• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

CT Barfly

all this talk about lies is a bit overblown.

if you take the time to learn how the process works, and to learn the statute, nobody will be able to lie to you. i've had quite a bit of success getting people their permits without the need for lengthy appeals and shenanigans. lots of folks at DESPP are just doing their jobs the best they can. remember, the applications they process are anonymous as far as they're concerned. they don't know which of you is in a hurry or not, they don't know (or care) that you're on OCDO complaining.

they're not an army of anti-2A government drones. they're pushing paper, and paperwork isn't always a top priority when they have to deal with more time-sensitive items which may originate internally or externally. the folks at DESPP have to process much more than pistol permits...they have to deal with background checks for people to get employment...a MUCH more pressing need for those people waiting to start a new job. try to have some understanding. i'm not saying wait 6 months, but certainly don't get upset when they take the full statutory time.

if you mind your calendar and act with firmness but understanding, you're far more likely to get what you want done on time. if you call before certain milestones/events happen, in order to remind them of the ticking clock, you'll encourage them to pull your file and pass it on to the next entity.

save the anger for when you've got a real beef and have to drag them into court.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
all this talk about lies is a bit overblown.

if you take the time to learn how the process works, and to learn the statute, nobody will be able to lie to you. i've had quite a bit of success getting people their permits without the need for lengthy appeals and shenanigans. lots of folks at DESPP are just doing their jobs the best they can. remember, the applications they process are anonymous as far as they're concerned. they don't know which of you is in a hurry or not, they don't know (or care) that you're on OCDO complaining.

they're not an army of anti-2A government drones. they're pushing paper, and paperwork isn't always a top priority when they have to deal with more time-sensitive items which may originate internally or externally. the folks at DESPP have to process much more than pistol permits...they have to deal with background checks for people to get employment...a MUCH more pressing need for those people waiting to start a new job. try to have some understanding. i'm not saying wait 6 months, but certainly don't get upset when they take the full statutory time.

if you mind your calendar and act with firmness but understanding, you're far more likely to get what you want done on time. if you call before certain milestones/events happen, in order to remind them of the ticking clock, you'll encourage them to pull your file and pass it on to the next entity.

save the anger for when you've got a real beef and have to drag them into court.

I have yet to speak to one that tells the truth ... perhaps you should know that its based on my experience .. which is significant. Hardly anger..just letting folks know not to take what a DESPP employee says as gospel.

Rich B

Hi I am new to the site and was hoping to get help with a question regarding my Hamden pistol permit application. I had dropped the application off on Dec 29th 2013 and have not heard anything yet. I stopped by the pd yesterday to ask about the status and they said it was not there that the fingerprints must have been sent to the state police and it usually takes about 10 weeks total. Has anyone experienced this from Hamden. Thanks

Info@ctcarry.com

jjw

Hey guys just got a call from Stamford PD that my temp permit is signed and can be picked up at the end of the week. That was 6 weeks and 1 day for Stamford.

ZenChee

Milford Permit process

Just thought I would share my current trip thru the Milford Permitting process. First I want to put it out there that the officers I have delt with have been great. Very professional and extremely nice. But, the process is taking a really long time.

Permit submitted on Dec 17th 2013, As of today it has been nearly 13weeks, or 87 days. I just called Milford PD and was told they still had not gotten my FBI Background check back. I do appreciate the fact that they are very easy to work with but this amount of time to get a permit is completely unacceptable. I can mail in my FL permit paperwork ad get it back faster, that is just not right.

ZenChee

Did you confirm this with the state (SPBI)?

I just called the SPBI, The lady I spoke to again was very friendly and professional. I was told my info had been emailed to Milord PD on Feb 6th. When I called the PD back they said they did not have any email about me. Then I was told he would pull my file and see what he could do for me. I have a feeling he found the email while I was talking to him. surprisingly I am not mad, I just want my permit. But I will say I was apprehensive about this process but everyone I have delt with has been very easy to work with. Now lets see how much longer it takes :rolleyes:

CT Barfly

I just called the SPBI, The lady I spoke to again was very friendly and professional. I was told my info had been emailed to Milord PD on Feb 6th. When I called the PD back they said they did not have any email about me. Then I was told he would pull my file and see what he could do for me. I have a feeling he found the email while I was talking to him. surprisingly I am not mad, I just want my permit. But I will say I was apprehensive about this process but everyone I have delt with has been very easy to work with. Now lets see how much longer it takes :rolleyes:

You don't have to wait any longer, so don't. Milford PD had a week to make a decision after receiving your info from the SPBI...this is CT Statute. Milford PD is just being lazy and/or just plain not wanting to give you your permit.

Email the Chief and copy the officer you spoke with. Just ask them to kindly make a decision as they are already a month overdue.

The reason they are being "nice" to you is that they are in violation of statute with no excuse (such as a need for more info).

They may hem/haw about "why you're in a rush" but you aren't in a rush, you are entitled to a decision by statute and there's no two ways about it.

Last edited:

Rich B

So then they lied to you. They have a week to issue or deny. Don't give them an inch.

Nate10

Just thought I would share my current trip thru the Milford Permitting process. First I want to put it out there that the officers I have delt with have been great. Very professional and extremely nice. But, the process is taking a really long time.

Permit submitted on Dec 17th 2013, As of today it has been nearly 13weeks, or 87 days. I just called Milford PD and was told they still had not gotten my FBI Background check back. I do appreciate the fact that they are very easy to work with but this amount of time to get a permit is completely unacceptable. I can mail in my FL permit paperwork ad get it back faster, that is just not right.

Just wanted to add to this with regard to Milford. I posted a while back that I would update the board with my application as I do think sharing this type of information is helpful for many people. I submitted my app and got fingerprinted at the Milford PD on Dec. 26th, 2013. Nothing yet. Since it seems the Milford PD got your info sometime in early Feb., I wonder if they also got mine (I applied about a week after you). I will give the SPBI a call tomorrow and post an update here.

Last edited:

Rich B

Just wanted to add to this with regard to Milford. I posted a while back that I would update the board with my application as I do think sharing this type of information is helpful for many people. I submitted my app and got fingerprinted at the Milford PD on Dec. 26th, 2013. Nothing yet. Since it seems the Milford PD got your info sometime in early Feb., I wonder if they also got mine (I applied about a week after you). I will give the SPBI a call tomorrow and post an update here.

You should have been checking with SPBI since January...

JeepinMaxx

I guess it all depends on the town. One of my students from Columbia just received her permit. It took only 24 days (just over 3 weeks) from the day she submitted the application to receiving her permit. Another student from Bolton also had a 3 week turn around. Two students from Willimantic just received theirs after 4 weeks (when they applied they were told 6 weeks).

Rich B

I guess it all depends on the town. One of my students from Columbia just received her permit. It took only 24 days (just over 3 weeks) from the day she submitted the application to receiving her permit. Another student from Bolton also had a 3 week turn around. Two students from Willimantic just received theirs after 4 weeks (when they applied they were told 6 weeks).

Of course. Nothing has changed. The IAFIS check takes a maximum of an hour and a half to be returned. That is all a town needs to issue.

ctcoop3690

Just applied on 3/18 in Greenwich, any idea on the wait?

Hey Guys, first time poster. 24 year old male in Greenwich. Just submitted my application and prints on Tuesday the 18th. Woman at the GPD (didn't get her name) told me it was taking 12-16 weeks. Any idea how long I should expect to wait? If they tell me up front 12-16, should I still call in and ask what's taking so long when the 8 week mark comes up if I still haven't gotten anything in the mail? Hoping to get an idea of when I should expect my temp permit. As of now from their math I'm not expecting anything till the last week of May/First week of June. Thanks guys.

E

Rich B

Hey Guys, first time poster. 24 year old male in Greenwich. Just submitted my application and prints on Tuesday the 18th. Woman at the GPD (didn't get her name) told me it was taking 12-16 weeks. Any idea how long I should expect to wait? If they tell me up front 12-16, should I still call in and ask what's taking so long when the 8 week mark comes up if I still haven't gotten anything in the mail? Hoping to get an idea of when I should expect my temp permit. As of now from their math I'm not expecting anything till the last week of May/First week of June. Thanks guys.

E

The deadlines are 5 days to send your fingerprints to SPBI. One week to issue or deny when they have the IAFIS check back. The IAFIS check itself takes an hour. SPBI's processing time can vary.

Everything else is meaningless. Do not wait until 8 weeks. That is bad advice given by people and organizations that refuse to read the law.

Follow up with the PD and SPBI regularly and get your dates.

Last edited:

ctcoop3690

Rich, and I see that you're a consistent poster on the forum, what does that exactly do for me? If it says on the CT gov website that I should wait a certain amount of time, where are they getting that time from? Just screwing with us? I mean my LGS guy told me that for Greenwich it probably will take around 12 weeks with how slow they've been going. Is it simply a case of being persistent until they move me to the top of the list? I just want to be well informed for when I should call and what I should base my case on so I can get my permit sooner than later as this process does take a while. I'm not new to firearms but new to the pistol permit and just want to be smart about the process. Thanks. And if anyone actually from Greenwich has recently applied, chime in with your experience.

E

Last edited:

ctcoop3690

The deadlines are 5 days to send your fingerprints to SPBI. One week to issue or deny when they have the IAFIS check back. The IAFIS check itself takes an hour. SPBI's processing time can vary.

Everything else is meaningless. Do not wait until 8 weeks. That is bad advice given by people and organizations that refuse to read the law.

Follow up with the PD and SPBI regularly and get your dates.

So Rich,

I'm confused because on Ctcarry.com it even states that the local authority has up until 8 weeks to make a decision, so don't I need to give them that much time before hounding them for an answer as to where my permit is, provided that I haven't heard/received anything by then?

E