• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

LENGERKE

update

Applied in SHELTON 02/28/2015. completed the 8th week on 04/25/2015 at the PD the Officer who received my application and took the finger prints said "THEY WILL CALL YOU".
The instructions for the application says: "ALLOW 8 TO 13 WEEKS FOR YOUR TEMP. PISTOL PERMIT TO BE READY" i asked people who applied in Shelton and they said that i should not worry about it,
Is anybody in this forum that previously applied in Shelton and what was the wait time????

An Update: Today may 6th The Local PD called to inform my Temp permit is ready a very nice lady by the way, so tomorrow will head to Troop G to get the permament. Total waiting time 9 weeks and a half. :lol: im really happy......

Last edited by a moderator:

nucciOMG

Hey All
Just wanted to update everyone, I handed my paperwork in to NORWALK on April 1st. Just got my call today to come pick it up, May 21st.
So I'm on my way!

Funny thing is, it was actually faster than my Utah!
KCCO!

adk_mechetech

Just wanted to tag in here and give an update for 2015 on the timeline. I've got my paperwork, prints, course, and supporting documentation all ready to go. I will be dropping off my application this afternoon on the way home from work. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't take the 14 weeks estimated on the instruction sheet I got from the resident troopers office. :eek:

I'll get the appeal paperwork filled out the day 8 weeks is up.

**Edit**
Just adding today that the check for $50 and $14.75 to the state were cashed on 6/16/15. It doesn't look like the town took more than a couple days to send out my application. The town check was cashed 6/11/15. I'm hoping this means the prints are already accepted but that's doubtful. Hopefully the background check comes back quickly.

Last edited:

adk_mechetech

Just today I went to the resident troopers office. After a 20 minute conversation about my application, which was very civil and open, he is "leaning toward denying" and forcing me to go through the BFPE for an appeal. I'm not happy about that, but he was going to "call a few people" and make a decision later this week. Too bad I don't plan on staying in CT for much longer. I'll probably be gone by the time my hearing comes around. :cuss:

****EDIT****
I called the resident troopers office this afternoon from work. My permit was issued and ready to pick up. I got it on the way home today and I am taking tomorrow off to go down to Middletown to get my state! :banana: 8/3/15

Last edited:

adk_mechetech

I went down to Middletown and got there a little before 8AM (for some reason I thought they opened at 8). There were a dozen or so people waiting behind me at 8:15 and we were allowed in promptly at 8:30. I got my card and was out the door by 8:40. Painless and simple, no questions, no issues.

A trip to Hoffman's was in order and after shooting a bunch of different 9mm guns, I walked out with a sweet deal on a CZ 2075 RAMI. Not at all what I thought I wanted, but dam it's nice!

Last edited:

swiffer

Greetings everyone,

I applied approx 5 weeks ago in Westport. I can't imagine they have a ton of applications coming through although I know that's not the deciding factor on time.

Of course, I'm curious (and a little impatient) about the status of my application so I tried calling Louise via the number posted here. It always goes to voicemail. I left a message but was wondering if that's typical. I'm sure they get inundated with calls daily. There was another number posted online with ext 8494 that isn't in service anymore but that seems to be the number the website directs you to call. No luck with the option to speak to a representative either.

Also, I attached a copy of my DD214 with my application but I'm not sure if that's to my advantage, disadvantage, or neither.

After reading ADK's post I'm guessing it will be closer to 8 weeks before I hear.

Any info regarding experiences with my location or additional contacts would be appreciated!

Best,

Swiffer

EDIT: Louise called me back, said info was sent back to PD on 9/6
Called and left a message with the detective who handled my application. Just curious, how long do they normally sit on the info?

EDIT: Detective called me just now to let me know its ready to be picked up. Five weeks to the day.

Last edited:

adk_mechetech

Greetings everyone,

I applied approx 5 weeks ago in Westport. I can't imagine they have a ton of applications coming through although I know that's not the deciding factor on time.

Of course, I'm curious (and a little impatient) about the status of my application so I tried calling Louise via the number posted here. It always goes to voicemail. I left a message but was wondering if that's typical. I'm sure they get inundated with calls daily. There was another number posted online with ext 8494 that isn't in service anymore but that seems to be the number the website directs you to call. No luck with the option to speak to a representative either.

Also, I attached a copy of my DD214 with my application but I'm not sure if that's to my advantage, disadvantage, or neither.

After reading ADK's post I'm guessing it will be closer to 8 weeks before I hear.

Any info regarding experiences with my location or additional contacts would be appreciated!

Best,

Swiffer

EDIT: Louise called me back, said info was sent back to PD on 9/6
Called and left a message with the detective who handled my application. Just curious, how long do they normally sit on the info?

EDIT: Detective called me just now to let me know its ready to be picked up. Five weeks to the day.
I believe it is 5 days from the time they receive your paperwork back to either issue or deny in writing. Sounds like you are all set. Congrats! Sounds like you got yours in about the same time as me.

I have shot no fewer than 20 different guns in the time since I got my permit. It took me 5 or 6 to confirm that I really like the 1911 style, and another few to find one that fit me. I didn't even buy it because I got a sweet deal on a used CZ 2075.

What I'm trying to say is go shoot a bunch of different guns. Hoffman's in Newington does a 10 for $10 in any of their range guns. $100 should get you extremely close. They have a great selection of used stuff that turns over regularly too. The people there are helpful and one of the guys spent a good 2 hrs with me walking around the counter and showing me things.

swiffer

Thanks. Went down to troop G yesterday then straight to Bridgeport Shooting Range to try some out. They offer unlimited rentals for $10 an hour plus ammo. Delta Arsenal in Wallingford let me shoot using my CAC and was able to try a few although it is a little more expensive. Hate to say it but I think im going to be wearing a glock hat soon haha.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks. Went down to troop G yesterday then straight to Bridgeport Shooting Range to try some out. They offer unlimited rentals for $10 an hour plus ammo. Delta Arsenal in Wallingford let me shoot using my CAC and was able to try a few although it is a little more expensive. Hate to say it but I think im going to be wearing a glock hat soon haha.
$10/hour PER gun, yes? 7 guns = $70.00.

OMG - a plastic hat. :p

swiffer

Nope! $10/hr for as many guns you can shoot plus range time and ammo. Tried 5 different guns for, you guessed it, $10/hr plus ammo and range time. I should note that ammo is pricey though.

Yea haha, I really wanted to like the MP9c (especially since it was made in the USA) but for me, the glocks felt better :banghead:

Tell ya what though, trying to find a gen 4 glock 26 with the fde frame is turning out to be a real pain.

Last edited:

Kailin4096

Naugatuck - 6 Week Wait Time

Hello all!

I just created this account to post this here.

I live in Naugatuck, CT. I submitted permit application on August 25th 2015 (08/25/2015). Got approval (temp permit) in the mail today, October 7th 2015 (10/07/2015). The form says that permit was approved on September 29th 2015 (09/29/2015). No calls or harrassing bureacrats was necessary. I do have one previous misdemeanor arrest from 3 years ago (no convictions), and so was a wee bit nervous that I might be denied. All in all Naugatuck seems to be a great town for pistol permit application stuff.

So, total wait time was exactly 6 weeks and 1 day to get the permit in the mail. Although, I do find it a bit odd that the permit says it was approved on the 29th of September, and I got it in the mail on October 7th. One week to mail the permit?

Bottom line - The Naugatuck Police Department seems to do things by the book and well in my opinion. They don't require any extra B.S. with the application like reference letters or a credit report, and the application form is the standard CT state form (DPS-799-C). The officer (Jacoboski) who does the applications is friendly and answers questions and makes sure the form is filled out accurately. And finally, ~6 weeks wait time isn't a record breaker for speediness, but I certainly have no complaints.

Hope this helps some Naugatuck residents who want a permit!

Now I'm going out and buying a SIG.....:eek:

Chuck Finley

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with the process, it helped me out while waiting for my permit. In case anybody is interested, I submitted my app with Stamford PD on 12/1, got called back in to re-do my prints on 12/5 and got the temp permit on 1/19.

LIItalian

Non-resident CT application/processing time for permit

My wife and i mailed in our apllications with all required docs on January 8, 2016. We both received our non-resident CCW permits today with 4/1/16 issue dates. 85 days with mail time included. Not bad considering in NY that permit wait is 6+ months.
They definitely did it within the 90 day time frame.
Waiting for VA over 90 days already and no word from them.

Rich B

My wife and i mailed in our apllications with all required docs on January 8, 2016. We both received our non-resident CCW permits today with 4/1/16 issue dates. 85 days with mail time included. Not bad considering in NY that permit wait is 6+ months.
They definitely did it within the 90 day time frame.
Waiting for VA over 90 days already and no word from them.

There is no such thing as a 'CCW permit' in Connecticut.

http://ctcarry.com/permits/unconcealed

Ktmorgan

I am currently going through the process in Southington. I'm wondering how long it will take. Here's my dates so far.

Application submitted and fingerprints done 7/31/16

Check cashed by SPD 8/3/16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluegrass2A

Non-resident CT application processing time

FWIW for any non-resident applicants looking at this thread.....

Summer/Fall 2016 it took 95 days from date (August) I mailed the application in till the permit arrived in the mail in November.

I had to redo my fingerprints 1 time so that added a week or so. I'd say 85-95 days is the current turn-around time for non-resident permits. Be forewarned they are scanning FP cards into IAFIS and that system is really picky. If your card has any smudged prints then you'll probably get a reject letter and two new cards to try again.

Ron in Kentucky
Be safe, carry on.

davidmcbeth

Banned
FWIW for any non-resident applicants looking at this thread.....

Summer/Fall 2016 it took 95 days from date (August) I mailed the application in till the permit arrived in the mail in November.

I had to redo my fingerprints 1 time so that added a week or so. I'd say 85-95 days is the current turn-around time for non-resident permits. Be forewarned they are scanning FP cards into IAFIS and that system is really picky. If your card has any smudged prints then you'll probably get a reject letter and two new cards to try again.

Ron in Kentucky
Be safe, carry on.

FYI...they can issue a temp. permit while waiting for any BR chk to be done....its not mandatory for a BR chk to be completed. If the authority demands 100% of time that BR chk must be done, they are likely unlawfully denying permits. See CGS Sec. 29-28.

Kahuna

New Canaan delays

Submitted application to local PD on August 16. Told it would take 8-10 weeks. Still nothing, 3 months later. Now told it is a 4-5 month process, maybe 6.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do you own a handgun now? Then I would ask for a temp. permit -- which can be issued w/o a BR chk being completed ... you have the right to practice w/your firearm.

If they won't, file an appeal with the board of firearms permit examiners and not a constructive discharge, which the board gives priority scheduling to....then I would not drop the appeal when you get your permit...

Kahuna

Do you own a handgun now? Then I would ask for a temp. permit -- which can be issued w/o a BR chk being completed ... you have the right to practice w/your firearm.

If they won't, file an appeal with the board of firearms permit examiners and not a constructive discharge, which the board gives priority scheduling to....then I would not drop the appeal when you get your permit...

No handgun, just several shotguns, which I have owned since before new laws were enacted post Newtown.
Place where I took NRA course let's me practice while waiting for permit. I'm going to start process for appeal.

Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE:
PD called this morning. My temporary permit is ready. Three months and three days

Last edited: