Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Results 601 to 624 of 624

Thread: How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

  1. #601
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Johearn View Post
    Called BFPE today, they verified receipt of my appeal letter and questionnaire. She said she only updates the appeal hearing schedule every 2 weeks so I should be receiving my preliminary hearing date via mail in another week or so. Will update once received.
    Do you think your application will move any faster by submitting an appeal?
    Last edited by jun; 09-27-2018 at 06:03 PM.

  2. #602
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Of course you believed her

    of course, I am sure there are not statutory timeframe mandates on processing appears

    CTís production of ghee is alive and well and I wonder if Scott wrote this to describe CT officialdom, ďOh what a tangled web we weave... once we practice to deceive.Ē
    I just don't get it. I follow the advice from the beginning of this post that you have been looking down on us all for "ignoring". I sent the appeal in via certified mail with a paper trail. I follow it up with a call to the INDEPENDENT board of firearms permit examiners to inquiry about said hearing date and then you talk down to me like I'm not doing enough? Am I supposed to quit my job and go protest outside the state capital until I am granted my permit and further inspire the legislature to remove all gun control laws with my heroic actions? WTF is it that you are trying to get from us solus? Rather than inspiring us to empower ourselves you are just driving more lurkers to not join and not post.

    Congrats, I am now done with this thread (unfortunate) and this forum (fortunate).

  3. #603
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Johearn View Post
    I just don't get it. I follow the advice from the beginning of this post that you have been looking down on us all for "ignoring". I sent the appeal in via certified mail with a paper trail. I follow it up with a call to the INDEPENDENT board of firearms permit examiners to inquiry about said hearing date and then you talk down to me like I'm not doing enough? Am I supposed to quit my job and go protest outside the state capital until I am granted my permit and further inspire the legislature to remove all gun control laws with my heroic actions? WTF is it that you are trying to get from us solus? Rather than inspiring us to empower ourselves you are just driving more lurkers to not join and not post.

    Congrats, I am now done with this thread (unfortunate) and this forum (fortunate).
    johearn, sorry if you presumed you were talked down to ~ yippee, you filed an appeal! CT officialdom doesn’t care and absolutely NOTHING will change! But Hey let me call someone inside the officialdom profit center and see if there is a problem ~ darn they told me there is a backlog, now i will go wait some more.

    Doing enough, really?

    have you pushed the issue in writing to the agency’s sr mgmt for resolution?

    have you ping’d the governing agency’s under freedom of information to get how many applied, how long the wait, how many have appealed, AND how many CT citizens have been awarded their permit/license?

    Now you have objective ammunition to present to media, lawmakers, governor, ad nauseam instead of being perceived as an isolated, slipped through the crack whining individual.

    have you pushed newspeek media to do an investigative reporting on the subject?

    thought about ping’g NRA/ SAF/ NSSF/ other pro gun groups for their intervention?

    did you let your elected officials, state and local, know you’re really cranky to the point you will work tirelessly to removed them from office?

    does the governor know you’re upset the statutory mandates from six years ago do not WORK.

    does you’re state level grassroots entity know your upset and are asking for there assistance?

    NAWLLL, johearn, my previous post wasn’t talking down...

    so when you are out having dinner and something is amiss with service/food/bill do you call the waiter/wait staff/cook for remediation of your problem, real or imagined?

    Yes the peon(s) can possibly affect change to your immediate issue but cannot fix the inbred pervasive issues since they cannot fire the cook for bad food, nor fire the wait staff for dirty tables, nor fire servers for being rude.

    Only management can affect overal process change ~ you and the other CT keep whining to the peons who can’t change the process, governed by stautory time lines, and to be honest the peons don’t want to change cuz it is their livelihood.

    You and CT citizens, ever since the CT laws were changed o/a 2012, have done absolutely nothing to affect a change in your situation whatsoever, except whining woe is us, lookie here at the injustice, ‘called this agency or that ~ nothing’ woe is us...

    FIVE YEARS of the same whining rhetoric, all for a piece of paper the majority of states grant their citizens without a shred of effort.

    oh, the state won’t let citizens use recreational marijuana or
    oh, the state won’t grant same sex marriage licenses and allow civil union or...

    keep whining and see what you’ll keep getting...[easier to get an IL FOID card]

    I’m keeping more CT citizens from whining about the same pervasive problem the CT citizens refuse to jump up and down about, wait, let me call someone who gives a rat’s...
    Last edited by solus; 09-28-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  4. #604
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    60

    Latest update from SPBI

    I haven't confirmed this myself, but have heard second hand that CT SPBI is processing apps from June now with the backlog down to around 12 weeks. If anyone has heard something similar let the board know. Just passing along what I heard

  5. #605
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    60

    SPBI UPDATE

    Per my call today with CT State Police: They are currently processing fingerprint submissions from July 5th. I don't know how many weeks it is once they start to process the prints, but that is the latest update.

  6. #606
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2
    My police department (Middletown) sent my permit application on June 6th. They used a fingerprint card, it wasn't digital. First the department told me August, then September, and now end of October. I've called state police multiple times and it's the same old response about them processing older applications and being backlogged. Really frustrating experience and unfair towards the 2nd amendment in my opinion.

  7. #607
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2
    At this point I'm tempted to call the NRA or ACLU about these issues. Who knows how useful our actual elected officials will be. Reading through this thread, I'm not the only potential gun owner who's gone through this. It's been a pervasive issue for a while. We shouldn't have to go through an insane process and waiting period like this.

  8. #608
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by sbj View Post
    At this point I'm tempted to call the NRA or ACLU about these issues. Who knows how useful our actual elected officials will be. Reading through this thread, I'm not the only potential gun owner who's gone through this. It's been a pervasive issue for a while. We shouldn't have to go through an insane process and waiting period like this.
    Welcome to OPEN CARRY forum sbj,

    BTW did you state the obvious ~ CT officials have been abrogating State stautes for a while and it seems pervasive?

    Please take a moment and read the five years of posts on this thread as well as read the Ďwell what can we do aboutí it commentary. As well as discern no CT citizens apparently care enough to jump up and down so CTís officialdom maintains status quo over its citizens.

    But welcome nonetheless
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #609
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ky.
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by sbj View Post
    At this point I'm tempted to call the NRA or ACLU about these issues. Who knows how useful our actual elected officials will be. Reading through this thread, I'm not the only potential gun owner who's gone through this. It's been a pervasive issue for a while. We shouldn't have to go through an insane process and waiting period like this.
    I bet that ACLU will get right on the problem. I'd look for a solution before the month is out. They are well know as the "go to" defender of gun owners and gun rights.

  10. #610
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sbj View Post
    My police department (Middletown) sent my permit application on June 6th. They used a fingerprint card, it wasn't digital. First the department told me August, then September, and now end of October. I've called state police multiple times and it's the same old response about them processing older applications and being backlogged. Really frustrating experience and unfair towards the 2nd amendment in my opinion.
    Middletown is one of those cities known for taking their sweet time to approve permits even after receiving the state record back. The State as of last week was working on prints from July 5th. I bet you Middletown already has your results back. The State could tell you the date they were sent back to Middletown. My bet is this is a case of Middletown not putting a priority on permits. Plus doesnít Middletown require additional info like letters of recommendations? The State, while slow, has been consistent at their 13 week backlog. The reason some people get their permits at 14 weeks vs 16-18 weeks is all due to the town in which you reside. Some towns can conclude their own investigation very quickly once they get the prints back. Other bigger towns and cities donít have a dedicated person handling the permits. They get to them when they get to them since they are typically dealing with other issues like high crime. Luckily Iím in a sleepy town and our PD has someone assigned to the permits. This person answers the phone when you call and returns emails. They told me that my permit will be typed up the moment they get the report back which should be either late this week or next week. That would mirror the 14-15 week wait other residents in my town have had. Sorry for the rambling post but the State almost certainly has already sent your results back to Middletown.

  11. #611
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by 19LG View Post
    Snipppp...

    Luckily Iím in a sleepy town and our PD has someone assigned to the permits. This person answers the phone when you call and returns emails. They told me that my permit will be typed up...snipped...

    Sorry for the rambling post but the State almost certainly has already sent your results back to Middletown.
    19LG, perhaps you should contact the State and tell them you, in your current volunteer role of CTís ad hoc conceal carry permit/license coordinator, you want recognition ~ title, stipend, cost plus for internet/phone, and so forth.

    Btw 19LG, the local PD took a snapshot for your wall of your state office showing how diligently they responded to citizenís inquiries checking on the status of their ďpermits/licensesĒ

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2B91194-8F95-4944-B477-0F1263F9080F.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	13504
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  12. #612
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1

    A little over 12 weeks

    I have been lurking on this thread for a while.

    I submitted my application on July 11th and picked up my temporary permit yesterday.

    Plan on heading to Bridgeport this week to get my permanent license.
    Last edited by TB12; 10-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.

  13. #613
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    60

    Permit received today

    14 weeks and 4 days total time. Went right to the state police for the 5 year permit

  14. #614
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Waterbury
    Posts
    2
    got my permit today. 139 days from Waterbury.

  15. #615
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,678
    Should never take that long. If we can do instant background checks to buy a firearm in 15 minutes, then that person is in possession of a firearm. What difference does it make that a permit takes even one more day?

    I find it rather absurd.
    On trolls: It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels (2 Tim 2:23) // An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins (Pro 29:22) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

  16. #616
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Putnam
    Posts
    2
    Submitted my digital fingerprints August 15th in Putnam. Asked the status today and apparently theyíre still backed up into June.

  17. #617
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Should never take that long. If we can do instant background checks to buy a firearm in 15 minutes, then that person is in possession of a firearm. What difference does it make that a permit takes even one more day?

    I find it rather absurd.
    hummm...me thinks you have not noticed this situation as discussed on this forum's thread has been going on for about five years...

    absurd, no it is normalcy for the CT firearm owning citizens who allow the 'absurdity' to continue!
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  18. #618
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Submitted my digital fingerprints August 15th in Putnam. Asked the status today and apparently theyíre still backed up into June.
    Welcome Mephisto...uh, which JUNE ~ really?
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  19. #619
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    ...me thinks you have not noticed...
    Troll behavior reported.
    Last edited by since9; 10-30-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    On trolls: It is to one's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel (Pro 20:3) // Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels (2 Tim 2:23) // An angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins (Pro 29:22) // I came here to build Pro-2A consensus to help our country, not trade insults like a fifth-grader. If you're on ignore, well, now you know why.

  20. #620
    Regular Member solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    here nc
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Troll behavior reported.
    again, hypocritical behaviour...ROFLMAO...and here you have told everyone you put me on 'ignore' cuz do not care...yet here you are...
    I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small. Baconís great-grandson.

    Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

    Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  21. #621
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Putnam
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    Welcome Mephisto...uh, which JUNE ~ really?
    Yeah apparently June from what I was told. Maybe Ill get a Christmas present from DPS (which Im actually paying for)

  22. #622
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    waterbury ct
    Posts
    1

    holding pattern in wtby ct

    filed for my temp permit in Waterburyct aug 28th this year. was told by the lady behind the counter that It could take up to 6 months. im looking to find out how long its taken some fols to get their permit in Waterbury ct. thanks.

  23. #623
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    17
    20 weeks and a day from submittal to temporary permit issue.

    Took 6 weeks for the state to receive payment from town and enter me into the SPBI background check queue. This was wasted time, when submitting your application kindly remind the officer in charge of the statute mandate of 5 business days to forward both application/fingerprints as well as payment (I can provide citation of the exact paragraph later when I have it in front of me, assuming this hurts solus' feelings).

    13.5 weeks for SPBI to burn through the queue and then conduct criminal background check and return results (along with FBI national check) to town. Not much you can do about this, the statute provides cover for the state in cases where the criminal history check is not complete in 8 weeks (cite can be provided later). The town is also pretty powerless to speed up the state as they have no real influence either.

    0.5 weeks for town to check the criminal check results, have chief of Police approve, and notify me that my temp permit was available. This was executed in less than the mandated 5 business days (again can cite later if needed) so shout out to the detective in charge for getting it done promptly.

    If you are submitting in a town that does it all by the book, looks like average wait time should be right around 14 weeks with the majority of the delay coming from the state. If your town is slow either through ignorance to the statute or willful violation it could be more like 20. Hope this helps anyone about to begin the process!

  24. #624
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Johearn View Post
    20 weeks and a day from submittal to temporary permit issue.

    Took 6 weeks for the state to receive payment from town and enter me into the SPBI background check queue. This was wasted time, when submitting your application kindly remind the officer in charge of the statute mandate of 5 business days to forward both application/fingerprints as well as payment (I can provide citation of the exact paragraph later when I have it in front of me, assuming this hurts solus' feelings).

    13.5 weeks for SPBI to burn through the queue and then conduct criminal background check and return results (along with FBI national check) to town. Not much you can do about this, the statute provides cover for the state in cases where the criminal history check is not complete in 8 weeks (cite can be provided later). The town is also pretty powerless to speed up the state as they have no real influence either.

    0.5 weeks for town to check the criminal check results, have chief of Police approve, and notify me that my temp permit was available. This was executed in less than the mandated 5 business days (again can cite later if needed) so shout out to the detective in charge for getting it done promptly.

    If you are submitting in a town that does it all by the book, looks like average wait time should be right around 14 weeks with the majority of the delay coming from the state. If your town is slow either through ignorance to the statute or willful violation it could be more like 20. Hope this helps anyone about to begin the process!

    It took me 14 weeks, 4 days. Application submitted in July 2018. It was actually approved in 14 weeks, 1 day but the approval was mailed.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •