my Temp permit at 109 days from submission. I honestly think it would have taken longer had I not followed the suggestion to call and track down my paperwork. All that stated, the Milford PD were easy to work with, it just took some time.

Your town should pay you for all your work .. or, their work.

109 days? Outrageous. Should be w/i 24 hrs or not even needed (permission slips, blah!)

Last edited:

boatdoc

frustrated

HI guys

I am new here and saw this posting pertaining to getting a pistol permit in CT. I live in Milford and have been treated respectfully BUT I have found out that the FBI and state did my background check in early April-- I submitted my app in early March 2014. Like the others above I am being put off. the story NOW is that ONE guy in Hartford is the one who reviews all the apps-- he had 90 from Milford alone last month-- really? ONE GUY for ALL the apps--hard to believe

I would file an appeal BUT what good will it do? I am being told the wait is 3-4 months now--and there is nothing I can do to fix that

doe s anyone know-- since the long rifle apps started-- did it delay your processing? how long did you wait in MIlford,ct to get the temp permit? if you are denied-- do they let you know rapidly vs making you wait with those who were approved( I doubt I was denied but I have a very very common name and I hope I wa snot mistaken for anyone else)

I do not want to piss off the MPD--they could just los e my info and I would have to reapply--a real PIA-- had to take a day off to apply in the first place

any info would be appreciated

stay safe shoot accurately :question:

Rob

Rich B

Milford does not have someone in Hartford reviewing applications. That is absurd.

You need to contact the chief there, schedule an appointment and ask him why they are violating the CGS. They had one week to issue or deny your permit when they got the FBI report back.

The BFPE wait is about 2 years at this point and the long gun eligibility certificates are processed by the state, not the town. Where are you getting your information about these processes?

Last edited:

boatdoc

Milford does not have someone in Hartford reviewing applications. That is absurd.

You need to contact the chief there, schedule an appointment and ask him why they are violating the CGS. They had one week to issue or deny your permit when they got the FBI report back.

The BFPE wait is about 2 years at this point and the long gun eligibility certificates are processed by the state, not the town. Where are you getting your information about these processes?

HI Rich

thanks for the reply--the info came from a MPD officer--he state d that the "guy" in Hartford is in charge of reviewing and approving all gun buying and pistol permit apps and since we now have long gun apps filed to just buy a rifle--it made the delays over 3-4 months-- I found this odd-- I know about the fbi and state performing their background check. I did not know there wa s anything more for them to do for approval as we are a "shall issue;" state and i do not know of any reason for a denial(had one breach of peace dismissed 8 years ago)

my concern is that ******* off the MPD will c aus e my app to be denie d or "lost"

rob:(