• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

rmb11130

Reading the ccdl linked pdf .... question pops up: what constitutes an "application" ? Does the application include the completion of form(s), fingerprints, fees being paid, etc.?

fees and all are paid..just waiting for my temporary 60 day.

How do I make it as quick as possible?

davidmcbeth

Banned
You don't. They do...or not.

Well, he could file a mandamus motion.

In CT, you cannot transport your gun to a range for practice to maintain proficiency with the gun w/o a permit.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...=application+permit+to+carry&hl=en&as_sdt=4,7

The above cited case is interesting because under 29-28 it states, in part "...No state or temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall be issued under this subsection if the applicant (1) has failed to successfully complete a course approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection..." and I see where the BFPE (admin agency to review permit denials) will ask for the certificate of completion of a NRA course ~ but this is not proper ~ the opposing party (gov't agency) must show proof that your failed to complete a course ~ burden is not upon the applicant, so if the applicant lost his certificate and testifies he did take a course and passed then this should be OK unless the opposing party proves that he did not. This not withstanding that the BFPE board members have zero authority to even ask questions at the BFPE hearing under current law.

So here the poster has a handgun that he cannot currently practice with due to CT law regarding transportation of handguns.

The US Army requires target practice at a minimum of every 6 months for a handgun so I would say that this time period is the maximum time one needs to maintain proficiency with his hand gun.

And do we have the right to maintain proficiency with a handgun we own? In Ezell v. Chicago, 651 F3d. 684, the court said yes, that this is a right under the 2nd amendment.

So if the poster has not been able to practice with his gun for a period greater than 6 months then he might very well win a mandamus action.

In fact, many of the requirements to issue a permit go right out the window after the Ezell case. Their suitability arguments are gone, the need to state a reason for getting a permit-gone, etc.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

davidmcbeth

Banned
Fail to see how filing a Writ of Mandamus will "make it as quick as possible."

Appears that all is progressing according to Plan A.

Just pointing out the the poster does have an avenue to follow ... I doubt he would but its a legal option that is available to him.

And it may be information valuable to others outside of the one poster.

Last edited:

Naggypants

fees and all are paid..just waiting for my temporary 60 day.

How do I make it as quick as possible?

From what I can tell, David is kind of crazy, take what he says with a grain of salt.

Call the SPBI: (860) 685-8341, ask for Louise.

She can give you the date your application was received by the SPBI, and when it was processed and sent back to your town.

She was very kind and helpful with me.

davidmcbeth

Banned
From what I can tell, David is kind of crazy, take what he says with a grain of salt.

She can give you the date your application was received by the SPBI, and when it was processed and sent back to your town.

what was crazy with what I posted ... I just posted case law and statues .. if naggy wishes to say what he found wrong about my previous post then naggy should point this out -- if I made a mistake, I would be happy to rectify it. Or it is also possible that naggy does not know the law...in which case if he wants to learn he should also post back further...

And DESPP employees routinely LIE. So why even call them .. not going to speed up anything either.

Last edited:

rmb11130

When it gets sent back to Milford PD does this mean that the FBI check was done as well?

What further steps does the department have to take once the receive it back from the state?

Thanks for your help!

davidmcbeth

Banned
When it gets sent back to Milford PD does this mean that the FBI check was done as well?

What further steps does the department have to take once the receive it back from the state?

Thanks for your help!

When it gets back to Milford, then just waiting on sig from the PD

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks a lot David! Anything I can do that will help speed up that signature process when calling the PD, once I know they have it?

I don't think so ... you can call and ask 'cause you need to buy some ammo or something ... but from I've seen, Milford is not slow in this respect.

Rich B

Thanks for your help!

They have one week per statue to issue or deny upon receiving the FBI IAFIS report back from the state.

Jeff. State

Banned
Connecticut...... The Constitution State...........

Where citizens must beg the State for a permit to exercise their Rights.