• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Robert53

The issue, my friend, is that now you want to carry a gun. That, in itself, is suspicious enough to make them take a second and a third look at you. All that other stuff is wiped clean from the slate and since you now want to carry a gun, there must be something wrong with you. You now want to have the ability to defend yourself and your family. What have you done that would make somebody want to hurt you? We'd better look into you life a little deeper.
If that's what passes for a joke, it's not a very good one

HP995

I don't think it was completely a joke, was it? Some (not all) people who work in government or on behalf of government are pretty subjective. Either way I hope it gets straightened out.

19LG

SPBI backlog

Anyone on the board still waiting for their permit to be issued? Per discussion with CT SPBI they aren't even through June yet, I applied in early July .. I asked how long it takes once my prints are entered into the system and they said it would be a while .. I do plan on appealing at 8 weeks but curious what the current wait time has been for people. Thanks

My non resident Connecticut State pistol permit application mailed out March 23rd, 2018 with a delivery date of March 24th to MIDDLETOWN, CT . The application process took 12 weeks from delivery to arrival...

Anyone on the board still waiting for their permit to be issued? Per discussion with CT SPBI they aren't even through June yet, I applied in early July .. I asked how long it takes once my prints are entered into the system and they said it would be a while .. I do plan on appealing at 8 weeks but curious what the current wait time has been for people. Thanks

Last edited:

19LG

My non resident Connecticut State pistol permit application mailed out March 23rd, 2018 with a delivery date of March 24th to MIDDLETOWN, CT . The application process took 12 weeks from delivery to arrival...

Thanks .. glad to hear it worked out for you, but it would seem then that an in-state pistol permit would take longer since the State has to send the results back to the local PD and the local PD issue the temporary permit. Luckily for you the middleman was cut out and you saved a few weeks by not having to have the local PD issue the temp.

Anyone else with a recent time frame??

Johearn

I just passed 7 weeks from submission (June 27th). Still no word. Nice to know they are at least into June checks at CT SPBI.

ErickCT

I’m at 17weeks still nothing

:cry:

Robert53

Did you get your temp permit yet?

No. I did, however call the state. They said they sent the background results to Columbia. I stopped in, and the FBI "No file found" letter was sitting in her in box. She said the resident state trooper comes in once a week, then the next week the selectman reviews it, i.e., two weeks. That was a week ago. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Johearn

I just passed 7 weeks from submission (June 27th). Still no word. Nice to know they are at least into June checks at CT SPBI.

My town recently cashed my check at the beginning of August (they had me write just one check for $157). Does that mean that they only recently sent my info to SPBI or is there not really any correlation between check cashing and permit processing?

19LG

My town recently cashed my check at the beginning of August (they had me write just one check for $157). Does that mean that they only recently sent my info to SPBI or is there not really any correlation between check cashing and permit processing?

My town also requests one check and they accept personal checks. I applied July 8 and the check was cashed on July 10. I don’t think there is any correlation. I don’t know how the accounting works since the check was made out to my town and not the State. I’m guessing the State bills the town? I submitted my prints electronically. I was told they get a response back in around 6 weeks. According to my town they don’t mail the prints. They are sent electronically. Question for the board, is the FBI response sent back at the same time as the State report? Or do they get sent back separate? I’m wondering if the FBI did their background check already and wondering if they send that check back to the State police who then wait to send it until their report is finalized, or does it get sent piecemeal?

Guns

I'm at 5 months and 1 week, and still have not heard anything from Waterbury. Clean record and all my references called and were told my application was already moved to the next phase. They called my references 2 and a half months ago. I'm giving it to the 6 month mark in the unfortunate event that I don't receive before then and filling an appeal. They did tell me 3-6 months so I'm hoping I receive it within the next 3 weeks but this is ridiculous.

19LG

I'm two towns over from you and I was told it takes 6-8 weeks for the temporary permit. I'm currently at 6 1/2 weeks and was told by the State last week that they are still in June for BG checks. Just out of curiosity, how long did the State take to send your BG check back to Waterbury?

I'm at 5 months and 1 week, and still have not heard anything from Waterbury. Clean record and all my references called and were told my application was already moved to the next phase. They called my references 2 and a half months ago. I'm giving it to the 6 month mark in the unfortunate event that I don't receive before then and filling an appeal. They did tell me 3-6 months so I'm hoping I receive it within the next 3 weeks but this is ridiculous.

Guns

I'm two towns over from you and I was told it takes 6-8 weeks for the temporary permit. I'm currently at 6 1/2 weeks and was told by the State last week that they are still in June for BG checks. Just out of curiosity, how long did the State take to send your BG check back to Waterbury?

Waterbury told me they could not tell me any information regarding the permit. I called at the 3 month mark, and went down in person at the 4 month mark and received the same response so I don't know

Robert53

Temporary Issued

The State of CT is processing background checks from May now - you should call the state and see if the results of your check were sent to your town.

Received my temporary permit today. Start to finish approx 4 1/2 months. Off tomorrow to the State Police for the five year permit.

19LG

Received my temporary permit today. Start to finish approx 4 1/2 months. Off tomorrow to the State Police for the five year permit.

Congrats! Although frustrating that they made you wait an additional 2 weeks. When you spoke with the town and the state did they say when they returned your background check back to the town? I applied July 9 supposedly as of last week they were still working on June checks. I’m hoping that with another week that has passed they are closer to July if not already in July. Curious to know how long once they start the check they actually complete it. Last question. We’re you fingerprinted with ink or digital? I was done with the computer and I was told they are digitally transferred to the State so I also wonder if that impacts the speed in which they are turned over. My PD said they get a response back in 5-6 weeks from the state. Anyone else on the board with some thoughts??

Robert53

Congrats! Although frustrating that they made you wait an additional 2 weeks. When you spoke with the town and the state did they say when they returned your background check back to the town? I applied July 9 supposedly as of last week they were still working on June checks. I’m hoping that with another week that has passed they are closer to July if not already in July. Curious to know how long once they start the check they actually complete it. Last question. We’re you fingerprinted with ink or digital? I was done with the computer and I was told they are digitally transferred to the State so I also wonder if that impacts the speed in which they are turned over. My PD said they get a response back in 5-6 weeks from the state. Anyone else on the board with some thoughts??

Columbia received the report, I believe two weeks ago. I called the State and it was them that said they had sent the results via email. It was suggested to me, by my town, I go to Middletown as opposed to Colchester, because they had digital fingerprinting. When I got there, the fellow looked at my fingers and said he didn't think the digital would work. He tried, and it didn't so, I had them done with ink. In fact, he did it twice, and gave me the second card in case the first was rejected. It wasn't. I went to Middletown today for the 5 year permit. It took less than 10 minutes! Fill out a card, gave them my drivers license and birth certificate, a check for $70, they snapped a photo and done. In all, the process took so long solely due to the States background check (at least as best as I can figure). Good luck

Last edited:

19LG

Columbia received the report, I believe two weeks ago. I called the State and it was them that said they had sent the results via email. It was suggested to me, by my town, I go to Middletown as opposed to Colchester, because they had digital fingerprinting. When I got there, the fellow looked at my fingers and said he didn't think the digital would work. He tried, and it didn't so, I had them done with ink. In fact, he did it twice, and gave me the second card in case the first was rejected. It wasn't. I went to Middletown today for the 5 year permit. It took less than 10 minutes! Fill out a card, gave them my drivers license and birth certificate, a check for $70, they snapped a photo and done. In all, the process took so long solely due to the States background check (at least as best as I can figure). Good luck

Thanks! It is interesting how the times on this forum vary from a few weeks to 18 weeks in your case. A previous poster mentioned he got his out of state permit in 12 weeks so I think the hold up is the towns. Not your problem anymore but I wonder if Columbia got the report back sooner than you were led to believe. Enjoy the permit.