• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Can I assume that you told her that you just got done cleaning your Howitzer and decided on calling? :cool:

You are lucky....enjoy your permit

Issuing authorities can take as long as they want when processing permit applications; there is no penalty for violating the 8 week provision. All it means is that an applicant has a right to file a constructive denial claim after that time period.

SPBI

Fyi to anyone looking to call Louise at spbi she emailed me that she took another position and is no longer in the spbi unit and a lady by the name of Annette Scott has taken over her position..

a-sto21

Waterbury fingerprinting scam?

I went for my permit training course back on September 2, 2017. I went to hand in my paperwork and get finger printed on September 21st. Then I received a letter 2 weeks later, stating that my finger prints did not come out clear on the computer scanner and needed to go get them retaken. As I did, and the Forensic Officer did them the old school way with ink this time around.

Today is January 30, 2018. The people which wrote my reference letters were just called by the Waterbury PD for verification 2 weeks ago. Now I am awaiting for the next step to be completed. Not certain if the next step of the process consists of both the State Police and FBI or what. Although, hopefully soon I will receive my letter so I can go to Middletown and get my state permit.

Waterbury, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford take the longest to process these applications. My friends which live in other towns did not take long at all.

Best regards,

I submitted my paperwork to Waterbury 1 month ago and today I also got a letter stating my fingerprints need to be redone due to them not coming out good enough. I’m starting to think this is a tactic they use to delay the process for people obtaining a pistol permit. I was there for 15 minutes with the guy doing my fingerprints the first time. There is no way they didn’t come out good enough. He did each finger multiple times as well. Now I need to take more time off work to do the fingerprints because they only do them from 10-2pm. Very frustrating.

Last edited:
SPBI backlog

Just got off the phone with the lady at ct spbi and she said they are just getting to prints from late January vary early February. It sounds like there's at least a month backlog right now..

MJG123

Norwalk PD

Submitted my permit application 11/27/17 to Norwalk PD. Fingerprints were received by SPBI 12/14/17 and background check was sent to Norwalk PD 2/15/18. I have called multiple times to check the status and all I get is "application is with Deputy Chief, we will call you when its finalized." I have started the Constructive Denial Appeal process, but will continue to call them and check routinely going forward.

docchioj

I submitted my paperwork to Waterbury 1 month ago and today I also got a letter stating my fingerprints need to be redone due to them not coming out good enough. I’m starting to think this is a tactic they use to delay the process for people obtaining a pistol permit. I was there for 15 minutes with the guy doing my fingerprints the first time. There is no way they didn’t come out good enough. He did each finger multiple times as well. Now I need to take more time off work to do the fingerprints because they only do them from 10-2pm. Very frustrating.

Same happened to me.
Here are we March of 2018, I handed in my paper work in September 2017. Still no response letter.

Last edited:

Amymercedi

Thank you!

Fyi to anyone looking to call Louise at spbi she emailed me that she took another position and is no longer in the spbi unit and a lady by the name of Annette Scott has taken over her position..

I was going to call tomorrow! I submitted my paperwork 2/9/2018, I was told it would take 12 weeks. But by law they have 8 weeks to deny me or send me the temp permit, Correct? April 5th will be 8 FULL weeks. Once April 5th hits, I should file an appeal? Or has Greenwich been pretty good?

PAROBEHA

My Prints were submitted 2/9 so I may be a lucky one?

Applied in Prospect, December 1 2017. Prints rejected and redone three times, final time at State Police Barracks in Bethany, on December 27 2017. March 16 and nothing! I have called twice and get no real info. Glad to hear I am not alone! There is absolutely nothing in my past that should cause an issue, so getting really frustrated.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Applied in Prospect, December 1 2017. Prints rejected and redone three times, final time at State Police Barracks in Bethany, on December 27 2017. March 16 and nothing! I have called twice and get no real info. Glad to hear I am not alone! There is absolutely nothing in my past that should cause an issue, so getting really frustrated.
You don't remember that one time?????:lol:

docchioj

Local Permit Approved

Came home from work this afternoon 3-21-2018, checked my mail, and guess what finally arrived!!!!! A letter from the Waterbury PD, informing me that that my temporary state permit to carry pistols or revolvers has been APPROVED as of February 9, 2018.
I am going to the Waterbury PD tomorrow (Thursday) and going to go pick up my paper work.

docchioj

State permit

Will I need to fill out the Pistol Permit/Eligibility Certificate Application again as I did for the local permit and get it notarized, or can I just pick up my local permit and go to Middletown on Friday?

Last edited:
Prints

How long is it taking the state to send background checks back to the towns.the lady at the state will only tell me that my prints where entered into the system at 2/28/18. It will be 8 weeks in a few days..

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
How long is it taking the state to send background checks back to the towns.the lady at the state will only tell me that my prints where entered into the system at 2/28/18. It will be 8 weeks in a few days..
In Ohio your prints are turned around in minutes if done electronically. Ink prints, a couple of weeks.

docchioj

City Of Waterbury

I went to pick up temp permit today at the Waterbury PD. As was completing my tasks with the lady at the records office, another gentlemen came in looking to apply for his permit. The gentleman asked me how long it took. I informed 6 months. The lady informed the gentleman that he can get his finger prints done today. Although, since people submit one item at a time with the paper work and information needed, which one of the reasons it takes people longer to get their temp permits. The lady stated, they now wait until all of the paper work in completed and handed in to submit everything at once, so items are not scattered all over the place.

Last edited:

Amymercedi

8 weeks and 1 day

Should I wait a week and then send the letter? Submitted my paperwork on 2/8/18 and they took all of my $$$
Does anyone have a turnaround time for Greenwich, CT?

Redbaron1216

9 1/2 Weeks

It took less time to be approved for Foster care. I guess kids aren't as important as approving a pistol permit for someone that has never even gotten a parking ticket. Is there something wrong with that picture?

Visited Orange PD last week. They have everything there except from the state. I hate this state! They aren't happy unless they are taxing you to death or torturing you slowlyyyyy and painfullyyyyy.

Meanwhile, I'm going broke having to pay an instructor $100 hr so I can practice shooting my New Sig 229 Legion that I bought, (She's a beast)...which has to stay at the store until I get my permit. In a way, I'm glad to have an instructor ...I've learned a lot. That's a good thing.

UPDATE: 4/11/18
10 Weeks exactly..it's on the Chief's desk for signature so hopefully later today or tomorrow.

UPDATE: 4/13/18 Finally signed by the Chief and in my hands. Monday off to get the permanent license.

Last edited: