Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

[QUOTE=mtc273;2232719]I see your point regarding the wording on the application, but by the same token wouldn't every parking ticket, speeding ticket, cell phone violation, red light violation have to be disclosed? Have you ever been convicted under the laws of this state, federal law or other jurisdiction? The way that is worded every traffic ticket would have to be disclosed right? If you get a cell phone infraction ticket in CT, and pay the fine then you have been convicted under the laws of CT, correct? This is why I called the State Police to clarify - it is the intent to only have misdemeanors and felonies disclosed. The NY open container infraction is 100% just a violation and not a crime. I re-verified this again tonight. So based on the State Police saying infractions and violations don't need to be disclosed, and with NYC's official website saying this is only a violation and not a crime, I don't believe this needs to be disclosed.

Just another point - in NY State - going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit can land you in jail for 15 days. That is not for a crime but is for a traffic violation. Just wondering Color of Law - would you disclose a speeding ticket in NY for going 66 in a 65 zone because New York State could have sent you to jail for 15 days on your CT Pistol Permit Application?? No of course not, because it is a violation and not a crime.

Penalties for Speeding
    Speed Minimum fine Maximum fine Possible prison time
    up to 10 mph over $90 $150 not more than 15 days
    more than 10 mph over - less than 30 mph over $180 $300 not more than 30 days
    more than 30 mph over $360 $600 not more than 30 days
    inappropriate speed $45 $150 not more than 15 days

Source: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtc273 View Post
    I see your point regarding the wording on the application, but by the same token wouldn't every parking ticket, speeding ticket, cell phone violation, red light violation have to be disclosed? Have you ever been convicted under the laws of this state, federal law or other jurisdiction? The way that is worded every traffic ticket would have to be disclosed right? If you get a cell phone infraction ticket in CT, and pay the fine then you have been convicted under the laws of CT, correct? This is why I called the State Police to clarify - it is the intent to only have misdemeanors and felonies disclosed. The NY open container infraction is 100% just a violation and not a crime. I re-verified this again tonight. So based on the State Police saying infractions and violations don't need to be disclosed, and with NYC's official website saying this is only a violation and not a crime, I don't believe this needs to be disclosed.

My main question though was even if I do disclose it, which I don't believe it needs to be, what does this mean in terms of 'suitability'? I can't imagine they would punish someone for having a beer in the parking lot before an MLB game .. anyone from CT with some thoughts??
    Almost all those that you mention are NOT jailable offenses. And, almost all states place most traffic infractions in a separate category known as Quasi-criminal, a civil matter with criminal punishments by only imposing a monetary fine.

You have almost convinced yourself on how you intend to proceed. I'm not here to convince you one way or the other.
    Last edited by color of law; 07-02-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Almost all those that you mention are NOT jailable offenses. And, almost all states place most traffic infractions in a separate category known as Quasi-criminal, a civil matter with criminal punishments by only imposing a monetary fine.

You have almost convinced yourself on how you intend to proceed. I'm not here to convince you one way or the other.
    If you go 1-10 mph over the speed limit in NYS you could go to jail for 15 days. So if you get a ticket for a traffic violation going 66 in NYS would you disclose it? I bet most wouldnít but based on what you say above it should be disclosed?

Source: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm

Well, that's novel. After asking for advise and presuming not to like the answer, mtc273 deletes his posts.

That was a waist of my time.

Im in Lebanon, CT. Today marks 8 weeks since I submitted my paperwork. All of my checks were cashed last month.
    I've called the first selectman's office a few times to check the status and they keep telling me (today too) that they are waiting for the state background check.

Should I submit an appeal today or wait a while longer? I don't want to rock the boat needlessly if it's not going to get my permit any faster.

Thanks for any help

I submitted all the correct paperwork and fingerprints to my town hall first selectman in Brooklyn, CT on 4/19/2018 with the hopes of reiceveing my temp permit around the 8 week mark But around week 9 it was getting a little concerning because 3 of my fingers didnít come out as clear as I liked on the print card when I had them taken at the PD. Keep in mind that my prints were not inked, they were scanned through the machine at the PD Which had no problem accepting them with the irregularities but just to make sure called the secretary for the first selectman to make sure the prints werenít rejected. The lady informed me that if she hasnít heard back from them by now that the prints were all good and I also asked if the process was still taking 8 weeks when she informed me that they were taking 10 weeks currently. Here we are 11 weeks later going on 12 with no information as to how far along my background check is or when it will be done, so I was wondering if anyone had any insite on what the delay is or if there is anything to speed up the process or get some answers out of these people!

Quote Originally Posted by HJS View Post
    I submitted all the correct paperwork and fingerprints to my town hall first selectman in Brooklyn, CT on 4/19/2018 with the hopes of reiceveing my temp permit around the 8 week mark But around week 9 it was getting a little concerning because 3 of my fingers didnít come out as clear as I liked on the print card when I had them taken at the PD. Keep in mind that my prints were not inked, they were scanned through the machine at the PD Which had no problem accepting them with the irregularities but just to make sure called the secretary for the first selectman to make sure the prints werenít rejected. The lady informed me that if she hasnít heard back from them by now that the prints were all good and I also asked if the process was still taking 8 weeks when she informed me that they were taking 10 weeks currently. Here we are 11 weeks later going on 12 with no information as to how far along my background check is or when it will be done, so I was wondering if anyone had any insite on what the delay is or if there is anything to speed up the process or get some answers out of these people!
    Move to Ohio. Max to get license is 45 days.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Move to Ohio. Max to get license is 45 days.
    Same in Virginia.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws...inia-gun-laws/
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

[QUOTE=color of law;2232797]Move to Ohio. Max to get license is 45 days.[/QUOTE
    They act as if Iím Al Capone! 3 months and counting is a little ridiculous, even if there is a backlog. Apparently all the Fees I paid prior to submitting the application didnít pay for the people to do their jobs. If my life was in danger Iím sure theyíd tell me ďcall 911Ē lol. The whole process is a joke and itís all about how much they can control while taking your money here. Iíd move to a state that wasnít as strict in a heartbeat if a house didnít cost more than a permit....yet!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Think you mean if the permit didn't cost more than the house....yet1
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-06-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: fixed
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.Ē Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

SPBI fingerprint backlog

I spoke with the CT State Police. They said they are currently getting to the fingerprints from April - so based on that it appears to be a 3 month wait minimum. Anyone get a permit recently that took less than 3 months? The whole thing is BS - they are definitely putting the pistol permits to the back burner. If this was a fingerprint background check for a job I'm sure it would be done within 1 week. I totally respect the urgency to turn around fingerprint checks for employment, but how can they turn those around so quick but have a 3 month backlog of pistol permit applications?

Quote Originally Posted by 19LG View Post
    I spoke with the CT State Police. They said they are currently getting to the fingerprints from April - so based on that it appears to be a 3 month wait minimum. Anyone get a permit recently that took less than 3 months? The whole thing is BS - they are definitely putting the pistol permits to the back burner. If this was a fingerprint background check for a job I'm sure it would be done within 1 week. I totally respect the urgency to turn around fingerprint checks for employment, but how can they turn those around so quick but have a 3 month backlog of pistol permit applications?
    Yeah I called the SPBI Monday and they said they were working on background checks from 4/14/18 and hopefully not too much longer. Thatís the same answer Iíve been given from day one by everyone I speak to which provides almost no clarity on when Im expected to get the temp permit. I find it odd that nobody can give me any info on how long itís going to take or how far along in the process my application is. The fastest part of this whole process was when they took my money. I also donít understand how the state mandates that issuing authorities have no later than 8 weeks to accept or deny an applicant, but towns are some how allowed to work at their own leisure without penalties or fines. There is no such thing as a ďbacklogĒ if you do your job correctly and stop infringing on peopleís constitutional rights for profit.

They cashed my check within 2 days. My town does it a bit different. You write one check to the town for $157 vs. 3 separate checks. I'm assuming the town then sends the payment to the State or the State bills the town. All I wanted to know is if my fingerprints were actually mailed to SPBI and if they had them in their possession. The person I spoke to didn't have a record of them. So I'm wondering if they are sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be logged in or if the town hasn't sent them in yet. My PD used the computer to take the prints. I don't think they send them electronically because they printed them out on a form and made me sign the form. Maybe I watch too much CSI but I figured that it wouldn't take that long to run the prints through the FBI database. I'm sure the SPBI gets a lot of fingerprint requests for jobs, police investigations, and pistol permits. I'm almost positive the pistol permit requests go to the bottom of the pile. Isn't the FBI IAFIS system electronic, with a response back to the state within 24 hours?

Yeah I called the SPBI Monday and they said they were working on background checks from 4/14/18 and hopefully not too much longer. Thatís the same answer Iíve been given from day one by everyone I speak to which provides almost no clarity on when Im expected to get the temp permit. I find it odd that nobody can give me any info on how long itís going to take or how far along in the process my application is. The fastest part of this whole process was when they took my money. I also donít understand how the state mandates that issuing authorities have no later than 8 weeks to accept or deny an applicant, but towns are some how allowed to work at their own leisure without penalties or fines. There is no such thing as a ďbacklogĒ if you do your job correctly and stop infringing on peopleís constitutional rights for profit.

They cashed my check within 2 days. My town does it a bit different. You write one check to the town for $157 vs. 3 separate checks. I'm assuming the town then sends the payment to the State or the State bills the town. All I wanted to know is if my fingerprints were actually mailed to SPBI and if they had them in their possession. The person I spoke to didn't have a record of them. So I'm wondering if they are sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be logged in or if the town hasn't sent them in yet. My PD used the computer to take the prints. I don't think they send them electronically because they printed them out on a form and made me sign the form. Maybe I watch too much CSI but I figured that it wouldn't take that long to run the prints through the FBI database. I'm sure the SPBI gets a lot of fingerprint requests for jobs, police investigations, and pistol permits. I'm almost positive the pistol permit requests go to the bottom of the pile. Isn't the FBI IAFIS system electronic, with a response back to the state within 24 hours?
    Your fingerprint are supposed to be sent out no later than 2 weeks after receiving your application if I remember correctly, but there is nothing to enforce the town to do anything in a timely fashion so I would not be suprised if the town is sitting on a pile of fingerprints they havenít sent out yet. Unfortunately there isnít really anything you can do at all other than calling the town hall and SPBI to get told that your background check will be done, ďwhen itís doneĒ. FBI background checks take no longer than 2 days maximum no matter what the issuing authority tells you, but unfortunately the state of Connecticut can take as long as they want to complete state background checks. Iíve been waiting 13 weeks and all I can really do is file a constructive denial appeal with the board but Iíd most likely have my permit by the time i seen anyone for a hearing. Try calling (860)685-8480 to see if they are working on applications submitted from the time you have submitted yours.

I think they have 5 business days to send in the fingerprints.

Your fingerprint are supposed to be sent out no later than 2 weeks after receiving your application if I remember correctly, but there is nothing to enforce the town to do anything in a timely fashion so I would not be suprised if the town is sitting on a pile of fingerprints they havenít sent out yet. Unfortunately there isnít really anything you can do at all other than calling the town hall and SPBI to get told that your background check will be done, ďwhen itís doneĒ. FBI background checks take no longer than 2 days maximum no matter what the issuing authority tells you, but unfortunately the state of Connecticut can take as long as they want to complete state background checks. Iíve been waiting 13 weeks and all I can really do is file a constructive denial appeal with the board but Iíd most likely have my permit by the time i seen anyone for a hearing. Try calling (860)685-8480 to see if they are working on applications submitted from the time you have submitted yours.

I think they have 5 business days to send in the fingerprints.
    Even if that is true thereís nobody is forcing them to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is wait then wait some more then say thank you when they finally give it to you. Itís a ridiculous system but thereís no way around it. I learned the hard way.

If the issuing authority didnít send my fingerprints and application in within 5 business days, would that be grounds to file an appeal with the board? Based on SPBI backlog Iím already sure they are going to blow right past 8 weeks. When I was being fingerprinted the officer told me they are approving permits in 6-8 weeks. Maybe they meant months? LOL

Even if that is true thereís nobody is forcing them to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is wait then wait some more then say thank you when they finally give it to you. Itís a ridiculous system but thereís no way around it. I learned the hard way.

East Haven Pistol Permit taking too long!

New here, Iím at 13 weeks currently. It will be 90 Days exactly on July 20th since everything was sent out on April 18th. Every time I call the department, they either never give me a straight answer, or tell me theyíre waiting on the state, and then it will take East Haven an additional two weeks! What gives? Is there anything I can do?

If the issuing authority didnít send my fingerprints and application in within 5 business days, would that be grounds to file an appeal with the board? Based on SPBI backlog Iím already sure they are going to blow right past 8 weeks. When I was being fingerprinted the officer told me they are approving permits in 6-8 weeks. Maybe they meant months? LOL
    It depends on when you submitted your application with the town hall. The state is supposed to give you a response with in 8 weeks and after that 8 weeks you can file an appeal but it will be a
    Year before you see the board which by then youíd probably already have your permit in hand. As for filing an appeal it wonít make things move Any faster but if by some chance you havenít received your permit within a year of submitting your application then the board will force the town hall to issue you a temp permit regardless if the background check has been completed or not. You should try calling your town hall and ask if your fingerprint have been submitted then id call the number I gave in the previous post to find out if they have you in the system. Either way itís most likely going to be longer than 8 weeks. I was told 8 as well when I submitted my application back in April and when I called after 8 weeks i was told itís currently 10 weeks.....well here I am 13 weeks later still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger33 View Post
    New here, Iím at 13 weeks currently. It will be 90 Days exactly on July 20th since everything was sent out on April 18th. Every time I call the department, they either never give me a straight answer, or tell me theyíre waiting on the state, and then it will take East Haven an additional two weeks! What gives? Is there anything I can do?
    Iím at 13 weeks as well. I submitted mine on the 19th of April. Unfortunately there is nothing you can really do but wait. If you call 860-685-8480 they might be able to tell you if they are working on background checks from when you submitted your application. I called them last Monday and they said they were currently working on applications from 4/14.

Waterbury

I enjoy following this thread since I've been waiting forever. In March I submitted all of my paperwork. 3 months to the day in June my references were called. It's been 31 days since they were called marking the 4 month period for me in Waterbury. Still nothing in the mail yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns View Post
    I enjoy following this thread since I've been waiting forever. In March I submitted all of my paperwork. 3 months to the day in June my references were called. It's been 31 days since they were called marking the 4 month period for me in Waterbury. Still nothing in the mail yet.

I was told by Hartford Cop that when it takes this long you have to call your local PD and almost harass them regarding the status of your permit. The local PD’s try to delay it as long as possible hoping you’ll just forget and they’ll issue it when they want to. But past 8 weeks is the deadline according to CT Law. I can’t believe how long this is taking for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger33 View Post
    I was told by Hartford Cop that when it takes this long you have to call your local PD and almost harass them regarding the status of your permit. The local PD’s try to delay it as long as possible hoping you’ll just forget and they’ll issue it when they want to. But past 8 weeks is the deadline according to CT Law. I can’t believe how long this is taking for us.
    I called one time and they told me they are not able to check the status of permits

If you read this thread you see the time to get your permit approved ranges from 2 weeks - 16 weeks, I'm not sure if the issue is the local PD or the State. I doubt the issue is with the FBI since they turn around their checks in quick fashion. My local PD said 6-8 weeks, I don't know what incentive they would have to 'lie' about that and a lot of people on this thread have gotten their permit in that time frame. Then again, the State just said last week that they are doing background checks from April so an application submitted today wouldn't be approved until October if you believe the State. So either the local PD is issuing temp permits without the State check coming back, or they were lying about the permits being issued within 6-8 weeks, but again, what incentive would they have to lie about it, they cash the check regardless if it is 6 weeks, 8 weeks, or 16 weeks. They must have told me 6-8 weeks based on recent experience.

Regardless, I think filing an appeal at 8 weeks is the way to go. I understand the board has a backlog of cases and you would have your permit before your hearing but it seems to be the only way to get the local PD to hustle up and get the permits approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns View Post
    I called one time and they told me they are not able to check the status of permits

If you read this thread you see the time to get your permit approved ranges from 2 weeks - 16 weeks, I'm not sure if the issue is the local PD or the State. I doubt the issue is with the FBI since they turn around their checks in quick fashion. My local PD said 6-8 weeks, I don't know what incentive they would have to 'lie' about that and a lot of people on this thread have gotten their permit in that time frame. Then again, the State just said last week that they are doing background checks from April so an application submitted today wouldn't be approved until October if you believe the State. So either the local PD is issuing temp permits without the State check coming back, or they were lying about the permits being issued within 6-8 weeks, but again, what incentive would they have to lie about it, they cash the check regardless if it is 6 weeks, 8 weeks, or 16 weeks. They must have told me 6-8 weeks based on recent experience.

Regardless, I think filing an appeal at 8 weeks is the way to go. I understand the board has a backlog of cases and you would have your permit before your hearing but it seems to be the only way to get the local PD to hustle up and get the permits approved.
    ó-Thank you for this information, Iím at 13 weeks so if itís gonna be an extra 2 or 3 until I get my temp, thatís fine. Iím just praying itís sooner!

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast