• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Naggypants

Received my temp permit this morning. Went to middletown afterwords and got my state permit. Was out of the DPS in about 25 minutes.

Date app turned in: November 13, 2014

Temp issued: December 10, 2014

Thanks for all the help, Rich!

rmb11130

Received my temp permit this morning. Went to middletown afterwords and got my state permit. Was out of the DPS in about 25 minutes.

Date app turned in: November 13, 2014

Temp issued: December 10, 2014

Thanks for all the help, Rich!

What city/town are you from?

matt01511

Mansfield Time Frame?

Does anyone have a time frame for how long it takes a Mansfield resident to get their temp permit? I had my prints done at Troop C barracks in Tolland, then ran over and submitted my application, payments, and prints the same day on December 15th. A family member trying to get the permit is on their 6th set of prints after being denied countless times (even though other prints for work have gone through with ease) Thanks to all for the information being posted on here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone have a time frame for how long it takes a Mansfield resident to get their temp permit? I had my prints done at Troop C barracks in Tolland, then ran over and submitted my application, payments, and prints the same day on December 15th. A family member trying to get the permit is on their 6th set of prints after being denied countless times (even though other prints for work have gone through with ease) Thanks to all for the information being posted on here.
Welcome to the best forum on the internet.

Might be time to have the prints done the ol' fashion way.

Rich B

There are other options for fingerprints. Have your friend contact Info@ctcarry.com

matt01511

There are other options for fingerprints. Have your friend contact Info@ctcarry.com

I'll definitely pass on the word to them. I was wondering a time frame for myself (given the prints go through with ease) do you have any estimates how quickly Mansfield residents are getting their permits compared to other towns?

matt01511

I will let them know for sure! I was wondering a time frame for my self (given the prints go through with ease) Are the Mansfield residents getting their permits on average any quicker than any other towns? I know its only been three days, but would like to keep a close eye on the time frame it takes them.

toni69x

Hello everyone quick question

I know this question might not be related to the topic, but I wanted to know If I could purchase a rifle with a gun permit as I read somewhere that you could. Also would this rifle be legal here in CT? ISSC MK22 SCAR .22LR

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know this question might not be related to the topic, but I wanted to know If I could purchase a rifle with a gun permit as I read somewhere that you could. Also would this rifle be legal here in CT? ISSC MK22 SCAR .22LR

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-00220-R00-SB.htm
and
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/ACT/PA/2013PA-00003-R00SB-01160-PA.htm

have you read these laws? You will find your answer there in respect to availability of the gun for purchase in CT.

Also, have you asked a dealer if you can buy the gun? I have had problems with ffls who do not understand the new laws and that lack has left me searching for ffls to buy some things.

Yes, with a pistol permit you can purchase guns and ammo.

I think that the gun is OK to purchase.

Last edited:

Slow 91

Hey guys, reading through this thread it looks like there was a huge backlog after Sandy Hook. Now that its a couple years later does anyone know if the process has sped up any? 2 weeks yesterday I had my finger prints done, and turned all paperwork to New Britain PD. I went over the 2 applications very thoroughly, so I would not have any issues with something missing. The lady in the records Dept did not say anything about how long it would take. I paid with 3 USPS postal money orders, they have not been cashed yet. After reading this thread, it almost seems like you have to keep on the PD to get it moving. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

Fatso

Norwich

Norwich resident here. Submitted completed application and prints on 10/31. Still waiting. Was told at end of 8 weeks that PD had received Fed & State background checks with no issues and was now waiting for one of their officers to do a 'local background check'. Checked in with Records Dept at end of last week (12th week) and received same answer, waiting on local background check to be conducted. Whatever that is.

Slow 91

Hey guys, reading through this thread it looks like there was a huge backlog after Sandy Hook. Now that its a couple years later does anyone know if the process has sped up any? 2 weeks yesterday I had my finger prints done, and turned all paperwork to New Britain PD. I went over the 2 applications very thoroughly, so I would not have any issues with something missing. The lady in the records Dept did not say anything about how long it would take. I paid with 3 USPS postal money orders, they have not been cashed yet. After reading this thread, it almost seems like you have to keep on the PD to get it moving. Any suggestions would be great.

anyone?

JGMC_Q

For the record I applied for my permit in North Haven on October 18, 2014 and after multiple calls to the records dept at the PD and numerous calls to date check and fact check to Louise I finally received my permit on February 20th. Long process with a lot of BS tossed around. I guess patience is a virtue.

LENGERKE

In Shelton

Applied in SHELTON 02/28/2015. completed the 8th week on 04/25/2015 at the PD the Officer who received my application and took the finger prints said "THEY WILL CALL YOU".
The instructions for the application says: "ALLOW 8 TO 13 WEEKS FOR YOUR TEMP. PISTOL PERMIT TO BE READY" i asked people who applied in Shelton and they said that i should not worry about it,
Is anybody in this forum that previously applied in Shelton and what was the wait time????

Last edited:

brk913

I see it more and more, towns are taking longer and longer...I heard one from Milford took 11 months and I just received a report about Middletown, 9 months, unacceptable and a clear violation of CGS, they just don't care.