• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Rich B

Cool, but where do you display the permit experiences?

We don't currently display these dynamically and publicly.

Town Total Time
Sherman 12 Weeks (88 Days)
Bridgeport 15 Weeks (110 Days)
Morris --
Guilford --
Vernon --
Glastonbury 8 Weeks (60 Days)
Stamford --
Norwich 8 Weeks (59 Days)
Redding 7 Weeks (53 Days)
Bristol 7 Weeks (49 Days)
Bristol 3 Weeks (24 Days)
Cromwell 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Waterbury 15 Weeks (108 Days)
North Stonington 11 Weeks (79 Days)
Watertown --
Farmington 5 Weeks (41 Days)
New Milford 5 Weeks (38 Days)
Avon 13 Weeks (95 Days)
Waterbury 9 Weeks (65 Days)
Derby 14 Weeks (104 Days)
Shelton 6 Weeks (48 Days)
New Britain --
Clinton 5 Weeks (40 Days)
Stamford 8 Weeks (61 Days)
Weston 8 Weeks (56 Days)
East Lyme 8 Weeks (58 Days)
New Haven --
Torrington 6 Weeks (45 Days)
Norwalk 7 Weeks (49 Days)
Greenwich 7 Weeks (50 Days)
Waterbury --
Stamford 10 Weeks (70 Days)
Norwalk 11 Weeks (83 Days)
Stratford 10 Weeks (72 Days)
Manchester 4 Weeks (33 Days)
Manchester 5 Weeks (38 Days)
Ansonia 9 Weeks (63 Days)
Southbury 9 Weeks (67 Days)
Colchester 9 Weeks (67 Days)
Seymour 10 Weeks (72 Days)
New Britain --
Ansonia 3 Weeks (25 Days)
Branford --
New Milford 8 Weeks (56 Days)
Wallingford 10 Weeks (71 Days)
Hamden 12 Weeks (87 Days)
Wethersfield 7 Weeks (50 Days)
New Haven 25 Weeks (178 Days)
Barkhamsted --
East Haven --
Suffield 10 Weeks (73 Days)
East Haven 11 Weeks (77 Days)

KydexKustomsCT

My experience last year with town of enfield. I filed everything., at 4 weeks and 6 weeks I called and asked te status. No update but I asked when were my forms mailed out since I handed them in on X date. She told me. On exactly 8 weeks I called for an update, she said they were behind ,blah blah blah. 16 weeks is how far out and its only been 8 weeks. I politely but firmly told her that they are required to issue or deny my application by 8 weeks or I am suggest to file an appeal. She stop the non sense and told me she will talk to the issuing officer. 2 hrs later I receive a call that my temp will be ready tomorrow am.

Just wanted to share my nonses I dealt with last year.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
My experience last year with town of enfield. I filed everything., at 4 weeks and 6 weeks I called and asked te status. No update but I asked when were my forms mailed out since I handed them in on X date. She told me. On exactly 8 weeks I called for an update, she said they were behind ,blah blah blah. 16 weeks is how far out and its only been 8 weeks. I politely but firmly told her that they are required to issue or deny my application by 8 weeks or I am suggest to file an appeal. She stop the non sense and told me she will talk to the issuing officer. 2 hrs later I receive a call that my temp will be ready tomorrow am.

Just wanted to share my nonses I dealt with last year.

Can I assume that you told her that you just got done cleaning your Howitzer and decided on calling? :cool:

You are lucky....enjoy your permit

jackdogstar

Suffield Wait Times Update....

Here's an update on wait times: I filed my application in Suffield on April 8. I was told then that it would be about four weeks. I went in today to ask and they said it would be at least 12 weeks.

I'm assuming that after June 8 I'll have to file my appeal, that being the eight week mark.

forhumans

Got a call from the local PD that my papers came back from the state today, and now my police chief has to vet that I'm worthy. I should expect it next week...

So I'm looking at a total wait of about 14 weeks.

motoxmann

Got a call from the local PD that my papers came back from the state today, and now my police chief has to vet that I'm worthy. I should expect it next week...

So I'm looking at a total wait of about 14 weeks.

file your appeal immediately using the 8 week process, and send it out bright and early Tuesday morning. I really don't understand your ignorance in refusing to file an appeal. the PD is breaking the law, and you're LETTING them!

Last edited:

Rich B

file your appeal immediately using the 8 week process, and send it out bright and early Tuesday morning. I really don't understand your ignorance in refusing to file an appeal. the PD is breaking the law, and you're LETTING them!

Your words are strong, but they are wise. 14 weeks and no appeal? You have no one to blame but yourself.

Rich B

I am grateful for this advice.

I hate to ask stupid questions, but could you please explain exactly what I should do? How do I get my dates from SPBI? Who do I call?

Thanks.

Call (860) 685-8341. Ask for Louise.

Have your check or money order information ready to assist in the search.

Ask for the date they received your prints and the date your national criminal history background check was returned to the local issuing authority.

If you get a negative response keep calling.

My_2nd_Amend_Rights

Same here...

First of all, thank you all for the information and insight...

I called Louise today and got the same response....."we are working on it". I applied in Avon on March 20. The State (according to Louise) received my application on April 8th. They were kind enough to cash my checks promptly as they cleared my bank account on April 10th.

I hear that Avon is taking 13 weeks total from a friend that applied in February and just received his. I am now at 10 weeks. Louise at the State stated that they place priority on pistol permit apps (I must respectfully disagree as they have been keeping mine warm in the pile for almost 8 weeks!) and she couldn't give an estimate regarding when mine would be completed.

Lastly, Louise stated that the state statute requires that they alert you by 8 weeks if there is a delay, not that they complete the request in 8 weeks - I don't see this anywhere. I did call and receive a call back from the officer in Avon at the 8 week point (who is very nice as well and I truly think he is just doing his job and waiting for the state...) and his response was that they checked out everything and they are just waiting on the state. So based on the info that I have, this is almost ENTIRELY a State of CT delay issue.

Personally, I think these delays flow down from the top, particularly Gov Malloy. He obvoiusly wants to unconstitutionally limit gun owners rights through the riduculous new laws that were passed during the night in April before anyone actually read them, but also to spitefully delay my rights to defend myself and my family with a legally owned handgun. Despicable. If there were ONE item in the new gun laws that target illegal owners I'd say that SOME amount of thought went into them. But....

davidmcbeth

Banned
cashed your checks?? well, thats what they meant by "working on it" I guess.

They should only need to do a standard NCIS chk that takes 10 seconds ... the fbi chk is a waste..

motoxmann

I applied in Avon on March 20. The State (according to Louise) received my application on April 8th. They were kind enough to cash my checks promptly as they cleared my bank account on April 10th.

By law, the PD has FIVE DAYS to send your fingerprints to DESPP. March 20th to April 8th is WAY more than 5 days, even if you factor in the longest mail shipment ever from Avon to Middletown.
The Avon PD broke the law by doing this. And due to this, you need to file an appeal immediately. You actually have been eligible to file an appeal since April 8th based on this alone.

Lastly, Louise stated that the state statute requires that they alert you by 8 weeks if there is a delay, not that they complete the request in 8 weeks - I don't see this anywhere. I did call and receive a call back from the officer in Avon at the 8 week point (who is very nice as well and I truly think he is just doing his job and waiting for the state...) and his response was that they checked out everything and they are just waiting on the state. So based on the info that I have, this is almost ENTIRELY a State of CT delay issue.

Louise told you incorrect information regarding the law. The law states that the entire process must not take more than 8 weeks. BY the 8 week mark they must provide you with an approval or denial, or a LEGAL reason for delay IN WRITING. notice I capped IN WRITING; a phone convo is not within the law for the PD, it is simply an inquiry on your part, which is what the BFPE says to do before filing your appeal.
By this alone, the PD has broken the law and you need to file an appeal immediately.
P.S. the state background check is NOT a LEGAL reason for delay, as the law states only the FBI check is required, and that check typically only takes a couple minutes to complete.

strong advice: you have already stated in your above that the Avon PD has broken the law twice in handling your PP application; file an appeal immediately!

Last edited:

AML225

Has anyone who filed an appeal because of a delay gotten any results? I'm at 8 weeks today and the state said it would be another couple of weeks.

AML225

Yes, of course. But most get issued right before the hearing.

So will filing an appeal simply get my local PD to send me a letter saying they haven't heard back from the state? As frustrating as it is, it seems like my only result will be a POed local PD.

Rich B

So will filing an appeal simply get my local PD to send me a letter saying they haven't heard back from the state? As frustrating as it is, it seems like my only result will be a POed local PD.

An appeal is an appeal. You will be scheduled for an appeal hearing. Who cares if the local PD is mad? They should follow the law.

If you get your permit before your hearing, you can call or email the BFPE and let them know the permit was issued.