• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Johearn

Tomorrow will mark 9 weeks from submission of application. Has anyone gotten any recent feedback from the state on what timeframe they are currently processing? Seems like they should be working late June/early July given their previous status.

19LG

Tomorrow will mark 9 weeks from submission of application. Has anyone gotten any recent feedback from the state on what timeframe they are currently processing? Seems like they should be working late June/early July given their previous status.

I haven’t heard anything. I have a busy day so I don’t think I can call over there today but if anyone on the board can call for an update that would be great.

Gun permit CT

My checks were cashed on June 12th and I’m still waiting!

19LG

My checks were cashed on June 12th and I’m still waiting!

I would call the SPBI and find out where they are with regards to the background check. When I spoke with them on 8/14 they said they were still working on June background checks. I don’t know how long it takes once they start working on the checks.

I would call the SPBI and find out where they are with regards to the background check. When I spoke with them on 8/14 they said they were still working on June background checks. I don’t know how long it takes once they start working on the checks.

Not sure who you spoke with but I just called and I was told they are working on the 2nd week of May. She said I’m at least 2-3 weeks away from review.

19LG

Not sure who you spoke with but I just called and I was told they are working on the 2nd week of May. She said I’m at least 2-3 weeks away from review.

I've received different answers from different people I've spoken with there. The only name I remember is Sandy, but I know I have spoken with other people there as well. I spoke with them on July 13th, at that time they said they were working on applications from April 14th which would be about 12 weeks. I then spoke with them again at the end of July and they said "we are into May and doing applications from early May now". I then spoke with them again on 8/14 and they said 'we aren't even through June yet so I assumed that meant that May had been completed. Again, I spoke with different people. When I called in 8/14 they said they weren't allowed to give estimates and she didn't even look me up in the system. Something is not right, based on what they told you the backlog has now grown over 4 weeks to a 16 week backlog just to have them review your prints? Anyone else on the board here anything different from the SPBI recently? I find it hard to believe that they are doing background checks from May - I'm not discrediting your statement but it seems like every time you speak with a different person you get a different response over there.

Were your fingerprints sent digitally or did you have to do the ink prints? I did the digital prints and the PD told me they are sent electronically into the AFIS system and they get a response back within 5-6 weeks and I should get my permit in 6-8 weeks. I'm currently at 7 1/2 weeks and will hit 8 weeks on 9/2. I wonder if the digital prints that are sent electronically are returned faster than the ink prints that are mailed in.

19LG

Im in Lebanon, CT. Today marks 8 weeks since I submitted my paperwork. All of my checks were cashed last month.
I've called the first selectman's office a few times to check the status and they keep telling me (today too) that they are waiting for the state background check.

Should I submit an appeal today or wait a while longer? I don't want to rock the boat needlessly if it's not going to get my permit any faster.

Thanks for any help

Did you get the permit?

Johearn

Summarizing in a single post.
Town: Wethersfield
Submitted: 6/27/18 (9 weeks today)
Prints: Digital
Check cashed: 8/2/18 (single check to cover all fees)
Town quote: 4-6 months
Extra: I have a friend in the local PD, he poked the responsible detective once for me, will ask again when I see him next week

Johearn

Having read the law more closely, couple notes to highlight.

Local authority needs to record date of fingerprint and submit to state within 5 days of recorded date. I assume this to be 5 business days.

Local authority can approve temp permit without “federal criminal check” complete, does not spell out whether they are required to wait for state results.

After 8 weeks they are to notify you in writing that there is a delay and they are waiting for results of criminal check.

No penalties are prescribed for the local authority so not sure what if anything happens to them if they miss these requirements, as the law is written.

Also, I’m not a lawyer, just expressing my interpretation/understanding of the law as I’ve read it.

Last edited:

19LG

Extra: I have a friend in the local PD, he poked the responsible detective once for me, will ask again when I see him next week

Thanks

I'm a few towns over .. my prints were digital, my application was submitted along with my prints on July 8th. One personal check for $157 which was cashed on July 10th. The town gave me an estimate of 6-8 weeks. I called the SPBI twice in July and they said my prints weren't in their system and they were probably in the fingerprint division waiting to be entered. I called my local PD who advised me the prints are electronically submitted to the SBPI and they get a response within 5-6 weeks. I'm assuming that is truth that the prints are sent electronically and although they weren't entered into the 'system' the SPBI had them somewhere in the building.

Another poster just mentioned the state is only through the second week of May which is unconscionable. Did you get a chance to talk with SPBI to verify that? Last time I spoke to them on Aug 14 they said they have been told not to give estimates and they are still in June. She didn't even look me up. Very frustrating.

I am going to wait until after Labor Day weekend and then call the PD.

Town: Marlborough
Submitted: May 7th
Prints: ink
Check cashed: June 12th
Town Quote: 8-9 weeks

Still waiting- was told today it would be another 3 weeks at least

You still have 6-8 weeks so I wouldn’t bother them

Last edited:

19LG

You still have 6-8 weeks so I wouldn’t bother them

I guess theoretically the town can issue the permit before the results come back which they might do if he knows someone at the PD. For an average Joe I doubt the PD would. A constructive denial appeal might also grease the wheels. It is remarkable that the state is this backlogged but it doesn’t make sense that some people get their permits back quicker than others. It is also remarkable that every time I speak with the State there is a different response. Between July 13 and today they only made it from 4/14 to 2nd week of May for background checks? I don’t buy it. I know a ton of people who got their permits under 8 weeks. I really think you need to make some noise to get it expedited.

Shad0w

I guess theoretically the town can issue the permit before the results come back which they might do if he knows someone at the PD. For an average Joe I doubt the PD would. A constructive denial appeal might also grease the wheels. It is remarkable that the state is this backlogged but it doesn’t make sense that some people get their permits back quicker than others. It is also remarkable that every time I speak with the State there is a different response. Between July 13 and today they only made it from 4/14 to 2nd week of May for background checks? I don’t buy it. I know a ton of people who got their permits under 8 weeks. I really think you need to make some noise to get it expedited.

A friend of mine applied for her temporary permit for Naugatuck on 4/17 and got a call on 7/30 from the PD that her permit would be ready on 8/1. She got hers now. I've been following this thread for the last month or so to get an estimate for myself. I applied right after fathers day on 6/18 for Derby. Currently going into 10 weeks and 2 days, also 12 weeks+ in waiting for my CT Security License I applied for on June 1st. My guess is SPBI is telling people run around information. Although ultimately the fate of ones temporary permit falls in the hands of the town/city you reside in. The local issuing authority from countless stories I've read and heard like to take their time issuing them for whatever reason despite it not taking very long to run a background check.

I would try calling them and asking them what's going on and when they give you the "we can't tell you anything story", just say to them; "Okay it's been over 8 weeks for me, should I apply for an appeal then to speed up the process?" It's the only power anyone essentially kind of has over them considering they are the same people that deal with appeals and they hate having to do them, because they also clog the supposed "backlog". Otherwise it's a waiting game. :cry:

19LG

A friend of mine applied for her temporary permit for Naugatuck on 4/17 and got a call on 7/30 from the PD that her permit would be ready on 8/1. She got hers now. I've been following this thread for the last month or so to get an estimate for myself. I applied right after fathers day on 6/18 for Derby. Currently going into 10 weeks and 2 days, also 12 weeks+ in waiting for my CT Security License I applied for on June 1st. My guess is SPBI is telling people run around information. Although ultimately the fate of ones temporary permit falls in the hands of the town/city you reside in. The local issuing authority from countless stories I've read and heard like to take their time issuing them for whatever reason despite it not taking very long to run a background check.

I would try calling them and asking them what's going on and when they give you the "we can't tell you anything story", just say to them; "Okay it's been over 8 weeks for me, should I apply for an appeal then to speed up the process?" It's the only power anyone essentially kind of has over them considering they are the same people that deal with appeals and they hate having to do them, because they also clog the supposed "backlog". Otherwise it's a waiting game. :cry:

Thanks. I tend to agree the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but your friend is another example of somebody waiting almost 4 months for a permit. Most people posting are in similar waiting periods. That leads me to believe there is some sort of bottleneck along the line. It would seem to be a state issue since people from all towns are impacted it seems. I hit the magical 8 week mark this weekend. I do plan on having a polite conversation with the local PD and will inform them if the permit isn’t approved promptly I need to reserve my rights and need to appeal. You technically have only 90 days from denial to appeal. Once you hit 8 weeks with no permit you have been denied. The clock is running.

I do agree the PD doesn’t want to have to defend themselves at a hearing. It is a waste of time against somebody with a clean record and steady employment, etc. I’m hoping they can approve it once I speak with them. Sounds like other people on this board have had success in getting it done that way.

CtHusky18

Waterbury

Applied in Waterbury may 17 2018 and my money orders haven't even been cashed yet. Also had my fingerprints digitally done.

Last edited:

Shad0w

Thanks. I tend to agree the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but your friend is another example of somebody waiting almost 4 months for a permit. Most people posting are in similar waiting periods. That leads me to believe there is some sort of bottleneck along the line. It would seem to be a state issue since people from all towns are impacted it seems. I hit the magical 8 week mark this weekend. I do plan on having a polite conversation with the local PD and will inform them if the permit isn’t approved promptly I need to reserve my rights and need to appeal. You technically have only 90 days from denial to appeal. Once you hit 8 weeks with no permit you have been denied. The clock is running.

I do agree the PD doesn’t want to have to defend themselves at a hearing. It is a waste of time against somebody with a clean record and steady employment, etc. I’m hoping they can approve it once I speak with them. Sounds like other people on this board have had success in getting it done that way.

If you manage some success with this method please let us know! I'm gonna wait another week or so before I call. This is ridiculous though.

Shad0w

Applied in Waterbury may 17 2018 and my money orders haven't even been cashed yet. Also had my fingerprints digitally done.

It's also good to remember though, the check/cash/money orders don't mean anything. Any and all law enforcement agencies can run background checks on anyone for free, and so can the state. NICS and every other database that has some semblance of dirt on someone is practically patty cake for a government agency, local or federal. The only reason they charge money is for personal profit, and "funding". So half your money either goes to your town/city, the police department, and the rest to the state, and whoever else. They can run a check anytime they want. My guess is if they are in fact half way through May then your BG check should be done by the end of this week and results sent back to Waterbury PD Monday. However, due to the volume of other people applying in Waterbury, and the horror story wait times I've heard about the city and it's issuing times, who knows when the Police chief or acting officer will sign off on your paperwork and send it to you, because even then they can sign off on it and will wait until the absolute last minute to issue it to you. As a matter of fact the person who I took my NRA basics course with was a former DEEP and State Police officer who told me they tend to do this, and said that when you get your temp permit to apply immediately for your permanent one because of how long they sit on it, but they can't hold it longer than 90 days after they receive the results from the state. Otherwise, technically you can sue them for negligence, and I'm sure they don't want that. If you don't get your temp permit by a little before mid September, file for an appeal or raise hell with the local PD, because they will have it.

Right now, I'd like to know what month SPBI is standing in. That will paint an accurate picture of where this mess of a "backlog" stands.

EDIT: Also this is really mostly a game of, "When did my local police department send out my pistol permit paperwork to the state?"

Last edited:

19LG

It's also good to remember though, the check/cash/money orders don't mean anything. Any and all law enforcement agencies can run background checks on anyone for free, and so can the state. NICS and every other database that has some semblance of dirt on someone is practically patty cake for a government agency, local or federal. The only reason they charge money is for personal profit, and "funding". So half your money either goes to your town/city, the police department, and the rest to the state, and whoever else. They can run a check anytime they want. My guess is if they are in fact half way through May then your BG check should be done by the end of this week and results sent back to Waterbury PD Monday. However, due to the volume of other people applying in Waterbury, and the horror story wait times I've heard about the city and it's issuing times, who knows when the Police chief or acting officer will sign off on your paperwork and send it to you, because even then they can sign off on it and will wait until the absolute last minute to issue it to you. As a matter of fact the person who I took my NRA basics course with was a former DEEP and State Police officer who told me they tend to do this, and said that when you get your temp permit to apply immediately for your permanent one because of how long they sit on it, but they can't hold it longer than 90 days after they receive the results from the state. Otherwise, technically you can sue them for negligence, and I'm sure they don't want that. If you don't get your temp permit by a little before mid September, file for an appeal or raise hell with the local PD, because they will have it.

Right now, I'd like to know what month SPBI is standing in. That will paint an accurate picture of where this mess of a "backlog" stands.

EDIT: Also this is really mostly a game of, "When did my local police department send out my pistol permit paperwork to the state?"

I don’t live in Waterbury but my friend got his pistol permit in the Spring of 2013 from Waterbury. He luckily made it out of this state and lives in TX now. I sent him a text tonight. He got his permit in 10 weeks and that was right after Sandy hook which resulted in a big backlog. He did say to make sure your references pick up the phone when the PD calls otherwise your app goes to the bottom of the pile. He said only reason he got his quickly is because everyone picked up when the PD called otherwise he would have had to wait 4 months. Not sure if Waterbury still requests letters but that is what he said.

I too want to get a better understanding of where exactly the state is. Earlier this month they said they were in June.

Also the local PD only sends the prints not the actual app right? My PD said they send the prints electronically and receive an email response. I don’t think the state actually gets the 4 page application.

Shad0w

I don’t live in Waterbury but my friend got his pistol permit in the Spring of 2013 from Waterbury. He luckily made it out of this state and lives in TX now. I sent him a text tonight. He got his permit in 10 weeks and that was right after Sandy hook which resulted in a big backlog. He did say to make sure your references pick up the phone when the PD calls otherwise your app goes to the bottom of the pile. He said only reason he got his quickly is because everyone picked up when the PD called otherwise he would have had to wait 4 months. Not sure if Waterbury still requests letters but that is what he said.

I too want to get a better understanding of where exactly the state is. Earlier this month they said they were in June.

Also the local PD only sends the prints not the actual app right? My PD said they send the prints electronically and receive an email response. I don’t think the state actually gets the 4 page application.

Right. They only send out an FBI Background check that runs a NICS check on you using Federal Databases, the State uses any in State records for theirs, and they check your prints. The town keeps the actual 4 page record, because you are filing as a gun owner in your town, the state just recognizes that, and only that, and allows in state carrying. My town didn't need references, but did require my employment history, which legally they technically can't ask for either, but they do. Still it's a game of whenever did my local PD they send out the request for my State/Federal BG check and for prints to be read? lol and really it's the State BG check that takes the longest.

Last edited: