• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

jkhouw1

Just for information - Darien was 8 days all in.
Went to PD Thursday. They indicated fingerprints & application submitted electronically and would be done same day.
Received 60 temporary permit the following Thursday. Picked up permanent Friday. The slowest part was the mail from the PD to my house of the temp permit.

CT Barfly

Just for information - Darien was 8 days all in.
Went to PD Thursday. They indicated fingerprints & application submitted electronically and would be done same day.
Received 60 temporary permit the following Thursday. Picked up permanent Friday. The slowest part was the mail from the PD to my house of the temp permit.

You must be quite special.

Keep in mind that the issuing authority (town) may issue a 60 day permit on its own discretion when a completed application is received. The permit will then be revoked if the permittee is discovered to be ineligible. It's likely the state has not completed your background check and FBI check.

It would be my guess that you're somewhat known to your issuing authority and they didn't feel the need to make you wait. Lots of firefighters, cop relatives/friends, etc. have remarkably short processing times.

jkhouw1

You must be quite special.

Keep in mind that the issuing authority (town) may issue a 60 day permit on its own discretion when a completed application is received. The permit will then be revoked if the permittee is discovered to be ineligible. It's likely the state has not completed your background check and FBI check.

It would be my guess that you're somewhat known to your issuing authority and they didn't feel the need to make you wait. Lots of firefighters, cop relatives/friends, etc. have remarkably short processing times.

I am fairly sure i'm not known at all to local PD - my activity w/the town has been limited to paying my taxes.... As for the state - when i got the permanent, i was looking over her shoulder at the computer and she did the background check right then - it appeared to check at least 8 databases. This was at the Troop G Permit Office in Bridgeport.
I think if the town has an anti-gun stance, is crazy busy, or are just lazy, they might delay it but otherwise it SHOULD be a fast process. Their level of technology may even play a role too - I think Darien has all the latest tech/connectivity - he electronically scanned my fingerprints and we waited about 2 minutes and they were verified as being received by the State. When i walked out of the PD, the detective even said i should have the temp in the mail in about 5 days.

cmdrshepard

Fingerprints rejected multiple times

After completing the NRA course, I submitted everything to PD in Shelton in the fall (I'd have to look for exact dates). 8-9 weeks later I got a call stating that the state had rejected my prints as low quality (they had used a new fangled computerized method for taking prints).

I went back a week or two later and got them redone. This time they used ink, assuring me that proper ink ones were almost guaranteed to be accepted. Well, another 7-8 weeks have passed, and this morning I got a call from Shelton PD to tell me they had been rejected again by the state for the same reason as the first time.

I was told that they could make sure the "supervisor" does it the next time to increase chances of success, but after hearing the name, I'm about 80% sure that's actually the guy who did them the last time.

This is becoming an enormous hassle. I'd obviously prefer not to wait another two months only to possibly here they've been rejected yet again.

Any advice on how I should proceed from this point? One friend suggested calling DPS in Middletown and/or possibly having prints done there. This ability to reject prints seems like a nice convenient way around their obligation of processing everything in any sort of timely manner..

Rich B

After completing the NRA course, I submitted everything to PD in Shelton in the fall (I'd have to look for exact dates). 8-9 weeks later I got a call stating that the state had rejected my prints as low quality (they had used a new fangled computerized method for taking prints).

I went back a week or two later and got them redone. This time they used ink, assuring me that proper ink ones were almost guaranteed to be accepted. Well, another 7-8 weeks have passed, and this morning I got a call from Shelton PD to tell me they had been rejected again by the state for the same reason as the first time.

I was told that they could make sure the "supervisor" does it the next time to increase chances of success, but after hearing the name, I'm about 80% sure that's actually the guy who did them the last time.

This is becoming an enormous hassle. I'd obviously prefer not to wait another two months only to possibly here they've been rejected yet again.

Any advice on how I should proceed from this point? One friend suggested calling DPS in Middletown and/or possibly having prints done there. This ability to reject prints seems like a nice convenient way around their obligation of processing everything in any sort of timely manner..

Get printed elsewhere. DPS or a different department or bioidentserv.

CT Barfly

No idea if this is a stalling tactic or they really just don't know how to take fingerprints correctly...if the former, it would be the first I've heard.

1. Your fingerprints are used to identify you to the FBI and the State. After two attempts by two different means, you should be able to make a good case for identifying yourself using other means (SSN? Birth Cert? Passport?) Once they run you through the system and verify your particulars, they should be able to narrow down your identity and check your criminal history.

OR

2. It's probably easier to go to Middletown and obtain your fingerprints by the State Police Bureau of Identification (SPBI) on the first floor at DESPP. They don't play games, they do it all day long, and if they can't do it nobody can. They also have the electronic system with ink backup. You can show up during business hours and be out of there in 20minutes. Just bring money. While you're there, and before you pay, make sure you ask to speak to someone at SPBI to verify Shelton PD's story.

Once you get the fingerprint card, fedex/mail/drop off your completed application materials to your town and start the clock.

If you really want to find out what is going on, send me a PM and I can help you get to the bottom of things.

Last edited:

cmdrshepard

Thanks for the replies. I'd hate to have to pay for prints again, but it's preferable to another huge wait I guess. Such a silly thing to be holding everything up. The prints looked really detailed to me both times, with no smudges, but then again I don't look at many sets of prints.

I guess I should call this DPS office before taking the time to make the drive up there? Crazy that it takes so many weeks with Shelton, while this Darien guy above got his electronically verified by the state (allegedly) the same day??

EDIT: CT Barfly, above, are you indicating that you think I need to RESTART the application process? Back in September/October everything was submitted to Shelton PD. And how much does it cost to have prints done at SPBI?

Last edited:

CT Barfly

Thanks for the replies. I'd hate to have to pay for prints again, but it's preferable to another huge wait I guess. Such a silly thing to be holding everything up. The prints looked really detailed to me both times, with no smudges, but then again I don't look at many sets of prints.

I guess I should call this DPS office before taking the time to make the drive up there? Crazy that it takes so many weeks with Shelton, while this Darien guy above got his electronically verified by the state (allegedly) the same day??

EDIT: CT Barfly, above, are you indicating that you think I need to RESTART the application process? Back in September/October everything was submitted to Shelton PD. And how much does it cost to have prints done at SPBI?

Unfortunately, Shelton's story is that DESPP says your prints were unreadable and they were therefore unable to complete a crucial part of the application process. I have no idea if the story is true (and I am aware of LEO "bending" the truth in order to discourage applicants), but it seems that they are asking for a set of prints that is "useable." Technically speaking, they are saying that your application requires additional information...and it's up to you to provide it...no different than if they found something in your background or if you failed to answer all of the questions on the original form. If you fail to give it to them, they are not obligated make a decision on your application. Again, I would recommend that you verify Shelton's story by talking to DESPP since they are in fact blaming DESPP for being unable to process your prints. Don't let Shelton pass the buck and blame DESPP when DESPP has very tight controls and will know your exact application status...allowing you to determine who is telling the real story.

Presuming your checks have been cashed...you will not need to reapply or re-pay or anything like that. You're just completing an incomplete application.

If you can settle the fingerprint issue once and for all, it should be added to your application materials and you won't technically have to reapply, but it will start the clock from the date they receive a good set of prints.

So yah, my recommendation is to act like Shelton's telling you the truth and solve the fingerprint problem, OR be skeptical and go straight to DESPP to verify Shelton's story and act accordingly (get them re-done or expose Shelton's lie and ask them kindly to do their job).

Don't worry, you're not going to upset anyone and they can't use your insistence and skeptical nature as grounds to deny your permit...you're merely asking government agencies to perform the legal duties they are obligated to perform by statute.

EDIT: The towns are notorious for "blaming the state" for delays (really outright refusals) that they themselves are solely responsible for. Most applicants accept this and go back to waiting. Call their bluff and go straight to the state to get the skinny.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sheldon would likely claim that you did not make a complete application if you were to file an appeal.

You need to contact your state representative and ask them to drop this requirement. Why people have to submit fingerprints is beyond reason to me. They have all your ID - name & address. That should be enough.

In fact, one should not be required to even get a permit.

CT Barfly

Sheldon would likely claim that you did not make a complete application if you were to file an appeal.

You need to contact your state representative and ask them to drop this requirement. Why people have to submit fingerprints is beyond reason to me. They have all your ID - name & address. That should be enough.

In fact, one should not be required to even get a permit.

Nobody is saying "appeal."

If one state rep can make the fingerprint requirement disappear, I will be quite surprised. Fingerprints are unique identifiers of individual human beings and they are standard for processing criminals. If you have a problem with science, good luck.

Last edited:

jkhouw1

When I got mine scanned by one of those computerized methods, the detective had me wait. it took about 10 minutes and he got the verification back from the state that the prints were acceptable.

davidmcbeth

Banned

If one state rep can make the fingerprint requirement disappear, I will be quite surprised. Fingerprints are unique identifiers of individual human beings and they are standard for processing criminals. If you have a problem with science, good luck.

I got a problem w/providing prints ... or needing a permit

Tactical9mm

There is the heart of the matter; "For processing criminals". A unique identifier is a State issued Driver's license, and the reality is that it should be all they need to make sure that you are indeed you. Requiring non-criminals to submit to fingerprinting to exercise a right (or even a privilege like operating a motor vehicle) is an insult, and should not be tolerated.

Speaking as a New Hampshire resident, our pistol license does not require fingerprints to be submitted. Proof of concept in operation. Additionally our turnaround time for pistol license issue is a maximum of fourteen days (by law).

Please do not take my words here to indicate support for any permit/licensing/registration scheme for firearms. I fully support constitutional carry.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is the heart of the matter; "For processing criminals". A unique identifier is a State issued Driver's license, and the reality is that it should be all they need to make sure that you are indeed you. Requiring non-criminals to submit to fingerprinting to exercise a right (or even a privilege like operating a motor vehicle) is an insult, and should not be tolerated.

Speaking as a New Hampshire resident, our pistol license does not require fingerprints to be submitted. Proof of concept in operation. Additionally our turnaround time for pistol license issue is a maximum of fourteen days (by law).

Please do not take my words here to indicate support for any permit/licensing/registration scheme for firearms. I fully support constitutional carry.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Above is the application form ^^^

When completed you sign it and its basically an affidavit. I see no need for further identification of fingerprints. Its outrageous.

Additionally, I think that we have a pre-constitutional and constitutional (2nd & 9th) RKBA ... no permit can be required.

Tactical9mm

http://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/slfu/pistol_permits/dps-799-c.pdf

Above is the application form ^^^

When completed you sign it and its basically an affidavit. I see no need for further identification of fingerprints. Its outrageous.

Additionally, I think that we have a pre-constitutional and constitutional (2nd & 9th) RKBA ... no permit can be required.

I don't think anyone will argue that the idea of having to pay the government (on a recurring basis), and register yourself to exercise rights is repugnant. Getting a "permission slip", and all that sort of rubbish.

The problem is when the State requires it, and citizens are forced to either play the State's game, or not play.

It needs to be codified in local law to prevent the State from abusing its authority, and making these demands on citizens (like requiring fingerprints to be submitted).

I read that application that you linked, and cringed through the entire document. Wow, just wow.

Between the fee bilking, the countless levels of hoops to jump through, and the miscellaneous hassles, it is a nightmare. Clearly many layers of bureaucratic garbage designed to limit and dissuade.

I'm linking the New Hampshire license application as a point of reference, in how things codified in law reflect in the application.

New Hampshire, like Connecticut has "suitability". You guys might find it interesting how it was handled up here to make the State effectively shall issue, and eliminate the potential nonsense that can come up if it isn't tamed.

"Applicants not prohibited under federal or NH law from possession of a firearm shall be deemed suitable persons and the license shall be issued unless the applicant is so prohibited from possessing a firearm. The burden is on the licensing entity to prove by clear and convincing proof that the applicant is so prohibited from possessing a firearm."

That above quote is from the application at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp85.pdf

CT Barfly

This thread is for people who are having trouble navigating the permit process and seeking information about wait times...not for complaining that the process exists. Start a whiner thread elsewhere.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This thread is for people who are having trouble navigating the permit process and seeking information about wait times...not for complaining that the process exists. Start a whiner thread elsewhere.

I would disagree .. anyone can object to a requirement of the process and when is this to be done? When you are in the process.

One can object to : fees, completion of parts of the form being mandatory, and other aspects, including fingerprinting.

Learn administrative law CT Barfly.

The proper way of handling fingerprint issues is to not get fingerprints performed, get denied, and argue that they cannot be required.

Its an option for this gentleman if he wishes to pursue his permit application & appeal w/o providing fingerprints. It looks like he does not mind (or didn't up to a point)...perhaps his view has changed.

I objected to portions of the questionnaire and permit form -- the BTFE agreed with some of my arguments but not all and made only a few of the questionnaire questions to be mandatory. You never know until you make it an issue.

Last edited:

tiedie

When I did my Ct. permit process (took 4 months), I got finger printed in NC in my County when I renewed my NC permit. I would think that if you paid for printing you should not have to pay again. My experience is follow up and keep your receipts, and most of all be patient, persistent.

That's my .02 take it or leave it.
Good luck

CT Barfly

I would disagree .. anyone can object to a requirement of the process and when is this to be done? When you are in the process.

One can object to : fees, completion of parts of the form being mandatory, and other aspects, including fingerprinting.

Learn administrative law CT Barfly.

The proper way of handling fingerprint issues is to not get fingerprints performed, get denied, and argue that they cannot be required.

Its an option for this gentleman if he wishes to pursue his permit application & appeal w/o providing fingerprints. It looks like he does not mind (or didn't up to a point)...perhaps his view has changed.

I objected to portions of the questionnaire and permit form -- the BTFE agreed with some of my arguments but not all and made only a few of the questionnaire questions to be mandatory. You never know until you make it an issue.

One can object to pretty much anything. Yes, noncompliance and challenge is always an option. That's a true statement if ever there was one but it doesn't launder your position or make your post(s) relevant or useful to the advice-seeker.

Personally, I object to your failure to comprehend my posts.

Last edited: