• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

davidmcbeth

Banned
One can object to pretty much anything. Yes, noncompliance and challenge is always an option. That's a true statement if ever there was one but it doesn't launder your position or make your post(s) relevant or useful to the advice-seeker.

Personally, I object to your failure to comprehend my posts.

The guy is having issues w/his fingerprinting ... so if he has no objection to the fingerprinting then he must repeat repeat repeat the fingerprinting process until its done to the satisfaction of the authorities.

If he now has an objection to the fingerprinting process, he can refuse and say "this is my application". Get denied, and then appeal and he has preserved his objection.

No idea if the board would see his objection as having merit since he already submitted to fingerprinting but I guess one can always change their mind..

Just letting people know their options ~ isn't that the point of the forum?

cmdrshepard

To update, I spoke with the fingerprint department in Middletown. They were able to verify in their system that they had in fact rejected my prints twice (matching Shelton's story).

The woman I spoke with also told me in no uncertain terms that people in this thread are misinforming me (the Darien guy, and the guy a few posts ago) who said they were able to have prints electronically verified by the state in minutes. She says the process is NEVER that fast regardless of the print method, and that "somebody is misinforming" me. Clearly somebody is misinformed, and it's probably not the people in this topic (they'd have no rational reason to troll the forum by making things up like that).

She said if I get a copy of the rejection letter from Shelton, I can take that up to Middletown and they could print me (at a cost), approve the prints, and send them back to Shelton so that the rest of the process could proceed. She said if I could NOT get that rejection letter, if I got fingerprinted in Middletown, they'd have to mail the prints to Shelton, then have Shelton turn around and mail them right back to Middletown for approval. She said the reason for this is that Shelton has all my permit information, and only the prints go to Middletown, and nothing else like background check or anything proceeds until after a "complete" application including accepted fingerprints exists.

This is turning into a massive headache. It sounds like whether I go to Middletown or Shelton, I'm in for a possibly lengthy wait yet again. Not sure what I want to do at this point. They have me close to the point of questioning whether this enormous hassle is even worth the effort. And that's probably exactly what they want ("they" being whomever put into place such a complicated process), to discourage applicants.

As for the side argument, I absolutely think it's absurd for prints to be required for this. They can tell right off the bat that I'm not a felon, and don't have a criminal record of any kind. I passed a background check a few years ago while buying a long gun. That didn't require fingerprints. I "submitted" to the prints because it's the only way to get a handgun permit in the state, rightfully or wrongfully. I highly doubt I could "appeal" the need for prints with any success.

cmdrshepard

Just spoke with a guy at work who is an NRA instructor, and also has an FFL.

He says it's at the local PD's discretion to issue the temporary permit (someone earlier in this topic might have alluded to this), and they could do so without fingerprints (and even without a background check, though I doubt in practice if that would ever happen). He thinks my best bet may be to go straight to the chief and plead my case so to speak. If that "works," in theory I could have my 60 day permit VERY quickly.

heckle

cmdrshepard - Not sure where you are located but, you may want to consider having your fingerprints done digitally. I just had mine done for my Utah permit. I went to the Manchester PD when they were doing them. Process was simple and the software they use checks to make sure the print is acceptable before continuing. Just an option.

http://www.bioidentserv.com/web/ind...a5033e8594bc=9a4ee97af219be438c330acbaffde595

Bhahct1

No called Louise today and left a message. No response yet. I also called the fingerprint unit and they told me they couldn't release any information to me and that I should give it up to 16 weeks to receive my permit. To my understanding that's completely false and 8 weeks should be the maximum. I'm only at a wait time of a little over a month so far. I'm just trying to figure out all my dates now so when the 8 week mark comes I know when they received my prints and I have all my information collected.

CT Barfly

No called Louise today and left a message. No response yet. I also called the fingerprint unit and they told me they couldn't release any information to me and that I should give it up to 16 weeks to receive my permit. To my understanding that's completely false and 8 weeks should be the maximum. I'm only at a wait time of a little over a month so far. I'm just trying to figure out all my dates now so when the 8 week mark comes I know when they received my prints and I have all my information collected.

Your town should be able to tell you the date they forwarded your application/prints to the State...they are required by law to record the date of your fingerprinting and your application is supposed to be forwarded to the state within five days of that date. CGS 29-29(b). Call your town.

Send me a PM for more info.

Bhahct1

Your town should be able to tell you the date they forwarded your application/prints to the State...they are required by law to record the date of your fingerprinting and your application is supposed to be forwarded to the state within five days of that date. CGS 29-29(b). Call your town.

Send me a PM for more info.

Thanks for the quick reply. I called Louise again and she told me they received my prints jan 8th. I handed my app in on January 6th. She said according to how busy they are currently I should expect them shipped back to ehpd by the end of next week. So hopefully I'll have it by the end of the month.

CT Barfly

Thanks for the quick reply. I called Louise again and she told me they received my prints jan 8th. I handed my app in on January 6th. She said according to how busy they are currently I should expect them shipped back to ehpd by the end of next week. So hopefully I'll have it by the end of the month.

here's hoping.

Rich B

Appeal at any violation of the deadlines. 8 weeks is the last one you should be appealing at.

Ronfedele

cmdrshepard - Not sure where you are located but, you may want to consider having your fingerprints done digitally. I just had mine done for my Utah permit. I went to the Manchester PD when they were doing them. Process was simple and the software they use checks to make sure the print is acceptable before continuing. Just an option.

http://www.bioidentserv.com/web/ind...a5033e8594bc=9a4ee97af219be438c330acbaffde595

This company is also doing new britain got called back that my prints were rejected needed to redo them.

jjw

Just started process

Hey guys I just submitted my application two weeks ago in Stamford. Anyone have any experience in getting a carry permit in Stamford?

CT Barfly

Hey guys I just submitted my application two weeks ago in Stamford. Anyone have any experience in getting a carry permit in Stamford?

did they give you any pushback about accepting the application or doing the fingerprints?

jjw

did they give you any pushback about accepting the application or doing the fingerprints?

None at all, the officer who took the application and did the prints couldn't have been nicer. I asked him how long he thought it would take and he said typically 8 weeks. Gave me a line about the FBI slowing things down a bit (which I knew was crap from reading all the information on this website) but still said 8-10 weeks or I should have the temp. Was just curious if anyone had any real world experiences with the town on these types of things.

CT Barfly

None at all, the officer who took the application and did the prints couldn't have been nicer. I asked him how long he thought it would take and he said typically 8 weeks. Gave me a line about the FBI slowing things down a bit (which I knew was crap from reading all the information on this website) but still said 8-10 weeks or I should have the temp. Was just curious if anyone had any real world experiences with the town on these types of things.

care to share any personal demographic info? age? race? level of education? occupation? completely optional, i won't read into any refusal and would in fact encourage you to share less unless you're completely comfy. this is the internet, after all.

curious how some of the big-city PDs are treating people.

jjw

care to share any personal demographic info? age? race? level of education? occupation? completely optional, i won't read into any refusal and would in fact encourage you to share less unless you're completely comfy. this is the internet, after all.

curious how some of the big-city PDs are treating people.

Lets say to just look at me I'm the typical guy the PD wouldn't think twice about. The guy in Stamford like I said was very nice and professional. He is a member of the crime investigation task force or something so he had already worked a full day at that point I think. He was there doing prints for a bevy of things not just CWP. He was also helpful and professional to a guy who walked in there thinking he was handing in his paperwork without certified checks or NRA certificate. He took the time to explain to the guy what he needed to do and when he could come back. So my experience with them was very positive. However all that does me little good if its going to take me 3-4 months to get my permit and have a load of problems with my prints. :)